ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best antivirus?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Re: What anti-virus?

Lol yeah f*ck it. Don't wear your seatbelt either, I mean, how many times do you crash? Just don't drive faster than 5mph and you'll be fine.

AVG is perfect and free.

AVG etc works fine for me, i'd leave Norton alone as it's rubbish (in my experience it lets viruses through)

I wouldn't bother with any Antivirus to be honest. I mean how many times has your old antivirus picked anything up? They just slow your PC down on boot and during normal tasks. Just don't go on any dodgy looking websites, dont read any stupid emails that are obviously going to be a worm, update Windows and you will be fine. If you ever want to do a virus scan then go to trend micros website and do a free web based one.
A few times actually.
To say that you may as well do without it is silly tbh. It's like saying "if you've never had your house burgled you can leave your front door open"

Daft tbh.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

I wouldn't bother with any Antivirus to be honest. I mean how many times has your old antivirus picked anything up? They just slow your PC down on boot and during normal tasks. Just don't go on any dodgy looking websites, dont read any stupid emails that are obviously going to be a worm, update Windows and you will be fine. If you ever want to do a virus scan then go to trend micros website and do a free web based one.

Oh my, online fraud victim in the making here.

BMW 320ci

Cheers all, I got AVG now seems to be doing the job and comps alot faster now :).

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

It beggars belief how stupid some people are. It doesn't matter how careful you are, you will get viruse's, its a fact of the internet, you can go on the safest looking website in the world, open the most innocent email from your friend or accept that song you've wanted for so long on msn and you won't even know you've got a virus because you don't check.

Then in a few years you make the biggest thread of need CS has ever seen because you've had your credit card details stolen.

It beggars belief how stupid some people are. It doesn't matter how careful you are, you will get viruse's, its a fact of the internet, you can go on the safest looking website in the world, open the most innocent email from your friend or accept that song you've wanted for so long on msn and you won't even know you've got a virus because you don't check.

Then in a few years you make the biggest thread of need CS has ever seen because you've had your credit card details stolen.

It beggars belief how people listen to the marketing shite that companies like Norton or McAfee drivel on about. Ive had a PC for the best part of 15 years and have managed to have all of 2 viruses in that time, both of which were my own fault. If you use hotmail etc then you will find that emails are already scanned for viruses by the mail servers.

Most viruses will run on your PC which in turn will have a process that will show up in your task manager anyway.

Its simple, download music and other things legally from a well known source, if you do a google search for something then check the actual link its taking you too which is in green - if it looks a little odd then it probably is and google check websites that it searches through for viruses anyway which is why you may get "This website may harm your computer" when you click the search result. Once you learn how to do all of that then uninstall your AV and enjoy a nice speedy boot time followed by enjoyable use of your PC without your AV shouting at you to update itself and wanting to scan everything at all times and whenever you feel you want to give your PC a quick scan then go to any of the free online virus checkers and give it a quick scan for your own piece of mind. We have 2 PC's and 6 laptops in my house and not one of them has had a virus for the past 5 years.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

2 viruse's that you know about.

I don't believe marketing s**te, my dad runs a computer repair business, i see firsthand how many stupid people there are out there like yourself who think they don't need it because they're careful, then my dad installs anti-virus on their comp and finds 200 viruse's (actually happened) that they didn't know were there because they don't check, they claimed to be "careful" too.

Its like saying you don't need to wear a condom because your careful and pull out. fantastic 90% of the time, but what about the times it doesn't work out?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

Yes it is. Superb little program. That + AVG = win. Krispwee lol. Go and install AVG or summat and run a scan see how many viruses it finds.

VaVa

To say that you may as well do without it is silly tbh. It's like saying "if you've never had your house burgled you can leave your front door open"

Daft tbh.

That's a s**t analogy.

Its like saying you don't need to wear a condom because your careful and pull out. fantastic 90% of the time, but what about the times it doesn't work out?

As is that.

I love the way you misguided fools talk like anit-virus software is infaliable, too.

I'm behind a router, all my email is scanned (and only opened from known sources regardless) and I don't go on s**t sites. There are lots of filters, blocker etc built into most browsers these days, smart filters for downloads etc.

Like I said, 4 years and not so much as a pop up. No credit card fraud, nothing.

I tried NOD32, but that was just as hungry as the rest. I don't want everything on my PC monitored everytime I click it, slowing the whole thing down. My choice. ;)

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

I'd say its a pretty good analogy tbh. If you didn't have a s**t comp then some of these virus programs wouldn't slow it down.

I personally use avast, it doesn't slow my comp down at all when its running and my comp isn't exactly top of the range anymore, i can be playing MW:2 and all sorts and it runs sweet as. I don't go on dodgy sites or open files either, i'd consider myself careful, but i've got viruse's a couple of times. Sure it can get annoying when you get some stupid yank c**t telling you its updated every time you turn the comp on but its worth it.

Its pure stupidity it really is and if you cannot see that then you've got the brains of a rocking horse tbh, your right it is your choice, and you might be lucky and it'll turn out to be right one, but i'd rather have the peace of mind that if i am unlucky, i'm not as likely to get fucked in the ass by a nigerian as you are.

Heres another analogy for you:

Its like driving round without insurance. You might go through your whole life and not crash, when you get to 70 you'll think to yourself I've saved myself a shedload there.

Then again, you might one day get some c**t crash into you, it won't be your fault, but you've got no insurance, your fucked and suddenly wish you'd bothered with insurance even if it was expensive (or in the case of anti virus software , even if it does slow your comp down a bit, which if you had a decent one, it wouldn't)

Iceberg Ph1

Got to love the way most threads seem to turn into a right face off recently. Dan simply asked what Anti virus and wham!

Been working with computers for the best part of 10 years now and I would say I know my stuff, running any computer without a AV is prone to virus attacks in one way or another, whether it be a simple mail ware pop up or a full blown munch your hard drive virus the risk these days are simply not worth it, the amount of personal data I have saved onto my PC is beyond any risk I am willing to take to not be protected, if you think you will never get one then your a tad foolish, it can happen and for the sake of a free download like AVG (which IMO is probably one of the best AV out there) is it worth it to you?

Dan, AVG would be my number 1 choice any day of the week, used it ever sense it was first released and have never changed over the years, top choice mate.

VaVa

I'd say its a pretty good analogy tbh. If you didn't have a s**t comp then some of these virus programs wouldn't slow it down.

I personally use avast, it doesn't slow my comp down at all when its running and my comp isn't exactly top of the range anymore, i can be playing MW:2 and all sorts and it runs sweet as. I don't go on dodgy sites or open files either, i'd consider myself careful, but i've got viruse's a couple of times. Sure it can get annoying when you get some stupid yank c**t telling you its updated every time you turn the comp on but its worth it.

Its pure stupidity it really is and if you cannot see that then you've got the brains of a rocking horse tbh, your right it is your choice, and you might be lucky and it'll turn out to be right one, but i'd rather have the peace of mind that if i am unlucky, i'm not as likely to get f**ked in the ass by a nigerian as you are.

Heres another analogy for you:

Its like driving round without insurance. You might go through your whole life and not crash, when you get to 70 you'll think to yourself I've saved myself a shedload there.

Then again, you might one day get some c**t crash into you, it won't be your fault, but you've got no insurance, your f**ked and suddenly wish you'd bothered with insurance even if it was expensive (or in the case of anti virus software , even if it does slow your comp down a bit, which if you had a decent one, it wouldn't)

Again, your analogy is wide of the mark. Better than the first one though. I hear what you're saying... but...

I know of people who've had trouble with viruses and have had the latest all-singing all dancing AV software yet still get infected. There's no water tight guarantee, and the fact the people on here with AV software have had trouble with viruses, and I haven't, says a lot imho.

I've no doubt that AV software is good back up - I'll probably perform a scan once a year, then delete the software - But ultimately there's no substitute for being a bit savvy imho.

I have no private information stored on my PC. None of my passwords are remembered by my browser.... I have a firewall running..... For me, the advantages of AV software are outweighed by the negatives.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

Well see, you've just made a common mistake right there, anti-virus software is not designed to stop you getting viruse's in the first place because thats almost impossible. Its designed to detect them ASAP and remove them. You can't just put AV software on your computer and say "right im protected now".

Thats another thing people say to my dad, "oh its not a virus thats the problem because i have software so im protected" then my dad will ask if they ever actually run a scan and they're like "err well.. no".

VaVa

Dude. We're not going to agree on this. You keep missing my point.

I'd suggest it's you that's "stupid" and has "the brains of a rocking horse" ;)

Last edited:
  57 Clio Campus Sport

Why on earth would you not use av software? You say you never get viruses but you wouldn't know if you did because you've got no av software to tell you when you do. Stop being such a tard

DMS

A thirsty 172

AVG uses too many system resources IMO.
When you look at the memory usage of the AVG processes and compare them to what NOD32 or Avast! are like on idle you'll see why I never recommend it to people. I personally use Microsoft ForeFront now because I have a Technet subscription at work and just downloaded it from there. It's essentially the same as Windows Defender just with a few more features, and is managable via Group Policy if required. It doesn't use any more resources than Defender either, which is my main reason for using it.
NOD32 and Avast! are perfectly good AV applications though, and I'd recommend using those over anything else. Sophos AV is also good, just don't install the NAC component because it conflicts with Windows Firewall under Windows Vista and 7 (should be fixed in the next full release).

172 mk2 Iceberg

Avast has been great for years

the hackers recommended it so good enough for me

VaVa

Why on earth would you not use av software? You say you never get viruses but you wouldn't know if you did because you've got no av software to tell you when you do. Stop being such a tard

I do periodic online scans. Just don't have AV software running at all. Like I said.. it slows your computer down, you get false positives.... I just don't bother. And if your firewall is tight, if there is anything sitting on your PC it won't be able to get through to relay any info.

If a virus/worm is sophisticated enough to get through my firewall/router then the chances are your AV software won't pick it up either.

Clio 182

I do periodic online scans. Just don't have AV software running at all. Like I said.. it slows your computer down, you get false positives.... I just don't bother. And if your firewall is tight, if there is anything sitting on your PC it won't be able to get through to relay any info.

If a virus/worm is sophisticated enough to get through my firewall/router then the chances are your AV software won't pick it up either.

I can see what you are saying but for someone to say AV software is not needed but then to say they are willing to perform a online scan sending files and file headers over the internet obviously needs to understand a little more about what they are doing. An online scanner should not be considered as a replacement for a AV scanner.

Fiesta ST

Chances are your firewall is blocking inbound traffic only, so if you do get a virus/trojan that sneaks in through a file/email/website you'll never know it's there and sending outbound information. Modern virus's are silent and hidden not like the old school stuff or malware.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I use a great anti virus product that doesn't add any overhead to your operating system and actually makes your system really stable and even makes it super quick and really responsive ! and its FREE !!

It called Linux. :D

VaVa

Chances are your firewall is blocking inbound traffic only, so if you do get a virus/trojan that sneaks in through a file/email/website you'll never know it's there and sending outbound information. Modern virus's are silent and hidden not like the old school stuff or malware.

Inbound and outbound. And like I said. If it's sophisticated enough to get round that, then the chances are no AV software will pick it up. Are you aware of the percentage of threats that AV software detects? Approx 30%.

"Studies in December 2007 have shown that the effectiveness of antivirus software has decreased in recent years, particularly against unknown or zero day attacks. The German computer magazine c't found that detection rates for these threats had dropped from 40-50% in 2006 to 20-30% in 2007. At that time, the only exception was the NOD32 antivirus, which managed a detection rate of 68 percent"

The files/emails/sites are all trusted. I make sure there's a very slim chance of getting anything in the first place. Way more effective than any AV software imho.

You geeks get really up tight over this sort of stuff don't you? ;)

I didn't mean online scans. I actually download NOD32, scan, then delete it. I didn't want to put that for fear of incriminating myself lol. I also use sandbox if I'm slightly dubious of anything.

Oh and BTW - Just scanned, overnight. Can't even remember the last time I did one. 0 threats. I've been doing this for 10 years, 4 years on this PC. Born lucky I guess.

Last edited:
  Ph1

Youve made a very good point there Laingo:

''I make sure there's a very slim chance of getting anything in the first place''

Many people dont have such knowledge of computers to protect themselfs, what to do, look for etc etc so this is where AV comes in handy if your not clued up.

For the average person with average pc knowledge, basically 70% of the world lol having AV is going to be better than not having any at all...

VaVa

I use a great anti virus product that doesn't add any overhead to your operating system and actually makes your system really stable and even makes it super quick and really responsive ! and its FREE !!

It called Linux. :D

:D I had two thoughts on this thread. One was that Tom would be along and say "Get a Mac" and two that you'd pop up and say Linux.

KDF = Linux Evangelist tbh :D

VaVa

Also does your online scan intercept HIPS when they execute?

I have no idea what that is. I'm a bit out of my depth technically tbh, but I still think my theory is sound.

I know it's a bit of a gamble. Just one I'm willing to take. When I get round to buying a new PC, I might go for NOD32 running permanently. As it stands, the scan I performed more or less stopped me doing anything lol.

More RAM required tbh. :(

Fiesta ST

If your theory is sound why download a AV product, install it, run it then remove it?

Just install a good AV product that you can easily disable when you need full throttle from your PC?

I look after 20+ Business Networks all with secuirty applicances scanning traffic for threats and Sophos on each client and you should see the s**t I catch daily! even the most careful of users I get alerts.

It's like riding bareback and nobbing 20 girls you know very well - just because they say they haven't got a STD doesn't mean you might not get one.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

Lol Laingo you're browsing must be very boring! ;)

Also yeah, Sophos picks up some really unhealthy sh*t daily on our network too!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

I went a year or so with no av on my machines, nothing wrong with it tbh if you have other mechanisms in place and are careful.

It's on their now though due to actually using the machines in other places than at home, whilst I trust my network I don't trust other people's :)

We run Mcafee at work for the most part with NOD32 (corp version) on a handful of machines. Never throws anything up though, the amount of filtering that goes on before something even hits our network is a joke.

For freebies I like NOD32 or Avira, used to use avg free but agree with griff that it's going a bit s**t.

clio 182 black /gold
Anti Virus & Internet Security.

What is the differnce between these? They both seem to do the same job.

172 Cup
Re: Anti Virus & Internet Security.

Anti Virus = Anti Virus
Internet Security = Usually AV, Firewall, Anti-malware etc all rolled into one package.

clio 182 black /gold
Re: Anti Virus & Internet Security.

Ah thanks Griff. So the Security is better for the money then? :D.