ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Belts again????!!!!!!!

R.I.P 182
fella??

Also i definately have NEVER put car in the wrong gear! Partner been driving 20 years so i doubt he did either!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep, that's why it's weird. I'll be on it from 7am in the morning so will know more then :)

R.I.P 182
Aww I'm very greatful! Dan - i shall do. Ill have to PM a few of you.. will get rid of this regardless, working or not! Time for a TT! X

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Finished the strip down around 9 this morning.

I checked the timing was fine before I removed anything else. When I got the head off I noticed the pistons were caked in burnt oil, there were early signs of blowing on the head gasket across all four gaskets, slight scores in all the cylinders and the valves seemed ok.

I did a quick leak test, I poured petrol into the cylinders, it didn't stay in there long before disappearing into the sump. I also did the same with valves, which seamed to seat quite nicely considering the mega carbon build up and held the petrol quite well.

Before it was stripped it was noted that the header tank was almost completey empty of water and the oil level was almost at the minimum.

A few pics ( sorry for the proper s**tness of them)

IMAG0063.jpg

The broken engine mount ( f**k knows how this happened as it wasn't too bad before)

IMAG0062.jpg

You can't see it to well but that's wet oil on the business end of that plug.

IMAG0066.jpg

Belt and tensioners all ok.

IMAG0067.jpg

Valves holding quite well.

IMAG0068.jpg

Not the best picture, but the pistons were properly covered in burnt oil.

:(

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
No doubt a high miler that has been been run low on oil/got extremely hot at some point. I don't think the history was known of this engine :(

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Not a clue, she said she hasn't driven it hard/ slapped it in the wrong gear and she doesn't have any reason to lie so ill put it down to old s**tty mount. That's the least of the worries tbh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well, yeah. In the grand scheme of things its a very easy problem to sort! lol.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How the fcuk do you snap an engine mount?!!

seen loads like that, mine was like that when I bought it.

This is why I hate fitting secondhand engines, it's so unknown especially as they get older. I'd rather rebuild than replace as you at least know what the engine contains

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Her old engine would have needed a fair bit to rebuild, the valves had properly smashed the head and pistons to pieces.

Evo 8 MR
If it was burning oil so bad it would've had a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust wouldn't it?

How do you explain the loss of coolant?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Not always, infact most of the time no. I didn't see it running, but even if it was it wouldn't be billowing out the back so probably wouldn't be noticed.

The water was a hard one to find out, at the back right of the engine on the HG it appeared that between a water vain and piston there was a slight blow. I still wouldnt have said that was the reason for emptying most of coolant. Checking around the engine there was no leaks or crystals.

R.I.P 182
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :( :(

Shoulda just paid out for rebuild..

I dont race.. I drive 10 mile round trip to work, or about 15 mile round trip taking the boy to school, i have no reason to race/rag my car!

Never put in the wrong gear either... :(

Cars going up for sale damaged now. f**k this !!!

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Like Dan said earlier, it's always a chance you take with a 2nd hand engine as you never really know what you are buying.

Sometimes cutting your losses is a good idea but these cars aren't worth much intact but not working so I'd urge you to see it thru and drop a working lump in (again) or break it.

Gutted for you though

Mick

R.I.P 182
No chance am i doing again! :(

Saw on ebay a few 182s non working engines that have sold.

Not sure if anythings salveageable re: the engine, as the CAT, Lambda etc was all NEW in November, and the belts, pulleys etc were all new 8 weeks ago..

Have asked Ant, but will get rid of the shell, interior and whatevers not fucked.

Ideally want it to go in one as i dont want it lying in my road half of it missing, plus declared it SORN yesterday as tax was due..

Lovely.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I would personally put a new engine in, and punt it straight away. Someone will make a fair bit of cash doing it themselves.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Belt went on my ph1, sold in 30 mins as non runner, did have some nice bit though, sorry to hear about ur bad luck, cars can suck some times

inferno 182.
god!!! dejavieiw! belt was to tight on mine when i bought it and that was done at renault dealer by the service history! buggered the dephaser and put the timing out! i got away with new rings and top end rebuild and picked it up today! i thought about second hand engine but no thanks! you dont know what your getting!
rebuild only! this is only my opinion as i never even thought about breaking or selling mine!
question for fred though? i had oil on my pistons and plugs how would this get there if the belt is to tight?timing out out mixture wrong?

sorry donna for loss!

Lionel Richie
only way oil can get in there is valve stems, rings, cracked block or head, you do get some oil back through the breather if its overfull or cornering HARD

R.I.P 182
I'm a tw@t and thought about the money was cheaper to get a 2nd hand engine than to rebuild..

Selling it as it is now, i have no more time money or effort i want to waste on it :(

inferno 182.
cheers fred my engine exactly!sorted with a rebuild!whats caused this? donnas?
only way oil can get in there is valve stems, rings, cracked block or head, you do get some oil back through the breather if its overfull or cornering HARD

Lionel Richie
hence why you can't skim the heads (well you can a tiny bit, but renault say no for the reason you stated)

Lionel Richie
from my experience, the tensioner should never pass 12 o'clock, if it does we reject the kit and fit another (causes a random tap at idle)