ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banging after 4k rpm, mostly in second gear?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all, ive got a Ph2 172 non cup.

When i give it a blast and get up passed about 4k rpm, it starts making a very loud cracking, banging and clattering sort of noise, which will continue right up to the redline?

Its bad in second gear and it rarely does it in 3rd gear aswell.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Liam.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Can you pin point where the noise is from?

Engine area, under the car, from the back?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Pop the bonnet and ask someone to rev the car to understand if its from engine turnover or from speed on the road.

Also help to see if you can hear it, where it's coming from.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
It doesn't make the noise when the can is in neutral, its only when I'm driving and I forgot to say that it doesn't do it when the car is cold?

Arctic Blue FF 182
Does it sound like something like an engine mount is knocking around, or is it a mechanical noise from say gears in the box?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I couldnt tell you if it was the gears in the box, ive got no mechanical knowledge haha.

Ive had a look at the exhaust system and given it a good shake about and nothing seems to be moving or banging against anything?

I was told by renault that it was that twisted engine mount but ive replaced that with a new part and its still making the noise.

Could it be where the exhaust manifold joins the centre section hitting the heatshield?

Thanks, Liam.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Could be the drivers side engine mount bud.

Support the engine from underneath and take the mount off to check it.

(2 minute job)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Is that on the left of the engine as your looking at the bay, 4 bolts holding it in place is it?

Thanks for the replies!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont think its the mounting. could it be something to do with the metal part covering the fuel rail? from what i can feel, there is only 1 bolt holding it in place, (i cant see in the wholes) i cant move it with my hand but if i hit it, it makes a little rattle noise?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Could be the fuel rail guard as you suggest. Iirc some people ha issues with the bolts sheering / falling out.

Get a socket on it and take it off for a look, only a 2 min job.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I see there are 3 holes for bolts, but are there meant to be 3 bolts or just 2?

Won't get time tonight but hopefully get a look tomorrow!

Cheers

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Had a mate in the car tonight and he thinks its the exhaust banging on something.

Im guessing its either where the manifold joins the centre section, or the rear of the exhaust which goes above the axel?

can someone point me in the right direction to look?
loose mountings or anything?

the exhaust is a cutom S/S from cat back, just the one section from the cat back to the box.

cheers, Liam.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
apparently my exhaust used to do this before I bought the car; the dealer had to put something on the car or replaced something to stop it from banging. Im still not sure what was actually replaced even after 100 questions...

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmm.. im hoping there will be a mark where its been knocking or something.

Car is going to get a radiator fitted on saturday so ill get it quickly checked over if i cant find anything myself!

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Could be manifold to cat join? Bolts might be loose if the Cat's been changed recently etc... I had this problem when I changed the cat and didnt tighten them up enough.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Alright thanks mate, ill have a look at this tonight because it actually sounds as if its around that area! At first I thought it was the heatsheild banging off the manifold but its not that.

Cheers!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I had a quick look last night but i couldnt see anything loose?

i did find that a wire coming from the cat has been rubbing on something and has almost worn right through?

Clio 172
This sounds like what was happening to mine.

Under hard acceleration my back box was hitting the real axel hence the banging noise.

Got a new centre pipe which moved the back box away from the rear axel. Problem fixed.

Clio 172
Was my back box/centre pipe hitting the rear axle.

Got a new centre pipe and back box fitted correctly and all was sorted

Clio 182
Got the car at another garage today am hoping it's third time lucky on solving this issue will let ya know how I get on