ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Beats By Dre Monster Studio Headphones.

MINI FJCW
Looking for some advice as I'm after the Studio headphones that retail at £279.99.

Does anyone own these or has had a good listen with them? Are they really as good as people say they are?

I tried them once, I couldn't believe how good they were. Absolutely brilliant.

Short of Britney screaming my name at the top of her voice, my ears will never get a better experience.

They can be had for a fair bit cheaper on eBay too.

n/a
I have a few friends who have these and went in to Currys and tried them out myself and i think there great noise cancelation is top worth a buy imo

Not a 320d
Check head-fi.org out, search, and ask the same questions there.

If i was going to spend that much on headphones i wouldnt be buying beats, but only because im a brand ***** - not that theres anything wrong with monstor audio. What kit do you have available to drive them, or are they 32 ohm lol.....

e/

Would sooner have these....for bass and isolation, im guessing thats what you want if your looking at those Beat things.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt770pro.htm (250ohm)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt770_pro80_ohm.htm (80ohm)

Last edited:

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I bought the beats by dre solo HDs but they hurt my ears after about an hour of listening so went to apple yesterday and paid the extra 100 and swapped them for the studios and they are amazing, bought a 3M aux to aux cable so I can use them on my tv aswell! Brilliant headphones!! The bass is far more noticible on the solo HDs but the overall clarity and lows, mids and highs are so much better on the studios.......I hate to say it but they are 100% worth the 284.99 I paid!

Facelift R53 Cooper S
My brother has the studio's and they are amazing.

In fact they're so good that i don't like them! You can't hear any outside noises when you have them on, it's horrible.

If you wore a pair whilst walking down the street you'd probably get run over as you wouldnt hear the car coming! Lol.

They are well worth the money in my opinion as they are good, despite the fact I dont like them.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I've been checking all the headphones out lately for gaming, music and movies. The beats seem to have good stereo sound but at a very high price. Check the AVforum out but don't take everything they say as gosbal. Check out astro a30's. Alot cheaper and get really good reviews. I'm going for tritton which have surround sound mainly for gaming plus movies.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
COD + beats studios = amazing

Watched the dark knight with them on and its was 10x better than anything I have heard surround sound wise

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Do you get an amp with the beats? Plus they have no mic. I'll stick with tritons as the seem aimed more for gaming with leads etc.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Another vote for Grado here, I swear by them. I've gone through many pairs of headphones, but my Grados have kept going for years and years with abuse every night!

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
I can recommend the Sennheiser pxc 450...Lovely sound quality, the NC isnt as good as some of the Bose but overall a wonderful pair

This the same as the beats pros? Tried the pros at dixons travel for 310 and they were incredible. Only thing is that the leak an awful lot, even on low levels.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
the pro's arent powered isolation headphones and dont require batteries.

2.2 bar shed.
Whats the better headphone for recording, the studio or the pro?

Niether, they're both s**t. You'll end up mixing down songs all ass about face unless you EQ the f**k out of them, then that defeats the whole point in using decent headphones for mixdowns.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
they arent s**t at all, i have been using my studios for like 2 weeks solid and i also have a pair of shure se315 in ear headphones and i used them for the day and they just highlight how good the beats actually are.

2.2 bar shed.
they arent s**t at all, i have been using my studios for like 2 weeks solid and i also have a pair of shure se315 in ear headphones and i used them for the day and they just highlight how good the beats actually are.

In ear headphones are s**t as well, you just end up with fatigue and damaged hearing. For the money you can get MUCH MUCH better.

I've been looking for a decent pair of headphones, and earphones for ages. Any suggestions?

The only ones I've been very impressed with are the Bose noise isolating ones, but they are £289!

2.2 bar shed.
AKG 702's are a similar price to the Bose's. Grado SR60's are fantastic and much cheaper. Look like a bit of a dick listening to stuff on them outside of your own home however.

57 Clio Campus Sport
GRADO. I got given the SR80i for Christmas '09, think they are about £100 and the 125i are about £150, people say there is a noticeable jump.

Like SamP said, they look awesome but look a bit funny on.

They easily compete with headphones that are twice the price.

Awesome for anything with guitars but can struggle on bass if not plugged into something decent.

Last edited:
  Honda. Tesla Someday
friend of mine has just returned his £200 pair of 'beats studios' to Apple because they kept failing. he was on his 6th pair!!! He gave in in the end and returned.

Are beats known for bad build quality?

Not a 320d
AKG 702's are a similar price to the Bose's. Grado SR60's are fantastic and much cheaper. Look like a bit of a dick listening to stuff on them outside of your own home however.

Why not get the 701's (Which I have) for far far less. Unless you want to change the audio cable?Because thats the difference......

I assume youre aware you need an Amp to drive Akg701/2's ? (Or any high impedance headphone).

Beats are a farce. All of them.

Lol at IEM's being s**t. I dont listen to mine for 90 mins at any time so im good. I agree with the fatigue part, after a long time though. Great isolation, great bass (Dependant on earphones) if you want it. I love them. Got a pair of Beyerdynamiq DTX80's/ Should have gone for the DTX100's TBH.

Justin, whats your budget and whats your taste in music. Are you a bass head (look for closed cans, Beyer DT770), or do you prefer rock (Open cans, like the AKG K701).

Headphones have their own signatures, I dont think grado are that good tbh, even the GS1000's and HF2's. And I listen to a lot of rock, which Grado are supposed to excell at. I like Beyerdynamic. I like the AKG's I have but it took me a while to like them.

Also, If you have good cans, but still have s**t audio sources, 128kbps mp3's for example, and a s**t audio source, the audio will stil be s**t.

BOSE arent amazing really, they are overpriced.

Check Thomann out, they are fairly well priced for some cans. Also check out Headfi forums, theres a lot of used gear going there. Massive forum.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir...58c71d435ddf5bb88b30c&sw=beyerdynamic&x=0&y=0

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=a6ad2fb777058c71d435ddf5bb88b30c&sw=AKG&x=0&y=0

Not a 320d
Oh and check this out. While this wont tell you what a can will sound like, youll be able to get an idea of what to expect. Ive stuck Dre Beats in there and AKG K701's for a comparason. Lower frequency is bass, treble higher up etc. Beats are f**king hopeless and are all about big bass. (Check the lady gaga ones out LOL)

AKG's are a fairly well balanced set of cans. Not a much bass which ive grown to love, decent mids and highs. Really want a set of Beyerdynamic Dt880's now ive heard them.

Have a look at grados, they are supposed to have more bass and higher treble which is their signature.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=1383&graphID[1]=703&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Just because I like one set of cans doesnt mean to say you will. Same goes for everyone else.

2.2 bar shed.
Why not get the 701's (Which I have) for far far less. Unless you want to change the audio cable?Because thats the difference...... I assume youre aware you need an Amp to drive Akg701/2's ? (Or any high impedance headphone).

They're listed as pretty much the same price on amazon? The cables are the bit that always fail for me, best bit about my pioneers is the fact I can replace the cable. They're with me 24/7 though so I guess its half expected. As for an amp, they're not the hardest headphones to power and will sound 'fine' to the normal person without one. But yeah in the long run you'd invest in an amp.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I have the Beyerdynamic DT990's for hooking up to the separates system and Sennheiser CX400-ii in ear for the ipod.
Beats are crazily overpriced when you've picked up the above for £65 & £30 respectively.

2.2 bar shed.
They're listed as pretty much the same price on amazon? The cables are the bit that always fail for me, best bit about my pioneers is the fact I can replace the cable. They're with me 24/7 though so I guess its half expected. As for an amp, they're not the hardest headphones to power and will sound 'fine' to the normal person without one. But yeah in the long run you'd invest in an amp.

They run 1/4 inch instead of 3.5mm though, never thought of that.

Not a 320d
They are a bit quiet mate. I know theyre only 62 ohm but a computer or even a normal cd player wil not drive them well.