ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery problems

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help.
I have 2000 1.4 16v clio.
Went to start the car tues morning and the battery was completely dead. I jumped the car and it started first time. I drove to work about an hours drive in the dark so headlights wipers radio heater all on. When I got to work I stopped and it wouldn't start again immediately. I thought it can't be the alternator because I'd have never made that journey. I changed the battery on tues Eve all of wed's it drove as normal started fine everytime. It started fine thurs (today) morning again hours motorway drive plus A roads for 20 mins. It started fine after work. On the drive home the battery and stop light flashed for about 1 second or less about 10 times on the motorway. It seemed to be when changing gear or accelerating hard. It didn't do it for the last 20 mins of my journey. When I got home I stopped and it's dead again. I thought it must be a loose connection or earth. All earths seem fine I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make that drive if it was the alternator. Alternator connections seem fine. I don't think it can be a battery drain as it would be fine straight after that journey. I'm stumped.

renault clio 1.4 16v
if you have a volt meter, measure the voltage across the battery with the engine running, it should be around 14 volts... also make sure that the connectors on the battery terminals are clean and free of corrosion, when the car fails to start do you still have interior lights and dash lights? if you do then check the connections on the starter motor itself, these can often cause starting problems...

if all else fails try gently talking to the car in French :tonguewink:

I've just got hold of a voltmeter and that is my plan for the morning. The battery I took off thinking it was dead just gave me a reading of 12.4 volts so I was beginning to think it may be a starter problem. Would that cause the battery light to flick on?

Tested the battery with the car running and the battery started with 11v and the longer it ran the more it dropped. I'm looking for a guide to remove the alternator. I can't seem to find the hole to release the tension on the alternator belt.

renault clio 1.4 16v
ah yea your alt is poked then, take the drivers side wheel and arch liners off, u may be able to get to the tensioner from underneath or you may need to undo the engine mounts a bit and move the engine over for a bit more space, its a bumper off job to get the alt out as it bolts in from the front...

good luck:beers: