ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Beginning to have some 182 doubts...

My 182 dissapointed me today Im afraid. Its hit 700 miles, so Ive started driving it harder - as I usually do. The engine performance is alright, but the handling is beginning to dissapoint me.

The car initially seemed to be a great performer, but once you start pushing the limits, it all seems to get rather inaccurate. I got the Exaltos to break away at the front today, which I didnt expect. It also seems to be unstable under hard braking.

I expected it to be a step above my previous 306 Rallye, but it seems not. I could place the Rallye where I wanted it on the road, it wouldnt fight, it would do as it was told. The clio is as if it has a variable speed steering rack when its pushed hard. Not good.

Does anyone else think this? My Rallye looked after me much better than the 182 is. Will confirm my findings at midnight on the way home from work.

In the meantime, anyone fance beating the waiting list for a Racing Blue, Cupped 182?!!

Huw

Yup, the only thing that disappointed me with my 172 was the handling, easily sorted with a set of Eibach Pro Springs.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

U are seriously trying to tell us that an overweight 306 Rallye is better than a 182???

320d M Sport

wait till u ave the misfortune of going back to the reno dealers, eg warranty work etc! thats the nightmare.........

that describes the handling perfectly, i could not have described it any better . brake hard and your in a scrap even on the slightest uneven surface. the car tries to go every direction except the one you are pointing it in :confused:. i thought it was just me!

Orange 182

Jeez, I really cant fault the handling on my 182!

Obviously being a 182 owner I am bound to have an element of bias in my opinion. However, I have been fortunate enough to drive many different types of cars and I can honestly say that my 182 has fantastic handling and has taken everything I have thrown at it.

I am in no way suggesting that the 182 is the best car on the roads as there are clearly many cars out there that are better in every respect. However, for 12k for a new car which is what I paid, I cant think of anything else Id rather have. The handling on my 182 is just awesome and begs to be driven harder...

The Jinx

I wasnt impressed with the handling of the 172 when I drove one. Too much banging whenaccelerating out of corners hard, and just not composed enough.

But then I only drove one for 3-4 miles, not 700+ so ignore me.

Boz

Arctic 182

I agree to some extent Huw, Ive come from a 306xsi. Pug really knew how to make great handling cars in the past (I had a 205 1.9 before), but theyve lost the plot now.

My 182 seems to handle sh*t hot (similar miles to yours), but Ive not pushed to the limit yet, and based on experiences to date, the appraoch to the limit is not as clearly defined as it is in the early pugs.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Get it on a track. then decide. Loads of people (me included) have swapped the 172 springs for Eibachs, with very good improvements. Its a cheap modification, and the best one youll ever make.

TDI tyre shreader

My 172 is an excellent handling car, and thats coming form a previous 205 rallye owner, my only gripe handling wise is that the steering isnt very talkative but then again its power assisted. I love it, the new 205 in my book!! How can a car with ABS, EBD, ESP, 4 air bags and all the other safety stuff not look after you? Id rather have a crash in this than in my old car!!

The problem with new cars in comparision to the handling of old cars is that they weigh to much so need more power to move them around and better chassie design for increased road holding and putting the power down. Take a 1.9 gti and 172, you can have much more fun in 1.9gti at lower speeds than you can in a 172 this is where the avaerage driver crashes in a 172 but in a 205 speeds are lower so control can, to a degree, be regained. Im finding this all the time where the point where i get the same rush from driving my 172 to my old pug is in the three figures near enough double the speed, which i have reservations about doing on the open road because my license is too important to me so i rarely reach the rush point so driving my 172 doesnt seem as exciting.

Thanks to those whove put in sensible replies! Im glad its not just me. Ive heard coilovers mentioned many a time on this forum, however, I dont think I could start chopping and changing a brand new car! If I was keeping it for the long run, then Id consider it, but I get bored after 12 months usually!

In many ways its much easier to live with than the Rallye, but the handling is really No1 priority when you live where I do! The Rallye was able to keep up with a Westfield and a 172 Cup around Oulton (obviously, I can appreciate that Nigel Mansell may not have been driving them), so have I taken a step forward - handling wise?

What about the ESP? Would that upset things? Could that be causing the braking inbalances? Ill switch it off tonight and wring its neck, didnt think of doing that before!

Huw

is it not just the 182 doesnt cossett you as much, i thought much the same as you till i actually went out for a good drive to tame the beast (well beast might be a bit strong). i dont know if this is me just trying to make up for its inadiquacies but i think it comes down to feedback. the 182 gives more feedback than nearly all the cars ive driven/owned.

i agree on the point that with cup susp, an uneven road can make the car very twitchy under hard braking/cornering/accelerating.

it also might just be you were so used to the 306 that youd learnt to drive it properly.

or it could be that the 306 was better.

I agree with Huw - my 182s handling is sh*te. I get the same uneasy feeling over the slightest little bump. Feels totally unbalanced when going into corners. Back end feels nervous even at slow speeds. Braking is all over the place.

I am most unimpressed with the 182s cup suspension. Im beginning to wonder if I should have stuck to the standard suspension. Wouldnt surprise me if theyve cocked up with the camber settings...

My Clio 1.4S handled much much better and that was crap!

As for the variable speed steering - I get the same odd feeling. Its as if the power steering is over-active.

Everyone morning I take a long sweeping left hander in a 70 zone on the way to work. Every morning I cr*p my pants when Im mid way round it - it feels like its going to understeer, then oversteer, then understeer.

Whats more worrying is that you can have someone in a fiesta, 206 etc catching you up on bends cos the car just doesnt feel like its going to make it. Im sure its a combination of the power steering and the stiffer suspension setup, camber changes, ripples in the tarmac etc.

Strange thing is, slower bends, 30,40,50 seem to be really well planted...

Balders.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I only have the standard suspension and so far its faultless,i love it and 90% of my driving is non motorway,mostly country roads and i have driven it to what i think is quite hard.

Im not a racing driver and this is not aimed at anybody in particular but some stories i read on here you would swear were written by rally drivers.Im not the best driver in the world but by far not the worst and ive given my car a bit of stick and find it to handles very very well.

Surely the cup suspension is not that a massive difference over standard.Im guessing that the only time it comes into play is when driven to the extremes either on a track or by a very skilled driver.If im driving mine to the point where cup suspension would make a difference then im probably out of my depth.

I love mine and love the way it handles.

182, GTR, C63

ok i havent driven the 182 but evo who know wot they are talking about rate it best hot hatch ever!! now after them driving much more extoic toys like lambos and porshes and then they make it best in its class (with cup susp) ok you may all live with the 182 and drive it on public roads but at the end of the day there the guys who know exactly wot there talking about. Oh and my cup has a similar nervous feel but spose its wot you get used to.

EP3 Civic Type R

LOL, the torsion bars on most peugeots and citroens really does make the handling awesome even in standard form

Ive got a 106gti on a lowered torsion bar... and full bilstien setup with custom springs, and the handling is faultless, you can literally throw the car into most situations... its very uncomfortable though on hard bumps roads around Newcastle, but it really does handle well. Cant think of much really that can match it in standard form.

TDI tyre shreader

Shame the engineering of it is so w**k, have you seen the bearings that are in a pug rear beam? Mechano springs to mind!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Anyway.

i find my 182 pretty dam impressive. you have got to play with it abit to find how it likes to be set up into a corner.

Turn the esp off its quite intrusive.

I found the 172 handling wasnt a patch on the Williams when I drove it. Know a few people that think the same but I usually get flamed for saying such things on here;) It felt more motorway cruser than hardcore hatch and I was expecting a lot more from it.

The 182 is supposed to be a lot better but then the only reviews I have seen had the Cup pack on them. If you are lacking the Cup pack that maybe is the problem.

You have to remeber that the 306 Rallye was a superb handling hatch and handling is the one thing that "newer" doesnt = better. Just look are Peuguots current range for proof of that.

Im sure I saw a non-cup pack 182 owner complaining about the handling recently on here. The people with the Cup options seem delighted with their 182s.

[Edited by 007 on 21 May 2004 at 12:03am]

TDI tyre shreader

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 20 May 2004

Not sure what your getting at... mines 7 years old and is mechanically and structualy fine
Maybe they changed the design for the 106 but for the 205 the design was shocking, the seals let water in that destroyed the bearings and then the radius pin makes the back wheels look like they have loads of neg camber to the point where the wheels can rub on the inner arches. Problem on all 205s but they are older so maybe you have this fun to come!!

Actually, now I come to think about it... it does actually feel like there is a bit of braking or something. Cant say Ive noticed the ESP light flickering on the dash though (does it light up when its doing its thing?)

I shall try the same bend tomorrow with it switched off - no doubt ill end up in the hedge instead! :D

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

the esp tends to apply the rear brakes for some bizzare reason.

try some "safe" bends before you push it with the esp off.

ESP to go round corners:eek: - your braver than me!

ESP = Extra Sensory Perception?

I use my eyes but you can call me old fashioned;)

Cant beat a bit of mind control... :D

Poxy bloody driver aids. Id forgotten the car even had the damn thing... Anyway to keep it turned off permanently???

EP3 Civic Type R

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 21 May 2004
Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 20 May 2004Not sure what your getting at... mines 7 years old and is mechanically and structualy fine[/QUOTE]Maybe they changed the design for the 106 but for the 205 the design was shocking, the seals let water in that destroyed the bearings and then the radius pin makes the back wheels look like they have loads of neg camber to the point where the wheels can rub on the inner arches. Problem on all 205s but they are older so maybe you have this fun to come!!

The 205 rear beam is different to the 106... one of the things they revised... yet a 1.9 205GTi is still chronic on corners

TDI tyre shreader

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 21 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 21 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 20 May 2004

Not sure what your getting at... mines 7 years old and is mechanically and structualy fine
Maybe they changed the design for the 106 but for the 205 the design was shocking, the seals let water in that destroyed the bearings and then the radius pin makes the back wheels look like they have loads of neg camber to the point where the wheels can rub on the inner arches. Problem on all 205s but they are older so maybe you have this fun to come!!

The 205 rear beam is different to the 106... one of the things they revised... yet a 1.9 205GTi is still chronic on corners
I know they are different, what im saying is that if the seals are still crap then 106s will have the same problem, 1.9 gtis are the nuts on corners its only muppets who lift off half way through that lose the back end the car can be steered on the throttle i love it!!! or used to :(

VaVa

182 - crap handling??!!:eek:

My 172 has all the same attributes as described above. Squirms under hard braking, follows potholes and imperfections in the road, feels loose at high speeds, chassis feels a bit on the nervous side.....took some getting used to.... but now I find thats half the fun.... you have to really concentrate to drive it fast and smoothe..... theres plenty of feedback to enable you to react to changes in the cars behaviour (imho anyway).... Patience young Padawan, in time you will learn to make use of the force....

i couldnt agree more with largerlout1.

my 172 isnt the most "stuck" car when going through a corner, however it seems to feed back what it is doing to me soooo well. Im sure we all do it sometimes but on track or on a quiet country road Ill actually break just before the corner, or blip the accelerator before the apex of the corner, just so that I ensure that i am at the limit of grip/speed - and i must say i always get lots of feedback from the car. Its as if you really have to concentrate hard as opposed to it being less involving.

one other thing - i must say that long sweeping corners at high speed in the 172 arent that comfortable at all. I fel as if there is a hell of a lot of body roll on the car (even though it may be planted), but i find it incredibly unnerving. Ive been told and read many a time that the 172 does have a lot of body roll, but will stay deceptively planted despite this. It just feels a littl unnerving sometimes.