ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Benefits of a decat

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi, I'm new to the clio scene and was just wondering what the benefits of a decat are? And is it legal to do for a road car?

monaco 172
Makes it a lot louder, gains maybe 2-3bhp, will fail an mot on the emissions test.

Just put my cat back on as the noise was unbearable

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Am I right in thinking that a 172 cat is 200 cell, where as a 182 cat is 100 cell, meaning you could still pass emissions and potentially have a better flowing exhaust on a 172 by welding or sleeving a 182 cat onto a 172 pipe?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't say I notice much of a difference apart from more rasp with 1.

On a 172, unless you can get a mot I wouldn't bother. A 182 manifold is so easy to change then it's not an issue. It is illegal but when was the last time you saw folk getting stopped for an emissions test?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
On a 2.5 system it will boom.

On my 2.25 system it’s raspy when needed. Quiet ish the rest of the time, with unsilenced centre too.

Mines only been decatted for a month and it made very little difference to the sound or performance but did make the car feel more responsive. Would I bother again? No.

It is required for an MOT though as it will fail on the emissions test.

so you can hook an rs tuner pops and bangz and BRAAAAPapp opopopo pop blrapropo poppa boar braaaa opopop p opoopo po po pop pop

Other than that above summed it up

Am I right in thinking that a 172 cat is 200 cell, where as a 182 cat is 100 cell, meaning you could still pass emissions and potentially have a better flowing exhaust on a 172 by welding or sleeving a 182 cat onto a 172 pipe?
182 is 200 cell (left) 172 400 cell (right),This is what all normal cars come from the factory with.

182 is 200 cell (left) 172 400 cell (right),This is what all normal cars come from the factory with.

When I took mine off my 172 it looked 200 cell to me (i.e the internals looked like on the left). It was the original Renault cat pipe