ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bearing press

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Having been quoted £40 for some bearings to be removed from my hubs, thought it's worth punting a little extra into buying my own.

Are these cheapo 6 tonne bottle jack style ones from ebay decent? Would 6 tonnes be enough to remove the bearings?

Don't really want to spend over £200 on one!

No idea on a cheapo press, but you'd also need plates? Thing is how often would you use it, as the fronts only need a press as it's
more cost effective to just replace the discs with bearings on the rear.

For reference Ive just had a bearing pressed out and new one in for £20 from Gary Burnett in Warrington, that's me taking the hub off though which is a piece of piss and only took 20 minutes. The outer Race will always come out of the old bearing as well which will need to be ground off the hub.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
No idea on a cheapo press, but you'd also need plates? Thing is how often would you use it, as the fronts only need a press as it's
more cost effective to just replace the discs with bearings on the rear.

For reference Ive just had a bearing pressed out and new one in for £20 from Gary Burnett in Warrington, that's me taking the hub off though which is a piece of piss and only took 20 minutes.
The hubs are spare ones, already off the car so i'd just be dropping them off.

This is true, might be worth the £40 just to save the aggravation. But then I think if I have my own press I can use it for other stuff, like bushes etc.

The hubs are spare ones, already off the car so i'd just be dropping them off.

This is true, might be worth the £40 just to save the aggravation. But then I think if I have my own press I can use it for other stuff, like bushes etc.
Yeah I suppose, it's always there for future cars as well. How much are they? If cheap enough with good reviews take a punt.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Might struggle with 6 ton...

The one we used at a mates to do Niall's was a 20 ton and it took a fair bit to 'crack the seal' so to speak.

£40 for both is fair really, as Phil said the outer race almost always gets stuck on the hub flange, so takes a bit of careful grinding to remove it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Might struggle with 6 ton...

The one we used at a mates to do Niall's was a 20 ton and it took a fair bit to 'crack the seal' so to speak.

£40 for both is fair really, as Phil said the outer race almost always gets stuck on the hub flange, so takes a bit of careful grinding to remove it.
Aye, dont get me wrong, £40 isn't bad! But wasn't sure if it was worth paying for a press just so I have it for future use. Love me some tools.

I am worried that's potentially the case with the Tonnage. I have a grinder so happy to take off that outer race if it does get stuck.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't go for 6 tons, it would be ok some of the time but some are proper buggers. I use one that can do 20 tonnes but it's massive and from about 1903!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Aye, dont get me wrong, £40 isn't bad! But wasn't sure if it was worth paying for a press just so I have it for future use. Love me some tools.

I am worried that's potentially the case with the Tonnage. I have a grinder so happy to take off that outer race if it does get stuck.

I'd look at investing a bit more (man maths), and get a 20T if you can. I'm sure my mate only paid about £150 years ago for it.

Maybe worth looking at a second hand one.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Had some bearings pressed out today at beanie sport. Id say 6 tonne press isnt enough. One bearing came out ok with a 20 tonne press and the other wouldn't budge.

dan's cast offs.
not worth the messing around for the sake of £20 to have a bearing swapped over. i use a 50t press and half the bearings i do take a fair whack to get them moving!!

is there an echo in here?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I’ve got a Clarke one I use often enough but for the sake of £40 I’d just pay someone. Some bearings can be a c**t and it’s no pleasant when they explode either

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Decided I'll be paying someone else to do it 😂
Trust the person who will be doing them so it saves scrapping any hubs or bearings by doing it myself.

Maybe I'll get one in the future!

PH2 172
I’ve got a Clarke one I use often enough but for the sake of £40 I’d just pay someone. Some bearings can be a c**t and it’s no pleasant when they explode either

Agree.
A press can bite when it goes wrong.
Seen some nasty injuries as a result.

I’ve got an eBay press, no idea on the pressure of it, but it’s good. Weighs more than the moon, and unfortunately the press itself has gone, I think a seal perhaps, so they’re not really built to last.

As said regarding injuries, I’ve had a bearing detonate from when I did the Saxo ones, not fun.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Get to know someone at your local garage/mot station, mine lets me use their press on occasions when i need one which is not very often(once or possibly twice a year) hence i wouldnt buy one

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I bought one of the cheapo eBay presses, at 12 tonnes with the bottle jack style operation. It was 77 odd quid if I remember right, have done loads of wheel bearings, bushes and stuff with it and never looked back. The way I look at it if it stops working I'll just buy another 12 tonne jack and crack on. You can use sockets to prop the hubs up if you're a little creative and have some large, long sockets laying around, and once you've got one bearing out, the old races of the bearings work very well as press tools to press the new bearings in. It's all flat pack style as well, and you can easily fit all the bits for it in your clio. It's probably easier to have them done for you, but if you're a bit of a home mechanic it's a useful thing to have about the place.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking at these as mine in the lupo are going again. Seen some for £100 on amazon which have good reviews, well tempted as it'll always come in handy for bushes too! Looking at the 12 ton ones

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_20180810-110130.jpg

I built one similar to the above years ago and while its handly now and again, unless you have a huge garage, I still do most stuff in my big bench vice just because I cant be bothered getting to the press.

Also worth considering you need mandrels and plates in a variety of sizes (save any old bearing shells), without them the press is useless and if you buy them, theyre not cheap

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I have an ebay special 20ton press that i paid £140 for years ago..its been a good bit of kit and has paid for itself loads of times. I only really use it for pressing new bearings in - i belt the old ones out with hammer and chisel, the shock gets them moving no bother.

Also great for pressing in wishbone bushes.
20180403_160041.jpg

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Last Clio bearings I did took 12Tonne to get them out so I wouldn't want less than that..

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm impressed with the quality for the price. Can't wait to lose an eye from exploding bearings too

My mate nearly did just that, bearing went pop and a shard cut him just below his eyebrow.

We decided to get someone else to do those jobs after that.