ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Dead, Bonnet & doors wont open!! Emergency

FF182 Brembo Max, BMC CDA
Hi,

My Battery is well and truely dead, I cannot open the doors using the key fob and using the key in the passenger door doesnt work, it just keeps spiinging round without unlocking the car.

I need to get in the bonnet so I can recharge the battery, please help.

Cheers

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
what will the rac do? smash the window?
Aye think so mate.... You effectively need to break into your own car. The rac Smash the glass properly though. when they did mine it didn't go all over the place (in the car etc)....

Unless you can get up under the car and open the bonnet that way?

No chance of getting up to the bonnet latch on a 2.0

Next best thing to do would be to smash the upper grill and open it that way.

would they be able to break in via the broken passenger side doot lock that just keeps spinning round! sodding shoody renault!

matey, there was a guy on here who's bonnet latch stopped working on a 182 and he found a way of opening it without breaking/cutting/smashing anything - search for it and hopefully that will help.... I think he wrote a guide...?

www.renparts.co.uk
if your handy, you might be able to remove the front undertray and arch liner and get a feed from another battery onto your battery. other than that smashy smashy ;)

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
if your handy, you might be able to remove the front undertray and arch liner and get a feed from another battery onto your battery. other than that smashy smashy ;)

we did this on my mates excort. was a bit fidgity but in the end we got the liner out and got the jump leads on.

its werth a try..

You don't need to smash anything to get the bonnet open even on the 172/182. You need to remove the bumper. The grill unclips from it and stays on the car. Once the bumper is off you can lift the grill up and see the bonnet catch. You need to stick a long screw driver in there and hit it with a hammer. I'll dig out my post of how I did it. The bumper is held on with a single nut under each wheel arch.

It is impossible to open it from inside the engine bay - tamper proof and no access on a 1*2.

Alternately you could possibly get power leads on. Earth is easy obviously - anywhere with bare metal. Probably the best place to get the positive on from underneath is the starter motor feed, on most cars that is always live (I know this from dropping spanners on it - spark) and it is the solenoid that actually connects it to the motor. That would be easier - probably although I can't picture where the starter motor is on a 1*2 even though I've done loads of work on them - so access could be crap. But, lol isn't it always!

On my Dad's car when this happened the RAC man had an inflatable bag thing. He managed to slide it down the door seal and inflate it so it pushed the top of the door away from the car enough for them to get a stick in to open the door.

On my Dad's car when this happened the RAC man had an inflatable bag thing. He managed to slide it down the door seal and inflate it so it pushed the top of the door away from the car enough for them to get a stick in to open the door.
pretty damn clever that!

Da

Less
Jack the front of the car up, get it on stands and then get a +ve feed from another battery onto the starter motor. This is linked directly to the battery of your car and should provide enough power to open the doors.
Make sure you also connect the -ve of the second battery to your chassis somewhere.

172 Race Car
This is correct, Rac will not smash a window unless absolutley nessisary.

getting into this clio is easy

182-racing-blue

havent read the whole thread but have you changed the battery in the remote????

All sorted last night, We phoned the rac. He jacked up the car and managed to feed some jucie through the starter motor cable. Just enough to open the door to open the bonnet.

Went and got a new battery this morning as its happened twice now so emergency over. Thanks Mr RAC.