ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Balls! Brother has had his keys nicked, how to get the car home

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Brother has had his keys (among other things) stolen whilst he was out in town. Thats a big enough pain in the arse but his car is parked at the train station and his spare key doesn't start it and is also 400 miles away in London.

The tricky bit is going to be towing it home. Obviously going to have to smash a window but has anyone managed to overcome the steering wheel lock with breaking other bits? Whenever I've done it in a scrappies its always been hit or miss.

PM me obviously if its something that would make a thieves job really easy!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Smash window, undo bonnet and disconnect battery (To shut the alarm up) release handbrake, winch it onto trailer, drive home.

No need to worry about the steering lock until you get home tbh mate.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Get someone with AA or Rac cover to get someone out to get into it? Locked the keys in the 172 when I had a problem with the battery. Took RAC man 5 mins to get in without breaking anything

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Getting into it is easy. Screwdriver, wire coat hanger some old rag and a lump of 2x4. Will leave no marks either!

(Yes, I regularly lock keys in cars at work! lol)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I've had to break into a few clios, I was saying to just smash the window so as not to publicise how I do it!

Its the steering lock thats the issue. Guess it'll have to be the trailer option. AA could get into it but they won't tow it home I reckon.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I've got AA relay cover mate. You can use it to get it brought up the road if ye want.

FF Clio 182
Windscreen cover on insurance ? Smash it to get it then unlock, disconnect battery and drag it onto the back of a truck...

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol! It was in Edinburgh Gaz, dunno if you're that we'll connected ;)

might go and get a ecu,uch, key and ignition barrel etc out of a dci65. It's either that or Renault and I think the 2nd market will be easier!

Clio 182
This might be a stupid question but even tho the spare key won't start the engine surly you can put it in the ignition to take the steering lock off ?

SQ5
Buy a couple of wheel dollys. You won't break the steering lock. We tried when a similar thing happened with one of my breakers. Lost the keys so forced steering wheel around, moved wheels but took some effort, never actually broke the steering lock.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Been up and checked it, its parked right in line of sight of cctv and theres no parking time limit so just gonna keep a daily check on it and order 2 keys first thing tomorrow. Wheel dollies are a good idea tbf but getting them on a sunday could be tricky. McDonalds trays? ;)

​Thanks for all the input guys.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah he's already called. I probably looked sus as f**k when I turned up, tried the door handle and then took a pic of the vin on the dash then drove away!

Theres a easier way to get into the car ;)

Pull up the bottom window seal from around the window,
In the bottom/middle of the window there is a white tab,
Push the tab out or break it and the window falls down :D

SQ5
Been up and checked it, its parked right in line of sight of cctv and theres no parking time limit so just gonna keep a daily check on it and order 2 keys first thing tomorrow. Wheel dollies are a good idea tbf but getting them on a sunday could be tricky. McDonalds trays? ;)

​Thanks for all the input guys.

Machine Mart or Halfords should be able to sort you out I reckon!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Brother has had his keys (among other things) stolen whilst he was out in town. Thats a big enough pain in the arse but his car is parked at the train station and his spare key doesn't start it and is also 400 miles away in London.

The tricky bit is going to be towing it home. Obviously going to have to smash a window but has anyone managed to overcome the steering wheel lock with breaking other bits? Whenever I've done it in a scrappies its always been hit or miss.

PM me obviously if its something that would make a thieves job really easy!

Sorry to hear it mate. Out of curiosity does he know where he had them lifted?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
f**k! Next problem, just spoken to Adam at Renault, who was as helpful as ever, but he can't order keys and dealers will only order a set with the v5. Which is in London. And even then a blade takes 5 working days.

Think it's going to have to be recovered home and then either wait or buy a new keyset/ecu/uch etc etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
We have a couple of wheel dollies mate if you need them mate.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No problem mate. I also think we have a "break in" kit somewhere just incase.