ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Compact Camera??

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Hi folks :)

I don't know my @rse from my elbow photography-wise.

My missus has dropped hints about wanting 'an SLR' for her b/day - but she didn't realise they are the 'big black ones' :eek:

What she's really after is a very good quality compact camera - better than her and my crap ones at the moment (that take shocking pics at night, take ages between shots etc).

So, please can somebody point me in the direction of today's market's 'best' model?

I don't have a budget, I'm resigned to the idea that it will cost me a fair few quid... :S

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers, Baggers.

If she wants a fairly compact SLR check my for sale thread ;)

olympus_e-420_inhand.jpg

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
been seeing adverts for lumix g1 cameras?
apparently the smallest slr camera.

f**k knows

Oil Burner
the g1 is awesome, played with one for a bit at work, v impressed, cant recommend it enough. maybe a tad pricey though.

Thanks for your help so far chaps - had a look at the G1 and it's too pricey, and falls into the category of 'big black ones'! :rasp:

She's really after a camera that can be carried in a pocket or handbag, but one that will take decent quality pictures... I know this is, by definition, a complete compromise.

I'm looking at the following two Lumix models:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/287749/module/general/compare/products/displayResult.html?p=DMC-TZ7&p=DMC-TZ6

And also the following Canon:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX200_IS/index.asp

I've been told that the Canon lenses are better than the ones in the Lumix models, but the Lumix cameras have better reviews and do the one thing that I want: take lots of pics one after another (like a 'proper' SLR?) - whereas the Canon will take a maximum of 2...

What do you think??

Cheers, Baggers.

Thanks for your input guys - I have bought her a TZ7 :)

Researching it all has got my juices flowing for a camera for myself...

I think I'm going to get a Lumix FZ8 or FZ18 s/hand 'bridge' camera... Can be had cheap and seem an awful lot of kit for the cash...

Anyone got one they want to get rid of? :eek:

Cheers, Baggers.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I <3 my Canon. For a true compact, the Ixus series are unbeatable IMHO, however it doesn't sound like she quite wants one of those...

D40 a bit big? Got one of those going spare...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I had a Fuji S5800 .. it's a bridge SLR (better lens than a tiny compact, but doesnt have the swappable lenses that an SLR has) and was around the 90 quid mark when I got it about a year or so ago. Very good camera .. blew my friend's expensive compact out the water on holiday, but compared to my DSLR Canon (450D) it's a heap of poo haha

Find a budget .. then do some homework and get the best thing you can for that amount :)

The reason it takes ages for night shots is that it is automatically adjusting for the amount of light, and knows it will need several seconds to get a decent exposure :)