ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Brake Pads

Clio 182
Hi Everyone,

Looking at upgrading my front discs to the brembo HC ones as they seem to be the most popular on here, only not sure of the pads to put with it.
Spent 3 days reading about it and still not really sure.
Dont do track days although i do push my car pretty hard on the road so dont want sh!t ones, but also not really willing to fork out stupid money for some.
Any recommendations for a decent, fair priced set of pads will be much appreciated.

And lastly, back discs n pads, should i stick with standard setup or anybody got advice on this too?

Cheers folks

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
What do you class as stupid money?

For the rear, general consensus is that standard is fine - I only really use my car on the track and have found that too.

Clio 182
well i can see that the Ferodo DS2500 pads cost a fair bit but from what I've read they're for track days more then road driving. Want something abit cheaper then them!
So the back i'll just get some standard discs, any recommendations on the pads?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Rear pads - I've got some Ferodo OE spec ones that were about £15 I think, work fine.

For the front, not really sure of good road pads, sorry. All my research/use has been for track use...

DS2500s aren't for track days, they're a 'fast road' pad iirc.

DON'T buy cheap pads, same goes for tyres too. Just buy decent stuff.

Rear pads, get some Halfords stuff, the rear doesnt do much anyway so you dont need super good pads.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
ds2500 are definitely a track pad!! thats why they run without anti squeel shims.

For a near standard car I'd spec just ordinary Pagid disks and pads on the front, and genuine rear disks with Motrio pads.

and just to dispell another myth, Bembo HC's are not an upgrade. They're simply a standard brake disk

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive got standard discs and ds2500's and they are spot on for the road, great on track too

Renault Sport 182
Im just going Standardish allround, mine had mintex on the front which i really dont rate, noticed the pad surface is actually seperating from the metal and are full of cracks.

Got Frerodo for the rear and think im going for the brembo on the front.

williams 2,seat leon
i run pagid blues on mine. not standard pagid pads. not cheap but ive never had any probs from them. ok from cold and get better with abuse/hard use.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
To be honest, unless you drive like a complete bellend, there isnt that much wrong with the standard Renault stuff.

If you want better, DS2500 or Mintex 1144 pads on the front.

For the rear, whatever is cheapest, they do naff all.

Lionel Richie
hands up all the bellends!!!!!! (raise your arm, not actually stick your hand up a bellend as that would hurt)

DS2500s aren't for track days, they're a 'fast road' pad iirc.

DON'T buy cheap pads, same goes for tyres too. Just buy decent stuff.

Rear pads, get some Halfords stuff, the rear doesnt do much anyway so you dont need super good pads.
Nope there not fast roadd the packet makes it clear there not road legal since there not tested for road use

Your right about tyres and brakees but most people can use stock parts without issue

As for whats the best depends what you want stock isn't bad its an all round some will want to argue 8 pots are the best with super hard endurance race pads but few people want this sort of brakes or need them.

Seat Ibiza
I'm just a road driver with standard brakes and they seem brilliant, all I have extra is braided lines!

How hard do you want to brake???

Nope there not fast roadd the packet makes it clear there not road legal since there not tested for road use

Your right about tyres and brakees but most people can use stock parts without issue

As for whats the best depends what you want stock isn't bad its an all round some will want to argue 8 pots are the best with super hard endurance race pads but few people want this sort of brakes or need them.

Don't most 'decent' pads say that?

The Mintex 1155s on my VX say they shouldn't be used on the road too.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I find the standard brakes very good on the 1*2s so if for road get a good quality oem pad from the likes of Brembo, Mintex, etc.
For "fast road" the Mintex M1144 and for track the ds2500, but these are overkill and a few quid if just for road imo.

Keep the rear standard/good quality manufacturers oem.

Evo 5 RS
Mintex 1144s are ok on the road, but turn to cheese on track after a couple of laps. Could be another contender.

A couple? As many as that? lol

Nothing wrong with the standard pads for a road car tbh, pagid blues are a nice compromise of both worlds but are stupid money now :(

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Standard 172 brakes are great imo. For the track you will get fade on most road pads I've have thought. I say +1 for DS2500s though, I'll be getting those on mine soon.

edde had them on his dci (with slicks!) at the nurburgring and the braking force was intense to say the least.

172 Cup
Just put Brembo HC's, DS2500'S, Goodridge lines and motul RBF 660 fluid on the cup and i have to say once you get a bit of heat into them they are quality!

I also ran Mintex 1144's on my saxo VTS and they have a slightly better bite from cold than the DS2500 but seemed to fade after a few quick heavey bursts where as the DS2500's dont ;)

172 Cup
I cant say as i have noticed mine squeeling yet, i know when my brother ran them on his ek9 type r they only gave off a small amount of squeel after very hard use so it wasnt a problem when you were pottering around town.

Clio 182
i think some folk have failed to read the part "i dont wanna spend stupid money" £200 for a set of pads, i'd rather open the door n stick my foot out to stop me!
As i'm not goin on the track i take it i could just use the standard oem parts all round then, maybe with some mintex front pads? anybody know best place/website to get them off, seen a few on ebay but if somebody can recommend somewhere it'd be much appreaciated

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
dont use anything but genuine rear disks and bearings. It's false economy, you'll be having new bearings pressed in within 6 months.

I'm £99 plus postage for "standard" pagid front disks and pads together

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
errrrr included with the front disks? no

Rears are £124.40 including bearings, pre pressed, and pads are £20

Don't most 'decent' pads say that?

The Mintex 1155s on my VX say they shouldn't be used on the road too.
Whats wrong with standard? Most people would never fully use them anway.

I'll be totally honest in the past few years in my car the fact its got "decient pads" have not beeen needed. if anyhting they are more problem