ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery / Starter Motor Issue

Trophy #387
Last week I purchased a Clio with 53,000 miles on... I was out with Dad driving it today and at a roundabout the car stalled and would not turn back on. We tried everything and in the end put the hazards on and opened the bonnet up!

I continued to try to start the car and nothing was happening, it wasn't even responding to me turning the key which made me think it wasn't the battery.

I've driven it in the last week or so with no problems whatsoever so for it to die as it did was a bit of a surprise.

I'd been driving for over 30 minutes before it cut out so it should have had some charge in it...

It's going in for a service on Monday anyway and if it is the battery that will only cost about £30 I think, however I have no idea how much a starter motor will set me back.

Any ideas what the problem was and how much it'll cost?

Thanks.

2004 182FF
I had this with my 2002 1.2.

The AA came out, tested where was getting power. He popped off the positive starter motor wire, cleaned the connector with wire wool. Put it back on and it started first time.

It can be the tiniest thing like that or something bigger. Checked the fuses?

When you say nothing is happening, does it all power up as normal just no starter? Or no lights nothing?

Trophy #387
No the lights came on and stuff but the engine wasn't even trying to start when I turned the key.

In the end we pushed it 100 yards back up hill on the main road and my Dad jumped in and I pushed it back down the hill and it bump started.

It could well just be that the batter has died or something small as you say...

Cheers :)

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
On my 1.4 there was a small green wire in the wiring loom that had snaped, but not completly. Check this, because it was the renault tech guy so told me to check this on mine.

I dont think a car will ever stall once running because of flat'sh battry??

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I had this with my 2002 1.2.

The AA came out, tested where was getting power. He popped off the positive starter motor wire, cleaned the connector with wire wool. Put it back on and it started first time.

It can be the tiniest thing like that or something bigger. Checked the fuses?

When you say nothing is happening, does it all power up as normal just no starter? Or no lights nothing?

This +1