ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Earth

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
My car's having problems stating and i'm now pretty sure it's the battery earth,
wouldn't start this morning and got the clicking noise (starter motor?) and dash lights flashing.

When it finally fired up the dash clock was reset to 0:00,
the battery is fully charged because I checked it the other day when this happened.

I'm at work today so i'm a little concerned that it won't start again at the end of the day,
other than wiring a plug I know sod all about electrics.

What I need to know is where is the battery earth, what does it look like,
and is there anything I can do to get the car to start if it plays up again?

Cheers. :D

Evo 8 MR
If it does that again I believe you can bump start it.

My friend had the same problem on his cup judging from what you've said and once he bought a new battery it was fine.

The negative terminal from the battery goes straight to an earth point so just follow the wire. If it's using the standard terminal connector and it's all tight and connected up properly I think it's unlikely to be an earth problem.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
how did you check the battery? Voltage may be present, but as soon as its put under a load (ie starting) a duff battery would do what you're describing.

Imo if it was an earth problem you'd get nothing

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
If it does that again I believe you can bump start it.

My friend had the same problem on his cup judging from what you've said and once he bought a new battery it was fine.

The negative terminal from the battery goes straight to an earth point so just follow the wire. If it's using the standard terminal connector and it's all tight and connected up properly I think it's unlikely to be an earth problem.

Cheers maate i'll have a look, if i'm lucky then it may just need tightening,
i'm going to get it booked in at a local Renault speialist, but I just wanted to check if it's something I can fix before I go spending money.

It just wasn't having any of it this morning, but then suddenly fired up like there was nothing wrong.

how did you check the battery? Voltage may be present, but as soon as its put under a load (ie starting) a duff battery would do what you're describing.

I took the battery out last week and put it on to charge but it was fully charged,
the battery's less than 6 months old aswell.

Evo 8 MR

True this.

Cheers maate i'll have a look, if i'm lucky then it may just need tightening,
i'm going to get it booked in at a local Renault speialist, but I just wanted to check if it's something I can fix before I go spending money.

It just wasn't having any of it this morning, but then suddenly fired up like there was nothing wrong.

I took the battery out last week and put it on to charge but it was fully charged,
the battery's less than 6 months old aswell.

You shouldn't need to take it anywhere, I'd say it's a safe bet to say it's the battery tbh.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody typical,
I had a mobile battery place come out last time and fit a new one that's under a years warrenty, but i've lost the friggin' recipt. :dapprove:

Cheers for the help lads, i've got jump leads in the car,
so if it happens again i'll blag a strangers car to start it off their battery.

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
i'd double check the engine earth imho

if it's flat you would just get the clicking noise but would never start the car after that

Polo + Micra
not got a clue where it is and can only guess that it will look like some sort of braided wire link

SQ5
One on the top rear of the gearbox and another braided strip of metal in passenger side wheel arch that mounts to front side of box