ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery drain

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
My 172 is draining the battery aver the course of a week or two, how do i go about testing with a multimeter to diagnose the cause?

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
You're gonna want to do a parasitic draw test by the sounds of things, YouTube is awash with videos explaining how to do this however this one below seems to be fairly good at explaining the reasonings/method on how to do this. hopefully is helps :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Set the multimeter to Amps DC, take the -neg wire off the battery (fully charged), stick the black probe on the battery and the red probe to the cable you've took off the battery.

Then start unplugging things and watch for the current draw to drop.

I'm guessing alternator diode pack.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Start off on one of the highest amp settings and work your way down until you get a reading, otherwise you could blow a fuse in the meter. A decent one will have some protection overload though.

Not that it'll be drawing loads anyway I wouldn't imagine, a couple hundred milliamps at most.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Ah now I'm thinking it could be linked to my interior lights not working when either door is opened and the fact my alarm will go off when unlocked with a door open

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I got a reading of 0.022 doing the test you suggested James so that would suggest I've got no problem with parasitic drain right?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Good question, that was on my auto ranging multimeter using the Amps rather than milliamps setting. Can you tell I haven't much of a clue what I'm on about:D.

When opening boot, drivers door etc I got around 4 amps, interestingly though not with the passenger door so would that be linked to my interior light not working when doors are opened?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Probably yeah, check the switch in the door.
Had a look, it's damaged so might be the problem except the interior light won't work with the drivers door either even though I can see it drawing power when open. They work on the switches however