ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Baked-on' dirt on wheels

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Gave my car a wash tonight. 3 of my wheels came up spotless as usual, but the 4th (nearside front) has a lot of 'baked-on' dirt on it. I have snow foamed, washed with Zymol and then used various cleaners and mitts/brushes and have got the majority off, but there is still some. I have seen this before but only when wheels haven't been cleaned for a good few months. This has only been 2 weeks. Before washing the wheels were dirty as per usual with general road dirt, brake dust etc. Any ideas what could be causing it and what could get it off?

IMG_2329_zpsfa2453b7.jpg

IMG_2330_zpsfef480c4.jpg

IMG_2328_zpsb4371ba1.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Do you have a sticking caliper? Causing excess dust and heating up the wheel so much that it bonds to the paint??

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Not that I'm aware of. Will check tomorrow. It hasn't happened in every spoke though. Surely this would be the case due to the wheel moving all the time?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Not yet. It was a very quick clean tonight - snow foam, wash, dry, quick detail - just to get all of the Sahara dust off. Will have a go with some polish at the weekend.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I was told by a detailer that if you get that yellow stains on the wheels then a rub with some polish usually takes it off. Obvioualy has to be an abbrassive polish.

Ive personally never tried it but it might work

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I was told by a detailer that if you get that yellow stains on the wheels then a rub with some polish usually takes it off. Obvioualy has to be an abbrassive polish.

Ive personally never tried it but it might work
Quick rub with some SRP and it's off! Cheers for the advice!

Just to clear up some incorrect assumptions in this thread...

If it's bake on brake dust, it is Iron contamination. Therefore, you need an Iron remover (IronX, WWHW, IronOut etc). If it is staining from another contaminant, you need a remover for that, so TarX/Tardis for tar, clay for other types of fallout and finally polish for staining, as you need to remove a tiny amount of the top layer.