ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

battery voltage

the battery on my car has been playing up recently. even after using it constantly if i leave it 2-3 day's it dies.
now its sat at 11.80V, the car will not fire up when being jump started either. all that happens is a click, needles looks as if there vibrating.
could this be that my battery is buggered?
last time it went like this it happened when the weather was extremely cold so I put it down to the weather. i then had it on charge and it still wouldn't start (even once the charge was completely) and yet needed a power pack on it as well.

RS Clio 172 Cup
I had same problem, so brought new battery and still the same (TBH the old battery was f**ked and car was stood still for a few weeks), anyway put new plugs in, cleaned all sensors, checked all connections. Had no luck.
Then in the end, i removed the sheild in front of the starter motor, gave the starter a few hits using a long metal bar and a lump hammer. And its started everytime since.

The Starter motor is located between the engine and manifold and is quite hard to access. The is a metal sheild protecting it that needs removing first. Only way to get to it is between manifold piping.

Only other way is to borrow another battery to see if that helps!

Or try cleaning up all sensors and check connections, earth to battery, etc...

could well be the starter motor. it clicks when i turn the key, sometimes im lucky and get a double click.
just had a look at getting access to it....absolute nightmare. did you remove anything to get access to the shield?

RSC 182 Cup
Your battery voltage is way too low. My old battery was marginal at starting if the vehicle sat and was reading 12.6V.

Remove it and fully charge it on a decent charger, then let it sit overnight (out of the car and off the charger) and check the voltage in the morning. If it's not at least 12.6V then I'd be looking for a new battery.

Battery shops in Australia will load test them for free (it only takes a couple of minutes and can be done with it fitted.) Perhaps try that first, I'd imagine places where you live would do the same?

i thought the voltage was a bit lower then normal. just weird how its got that low after only being left standing for a week. i've left it for longer periods before, came back to it and it fires up first time.
going to get the recovery folk round this morning and see if they can confirm it being anything in particular (maybe starter motor as well) and after that get it on an optimate.

well had the recovery folk round just now. they whacked on their power pack and it turns over. just doesn't fire. so that eliminates the starter motor.
so battery is dead. going to get that on an optimate from today. next up is why the car isn't firing?