ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bent 172 turbo conrod

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Amazed to find this, car still drove mint, still went like stink and even still idled properly, but look how bent one of the rods was when me and Danpl6 pulled it apart today!

6B780691-B798-493C-87A5-A6D8FB44B528-1445-0000010799E8E0E3.jpg

D9821C31-B6B3-4907-A5F2-44451FBAE3F8-1445-00000107A03B331D.jpg

0C2E3FAE-5D38-429F-93A2-C0BB650CC7B9-1445-0000010342AB05C4.jpg

0AA50E66-DE67-484C-9686-2B3E32B696E2-1445-0000010329B32091.jpg

Its actually bent in TWO directions, front to back and side to side.

Lucky it didnt snap really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oops. What torque were you running chip?

Dont know mate, I mapped it on the road where you dont get figures like on the rolling road.
Last time it was on the rollers it was only 250 but that was with well under a bar where as by the end when I knew I replacing it anyway and so was just having a laugh seeing what I could get it to take it hitting 2 bar on the overboost though, so probably some fairly big numbers, lol

225 Cup & Williams
Dont know mate, I mapped it on the road where you dont get figures like on the rolling road.
Last time it was on the rollers it was only 250 but that was with well under a car where as by the end when I knew I replacing it anyway and so was just having a laugh seeing what I could get it to take it hitting 2 bar on the overboost though, so probably some fairly big numbers, lol

Lol brilliant. Just as well you are forging it now then eh!

225 Cup & Williams
Yeah, definately required rods rise, although the pistons are still fine, shows how much you can get away with on the standard pistons if its mapped right!

Yeah deffo hence why I only opted to change the rods in my meg in the end as the standard pistons are rated to 300+ according to Paul at rs tuning.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes it's a standard rod. Another one bent too but not as much.

F4rt are slightly more manly, but only by a small amount.

Have got steel rods and forged pistons for the new engine I'm building.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surprised it wasn't thrown off balance!

good effort

Nothing you could discern while driving it. No weight difference of course so balance in that respect wouldn't be effected much anyway.

It really was still driving very well. Last time I drove it I took loads of people out in it and they were all impressed by it.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol! That looks funny!

that's the reason why i used 16v rods in my budget build. They are a lot beefier!
Good moment to pull it apart though!

Scoff had 450bhp out of his f4r before the first rod snapped.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hahaha! I'd love to know the power graph of that thing when you were running the high boost!

Epic Clio refused to die!

Yeah it's a shame I didn't ever put it on the rollers to get some high boost figures I suppose but as you know I'm pretty busy and just never got round to it tbh.
Wont make anymore power on the new internals so I guess if I roller it once its back together we will have a very good idea what power finished the rods off.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It was when I wound it to TDC and said, "Errr, mate you've bent a rod." "You sure?!" "Certain. Look." "Oh yeah."

When you said it was bent I was just about to grab some feeler gauges to check but as I glanced over it was certainly pretty obvious you were right. Lol.

Trophy Turbo :)
Wow! Im a big believer that people who say that the Megane 225 Ring lands are weak have had bad mapps, keep the car cool with a little extra fuel and all seems ok, just like the 2.5 Subaru Motors.

Chip inpressed son :) Oh look there is the biggest regret ive made EVER in the back ground of the first pix :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed on the pistons, keeping fragile pistons in one piece is just a question of correct mapping a lot of the time.

Lol @ regret, sadly won't ever be selling the LY mk1 back to you to undo that, we just love it far too much!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip the F4RT Rods have the Same part number to the 172 /182 Rods last time i looked :/

Yes but going by the pictures laine posted that is just cause they have been superseded to the same replacement part and the originals were different.

Trophy Turbo :)
Ah ok big Lad.

If i purchased that back the wife would take me to court for every thing :) I spend a fortune on that thing!!!! :) I still want to a have a go when we meet mind for old time sakes :) I also regret scrapped the red one too, I hate the look of the phase 2 172 LOL Valver FTW

HBT 172 Cup
Goof effort chip, that must have been pushing a rather large chunk of torque with 2 bar overboost lol! Nice to see limits being pushed!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Goof effort chip, that must have been pushing a rather large chunk of torque with 2 bar overboost lol! Nice to see limits being pushed!!

Yeah it was surprising how well it pulled at 4K or so in 5th gear with that sort of monster torque, but TBH it was far less driveable on track like that, so not where I want to be with the car, as a lot of what it gets used for is trackday use anyway.

A road overtaking in 4th gear though, pulling from 70-120 etc, it really was epic.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Lol! That looks funny!

that's the reason why i used 16v rods in my budget build. They are a lot beefier!
Good moment to pull it apart though!

Scoff had 450bhp out of his f4r before the first rod snapped.

That was with a 1.8 crank though so not really comparable. That motor was about RPM. I broke one in half and the other 3 came out looking like the picture.