ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery cable

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Need a bit of advise please. I have to put the battery in the boot but don't know what cable I need or where to get the correct stuff from, what amp rating etc do I need? The car in a 2002 172
Thanks
Chris

1.2 Clio
You can use 4 gauge cabling (roughly 20mm^2)
You can buy it from hellfrauds and pay a ton for it £7 a meter... or you can buy it from CAD... or welding supplier or anywhere really. Don't forget you only need the positive as you connect the negative to earth! Will need about 5 meters to get you right into the boot!
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-pc20r-4awg-p-6049.html?cadid=bq3ied7i79ev63h95afhfgsbe1 £2.50 a meter... £12.5
You then need to consider how to connect all you existing terminal connections to the new wire to reach the boot this woudl work http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-pc20r-4awg-p-6049.html?cadid=bq3ied7i79ev63h95afhfgsbe1
Then you really should fuse the cable in the bot by the battery and at the other end buy the distro block!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLD-FUSE-HOLDER-CAR-AMP-TYPE-2-FREE-FUSES_W0QQitemZ290265207449QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290265207449&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A2|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Sorted, less than £30 inc postage too!

Don't put the standard batery in the boot though
Use a sealed lead acid one, we don't want you dying now... either by fumes, hydrogen combustion due to electrolysis of the acid , or the battery fallign voer and melting your boot pan away!

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Excellent, thanks. If I use a battery box in the boot instead of just mounting to the floor will I still need a sealed battery? also whats the need for two fuses?

vaux cavalier
Not many responses here is there.....

Firstly you need to consider the likely draw, then consider the distance between the battery & the starter.....

An average starter motor will pull around 20amps unloaded, (as in sitting on a bench spinning itself), but spinning an engine is a different kettle of fish.....

I would expect the draw to be anywhere from 200amps to 350amps, (may well be more but I'm not familiar with the Clio's), a quick check on the stock battery specs will give a clue, (check the CCA rating).....

There are a few issues which should be addressed to ensure you maintain a safe charge circuit, (also don't forget to inform your insurance company who will possibly request proof its safe).....

The battery will need to be firmly fixed or clamped down & of the sealed variety, (unless housed in a sealed container with venting to the outside of the car).....

Any cable which passes through the bulkhead that has a power supply needs to be fused, (which means that the alt/batt charge lead needs fusing in accordance with the alt output & cable rating).....

4awg over 12 feet shouldn't be fused any higher than 125amps based on safety, based on voltage drop it should be fused no higher than 80amps.....

BatteryRelocationpic2.jpg

I would go with 0awg power cable throughout the start/charge circuit, some will state this is overkill, I would state its safe.....

The starter draw would only last a few moments, (hopefully), so I would start with a 150amp fuse, (which should support short bursts upto well in excess of 250amps), but not exceed 250amps, again based on safety....

The above sketch is merely an example of how I would go about relocating the battery in my car, as I stated earlier I'm not familiar with the Clio so you may not require all the under bonnet earths or fused feeds.....

1.2 Clio
You require venting to outside if you still want to use non sealed.Better to get a sealed one and use a battery box.It's a lot of hassell really. Must you move it to the boot?

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Thanks for the replies, so can I use any 4awg cable as everything I can find seems to be amp wiring, will this also be ok to use for the battery and starting etc??

vaux cavalier
Thanks for the replies, so can I use any 4awg cable as everything I can find seems to be amp wiring, will this also be ok to use for the battery and starting etc??

I suppose you have decided to ignore my previous post.....

Good luck mate, hope all goes well.....