ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Belts again????!!!!!!!

R.I.P 182
New belts etc 8 weeks ago & second hand engine after my belt going on m25...

Car died again 3 days ago.

Belt or tensioner gone again.

Brand new belts

Wtf????

Spent enough on it & now looking like I have another fucked engine...!!!!!!!

Any leg to stand on having genuine Renault parts & failing??

Getting it on a ramp next week to look but There's no compression, there's oil on the spark plugs etc.

I want rid of this piece of s**t!!! £1 starting bid!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
No way! I remember your last cambelt fail thread!! Who did the belts??

R.I.P 182
I'm sooooooo angry!!!!!!!!!

I have a s**t paid job I'm walking 4.5 miles each way to cause I have no car n no f**king money I'm absolutely fuming..!!!

Lambda & cat brand new in November were done s**t so hoping it was that but looks unlikely!!!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
There should be a warranty if it was done professionally. Unless it's something in the engine that's gone and not the belt, you need to speak to whoever did the work.

Renault warranty may stand up, but they have to take the car and check the parts were installed correctly. This usually only works for trade customers too I believe, ie professioanlly fitted parts.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I fitted these, correct tools and fitting procedure with all brand new Renault parts.

Including seals, tensioners and new pulley bolts.

As she knows when had it back the eml light on , she was asked twice to bring it back but nothing. When I originally checked it on the diag machine there was a problem with the o2 sensor but I still wanted to check further.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm not pointing the blame stick because sometimes s**t happens but you really need it back to see exactly what has gone wrong. Renault will offer warranty on parts if they've failed but they will want it to their workshop to confirm/deny but if I'm honest, I seriously doubt parts will be the cause of the failure. I write a mini build log on every engine that I work on so I know exactly what was done and what each bolt was tightened to. I'd go back and try to remember everything that was done:

Were the sprockets fully degreased before reassembly?

Were the mating faces of the sprockets, inner and outer, all flat with no signs of damage caused by slipping/spinning?

New fixings used and angle torqued to spec?

I had one that came in for a belt failure. Replaced the valves and belts as normal then after 50secs of running it bent the inlet valves. Pulled it down and I'd missed the cam carrier journals were fooked. I raided the BTM spares pile for a new matched set and off it went again fine.

Mick

Last edited:
  R.I.P 182
Tried calling u twice yesterday Ant to ask about the parts so I can take to Renault.

Someone my OH knows had a look at the car and said the cat was blowing & as you also said the welding was done really poorly. He managed to sort that out and it was fine, now fucked again.

Not at one point did I blame you. I wanna know where I stand with the fact I KNOW u bought & used new Renault parts as there's no way that should go again so soon..

Also tried PMing u but ur inbox is full.

R.I.P 182
End of my road!

When it came off the flat bed the recovery guy said water came out the exhaust that looked old. Mate of mine is a ford mechanic came yesterday and that was his assumption from taking apart what he could without getting the engine out. Oil on the plugs etc too. Honestly if this is gone again I'll get rid of it as it is :(

So gutted..

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I don't care, I want to know what the hell went wrong. I'm adament nothing I did was wrong, so if it's the parts I will go mad.

I'll just pick it up with the trailer.

R.I.P 182
U reckon they'd sort it out if it was parts? I looked on their website & says about parts warranty? When u about? I'm working shift work so hours vary ill b about. Call me If u can & can arrange.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'm not sure as I haven't had to deal with it before. We shall see once I know more. Pm me your number as I've got a new phone and I'll phone you this evening as I'm I'm a meeting atm.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I broke my old phone so I and was near the end of my contract so I have new number. I'll phone you around 5 if that's ok?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Just stripped it, there is slight compression there, the belt and tensioners are intact and fine but the engine mount has sheared, the plugs are dripping with oil and its lost a lot of water, hopefully I can sort it Saturday :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just for your future reference, I had a clutch kit fitted (by a mate, on his driveway) that I bought brand new from renault.

About 4 months later the customer brought it back to me as there was a load of clutch slip right at the top of 4th/5th gear so I rang renault (my local dealership) and they asked me to bring the car down. They supplied and fitted a new clutch under warranty, didn't cost me a penny.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Cheers Dan, I had already spoke to Renault in case it was the belts/tensioner and they were actually quite rude and uncaring. then again Romford Renault aren't exatly known for their good service!

330i. E30 Touring.
What went wrong then Ant?

Top man for going out to collect it to inspect etc.

Let's hope it's something relatively simple!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I was tired so just checked the belt etc and made sure all was fine with my work.

I didn't want a bad name to my work plus I didn't want Donna stuck with it as she's had right s**t luck with it so far.

Tomorrow I'll be stripping the head off, fingers crossed its something simple. I bet it isn't though. The fact it's lost a lot of water, has oil on the plugs and the engine mount has snapped clean off I would of said it was chucked into the wrong gear. Donna was driving normally when it cut out so we shall we when the head come off.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Possible yep but it wouldn't explain the amount of water lost or all the oil in the cylinders. Hopefully more light will be shed tomorrow.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Did you check the cylinders prior to belt change, or remove the plugs? Surely it could be the rocker cover not sealed correctly which would allow the oil in the spark plugs?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep all was clean before the belt change dude. It may be the rocker cover but it appears not to be leaking, I know I sealed it correctly too. There is also no oil in the spark plug cylinders just on the business end.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
There's no water in the coolant tank to check dude, it's thrown it out the exhaust. If it wasn't an F4r I would have said HGF failure straight away, I will know once the heads off tomorrow.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
:eek: I find it interesting. Still haven't fixed my own car though. Think the brake servo diaphragm has split though, going to see my resident car nerd in Garstang on Tuesday.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
There's no water in the coolant tank to check dude, it's thrown it out the exhaust. If it wasn't an F4r I would have said HGF failure straight away, I will know once the heads off tomorrow.

headgaskets do go, it's just very rare. If someone's had the head off before it could have been incorrect bolt tightening (seen that a number of times)
Whip the head off and pull the pistons out, I bet they've got hot and cracked the ringlands

Megane r26
Too lad for going to the trouble of sorting it all, I certainly know where ur coming from about making sure it wasn't down to ur work. Fair play dude. Good luck in resolving the problem.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Cheers Dan. (both lol)

Hopefully it isn't too much as Donna is talking of selling as is if it's too much.

R.I.P 182
Ant's bloody awesome coming late last night like 930pm to put it on a trailer aned push it down my road in his work suit lol..

I hope to God its something simple!! Regardless i will be selling it after the works done, or if its majorly fuuuuucked, ill be selling as damaged..

HAD ENOUGH!! She's soooo pretty but i want something else now..!

So any serious offers if its dead/salveageable, then do PM!!

Ant = awesome.