ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ball joints and geometry

I have been told the O/S ball joint on my clio is shagged. I have ordered a couple of new ones from NWP and have read that I will need to get the tracking checked once I've fitted them. Quick question, will I also need to get the geometry checked after changing them? Here's hoping no as I've just had it set up for many pennies!!

Cheers, Matt

Debatable

If you're old ones are completely shagged then the wheel won't have been sitting right on them which can affect tracking

Not a massive amount but with all suspension stuff I'd get a quick geometry setup after fitting them

172/1.2/E30
If your old ones are shagged and you got tracking done with them in, tracking will be affected. If the geometry is based on good joints (factory setup etc), you are just getting back to the former "status" by renewing the bottom ball joints.

cheers for the replies guys. not too fussed if it is only tracking that needs doing but will be PISSED if it affects camber and castor as I explicitly asked the garage to check everything was ok before they did the set up, and they clearly didn't!!

Have you got adjustable camber bolts? or adjustable top mounts

If not then the camber/caster isn't adjustable on your car anyway - so all they will have checked is the toe in/out (tracking)

Well in that case if they've done a geometry setup on knackered ball joints I'd be taking it back and asked for it checked - they shouldn't have done it on knackered components :(