ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ball joint replacement

as above im needing advice for my clio as the passenger side has a slight knocking so before it gets any worse im gonna change it so whats the best way please

RS RIP
do'nt know but think you should do the other side aswell.
i checked mine while on the bridge and both had some play. Going to change them in a couple of months

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
if you want i'll give you a hand if needed
there easy peasy
pm me if your interested and you can come over, should only take bout 40 mins or so

Not a poxy Renault
They are held in by two bolts to the wishbone and the ball joint itself is an inteferance fit into the hub, which is then secured with a nut and bolt. you will a 'chisel' type ball joint splitter - looks and operates like a chisel, with a forked end, to remove the ball joint from the hub (scissor type splitters do not fit)
52052_m.jpg

Undo the wishbone to ball joint nuts first (x2), remove the nut and bolt from the hub (you will need a pin punch or similar to drive the bolt out), then the fork of the splitter goes around the shaft of the ball joint, as you hammer the splitter, its wedge profile drives the shaft from the hub - this takes some serious welly, so get a big hammer. This will completely destroy the ball joint so make sure you've got the right one to re-fit.

is it the type of ball joint with the 2 holes on the flatter piece?
the reason i ask is simply because my auto factors said there 2 types?

Not a poxy Renault
They have 2 bolt holes on the flatter piece, I think the 2 different types relate to 2 different hole diameters, you'd want the larger hole diameter for your 172. I 'think' its 12mm

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
They have 2 bolt holes on the flatter piece, I think the 2 different types relate to 2 different hole diameters, you'd want the larger hole diameter for your 172. I 'think' its 12mm

do both they are12mm but some shops will say 13mm just don't buy the 10mm ones