ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best and cheapest way to get a genuine copy of windows 7

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'll bring one to you, with 2 prozzies, a keg of beer and a few lines of coke for £10k?

Megane 225 F1
I can get it for £5. BOOM. But that's because I'm covered under the Microsoft license at work.

DCi
my boss has a technet subscription and gave me a free copy that works with a legit serial, could convert to iso and ftp to you?

dk

911 GTS Cab
you dont have a computer you can leave switched on that i can upload 4gb to by any chance ha

Use megaupload? Oh.......

Lol, Tom, you ask for a legit copy and then you accept an illegal copy from Iain who's already using it illegally himself lol.

Technet subscription does not mean you are free to hand out copies to your mates just because the license key works ;)

You could check with work though, as someone has already said, some licensing schemes allow wah (work at home) rights for a dirt cheap price, think you only effectively pay for the media, I did it once with office, had to go to a page on the ms website and pay for the media and they sent it with a key. Not entirely sure this is still available though, I will check with work though as I need a licensed copy myself for my fusion vm, using a beta windows 8 at the moment.

If not, the only way to legitimately obtain a copy is to buy a full retail version.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
its ony £70 on ebuyer...

Also software4students do check; you need a student email before you get the keys... dont do this!

the cheapest way is to go the the tip, fin the computer section, find one with a win7 key stuck on the back and then ask them if they will take £5 for it as you need the case only.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I don't want to spend £70 on something I use once or twice a yearla

What does Windows 7 achieve that your current pc/mac program doesn't?
Would XP or Vista do? Cheap as chips now.

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Also how long do you want it for? Windows Embedded is the modular version of Windows 7 and comes with a 90 day licence. So do a lot of the server editions...

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ah bugger. Might try the 8 beta for now.

i'm not getting on with it very well, hence looking to get windows 7, 8 just doesn't seem to work on a normal pc, deals like its built for mainly touchscreen tablets etc.

Maybe i just don't know how to use it, but i'm no idiot but find getting to the simplest of things a ball ache.

Oh and buying a pc case from the tip is also illegal, you are breaking the EULA, an OEM license can only be used on the hardware it came with, you are not licensed to install it on another computer, so you might as well just find an illegal key, its no less illegal than obtaining an OEM key off a pc shell. And the same goes for buying an upgrade, its pointless as unless you have the original licensed copy you are upgrading from then the upgrade isn't worth the digital ink its written on, again, you might as well obtain a pirate copy.

If you want to do it legitimately then there is only one or two ways, piggybacking your works license with WAH rights if you have them (but even still, if you were to leave the company you would need to uninstall the software!), or buying a full retail product from an authorised retailer. Well, or using a beta version, or maybe buying yourself a tech net subscription, but this would probably cost more anyway.

Buying the OS outright is expensive IMO, yes they spume every pc comes with an OS, but everyone who wants to dual boot the mac or use fusion is either forced to pay a high price for the second OS, and thats on top of already having to shell out for fusion or parallels, or obtain it illegally. If they priced it at a more reasonable price, like £30-40 for instance then i'm sure less people would obtain it illegally.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Not all computers in the skip use OEM... Thats an assumption.

Yes they do, if they have a sticker on them, it's oem, when you buy a license or a retail license I don't believe it comes with a sticker, that's only for oem. Solely because the sticker/license belongs to the hardware, hence why they use a sticker rather than a paper or electronic license.

And every pc comes with an oem copy of windows, unless it's not a windows box, or if someone has built it themselves, then it's unlikely to have a legitimate copy of windows anyway (yes I'm now assuming, but I don't think the full retail copy is a big seller...), but they won't be putting a sticker on it, unless it's an oem.....

And if it doesn't have the oem sticker on it, then what's the point of going to the skip as the paper or electronic license won't be attached to the box ;)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Quite right you are, but i have seen a lot of people stick the orange sticker that comes with retail on the case as well for "safe keeping"