ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Badge snobs

just ignore them, its a very nice car to have at 21!!

although i do think its mad to spend 15k on a brand new clio

yap

51 Clio 172
Ask them have they drove a Clio RS, probaly not, that should keep em quite.

Clio 197
If no one purchased brand new cars then there would be no used car market, remember that when saying “I would never spend 15k on a Renault” people who do keep the market going.

Anyway 15k is about the going rate; other people have posted up saying they spent 18k now that’s a lot.

I would have the Clio over BMW, cost of keeping that thing on the road would be crazy, plus for the price of the Clio you get a lot of kit for your money, not long ago it used to be top end cars costing over 40k that had push start ignition.

None
Where i come from people hold much more sway in good 182 than an Alfa or BMW......., those that know do anyway, hot hatches are much better and more practical, on my street alone there is my 182, my brothers clio sport, civic type R, leon cupra, ibiza gti, golf v6 and a mazda 3 mps.......not one BMW or Alfa or merc, a full fat 182 like mine has all the toys and gadgets with all the speed for half the price.....:)

Though i do also have to say that if i did have fifteen grand to spend on a car it would be £5000 on a supra twin turbo and the other £10,000 on giving it an extra 300hp :)

Last edited:

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Took one out for a drive out of the local dealers and tbh there is no way I would pay £15,000+ for it, for me it was not half as good a drive as i was expecting.

I was thinking that when I got back in the 172 it was going to be hated but tbh I got back in smiling that I only parted with £3000 for more or less the same fun compared to the price ticket on the 200.

Porsche Boxster987S
i think theyre nice cars but id NEVER pay 15-16k for a clio apart from a vee. I prefered to go for the meganef1 and pocket 6k. Better car imo and better value for money

RS200
to be fair is i,d of had no options it would have been about £14.200 but with cup pack and recaros its gone up significantly.

Insignia SRi
I must admit for £15k id have a MK2 V6 but the 200 is no shaby car and im sure they will be very suprised when you get it. Your only young once why not have fun with it now, plenty of time for a grown up german saloon!! My old man (54) has a C class merc but he still asks to borrow mine from time to time cos he thinks its so much fun!! lol

320d
It's your car mate you don't need to justify it to anybody tbh.

My mates at the minute are all starting to upgrade to 1.6's such as mk6 zetec s fiesta's, astra 1.6's etc because "they're fast as fcuk" and will laugh at me when I turn up in a ph1 172 becuase it's old, 5 years older than the car it replaces and it's a little clio.

I'm not remotely bothered, it will be my car, I pay for it so what does it have to do with anybody else?

Titanium 182
To put it into perspective a middle of the range Seat Leon 1.6 petrol engine with bluetooth is £14500 new

:rolleyes:

Titanium 182
"I'd rather have a brand new 200 than an old M3 personally."

What an E46 M3, are you serious????

Deadly, for one I couldn't afford and nor would I want to run an M3 as well as the other maintinence costs that would come with an older M3.

Would much rather have a brand new perfect 200.

Insignia SRi
Yeah true i see what you mean about insurance especially if you are yonger but if i personally had the choice (being 25) and getting the train to work all week i would rather have the M3 or even possibly a Monaro now the prices have dropped on them!! 5.7l V8 power nad 400bhp lol

1.5dci 80bhp
you think your victim of much ridicule I own a dci and a smart fortwo but do I care no I have betting thinks in life to worry about on what people think about the cars I drive and it shuts them up when I tell them I can tax both cars for £70 a year.

R26r R26
To the OP, surely you are buying the car because you like it? Why give a fukc what anyone else thinks.:)

PS 200
Would of saved and extra 5k and bought the car I'm saving for now. ;)
That's a dangerous game ;).

Once you've got the £20k it'll be OOh another 5K and I could get a xyz etc etc etc.

You'll end up getting a M5 for £50k when you're too old to enjoy it ;)

Clio 172 RS2
Yeah!

Regardless of what other peeps think or say...

Like do you ever see a M3 owner driving his car to the fullest in the twisties / B-roads? Yes to Premium for that innit'. Fun is not a straight line.

Most peeps forget what a hot hatch is all about.
Only what's parked in fornt of their houses so other see there 'status'.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
lol! I love this topic! At the end of the day, you've made the decision based on your situation/wants and needs. I'd rather have a 15k RS clio than a 15k m3 with 75k miles on it. The clio's got warrenty, the running costs are low, the insurance is cheaper, Maint post warrenty is less. You've made a logical choice imo.

Nimbus 197
lol! I love this topic! At the end of the day, you've made the decision based on your situation/wants and needs. I'd rather have a 15k RS clio than a 15k m3 with 75k miles on it. The clio's got warrenty, the running costs are low, the insurance is cheaper, Maint post warrenty is less. You've made a logical choice imo.

That's what I was trying to say. I think people fail to look at the overall picture of owning a car. My company car is a 20K Vectra diesel, now, in all honesty, including the VXR, can anyone say 20k for a vectra is ok?!?!?!?

The RS Clios are bloody good value for money. If you like cheap older cars fine, I prefer newer cars, so I pay the premium.

C

Cupster

Lol @ real badge snobs, the ones that think they are better because they go buy a 318 BM or 200 slk etc (bottom of the range models) then try and rag them!! noobs!

or worse still, try to hide the fact by sticking M3 bages etc on.

or even worse still...... the 'Sport' badge :quiet:

GTD, Lupo
I bought my 200 new cos of two things really.

The first being i had the money and the scrappage scheme was too good to pass up :D

The second is the fact i like RSs but would never own a second hand one. Lets be honest, renault and reliabilty dont really go very well together :D plus the stupid prices you have to pay for parts (182 exhaust) and services (belts). Brand new you have the best of both worlds. You know it hasnt been bounced of the rev limiter at some cack show trying to make flames come out the exhaust ;D . Its brand new you are thge only driver of that car, if it breaks give it back to renault and free of charge you get the car back working. My car cost me nothing month in month out and will cost me nothing for the next 3 years because nothing SHOULD break :D and if it does warranty is your friend :D

Paul

Paul

M2 Competition
Just ignore them :s You're having more fun and thats what the cars about.

Not everyone buys a car to drive fast down a twisty country road hunting limit points, so live and let live.

Citroen DS3 White
My Clio was more fun than my TT.

On a long journey though there are other things to consider.

Horses for courses...

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
each to their own....i loved my cup but, all round my (bottom of the range poor mans) bmw 320d is a better car in every aspect apart from speed and chuckability...if the clios were built with german build quality i'd have another one as a daily drive in a second.....would be the perfect car...(imo of course in case someone gets upset)

R

revalot

hey guys i get this all the time from work colleagues they jus dont understand that some people have diffrent tastses in cars. A year ago i bought my brand new 197 cup i think its the best 15 grand ive spent so far in my life. Who cares what other people think if you like the car what diffrence does the badge make. I have friends and family that work in the motor industry bmw, ford, porche and vw, they wernt too sure I made the right decision with they 197 but after owning it a year and having no problems with it theyve swayed there opinions, they even agreed that the same car options offered by the dealerships they work for wouldnt buy you the same vehicle i have for the money or wouldnt be as reliable.

Since ordering my 200 i have been the victim of much ridicule
from friends and work mates for spending £15,000 on a RENAULT CLIO!!.
They all say omg you could have bought an old M3, a new style A3 a Merc, BMW 325i an Alfa GT the list goes on.
Its starting to get annoying and apart from the M3 which is nice but i,d never get insured there all so boring and more for comfort and showing off than actual driving pleasure!
I mean people with lots of money tend to miss out on such good cars like any renault sport clio or meg because it holds a renault badge. They might not have a million bhp but give it a twisty road and it will stick to most super cars arse worth 4-5 times the money.
So on that basis 15k is a bargain!
Does anyone else get these type of comments from friends and if so i want some witty comment to come back next time :evil:

You must be joking about the "supercar" part I hope.

The renault clio RS isn't exactly fast, I would class it as nippy, it merely feels fast because it's essentially a cardboard box on wheels.

Brand new, I would class it as poor value for money. I would pay a few k for one, I would never pay £15,000 for one as they are poorly engineered and IMO not worth £15k, even when new.
If it must be a hot hatch, something like this http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2007&vehicleRegLetter=57 will be better value for money as it's a little older, but will have some money spent on the interior and engineering of various mission critical parts.

I bought my 200 new cos of two things really.

The first being i had the money and the scrappage scheme was too good to pass up :D

The second is the fact i like RSs but would never own a second hand one. Lets be honest, renault and reliabilty dont really go very well together :D plus the stupid prices you have to pay for parts (182 exhaust) and services (belts). Brand new you have the best of both worlds. You know it hasnt been bounced of the rev limiter at some cack show trying to make flames come out the exhaust ;D . Its brand new you are thge only driver of that car, if it breaks give it back to renault and free of charge you get the car back working. My car cost me nothing month in month out and will cost me nothing for the next 3 years because nothing SHOULD break :D and if it does warranty is your friend :D

Paul

Paul

Did you by any chance care to see how much your car is shedding in depreciation?
That's costing you month in month out, you just don't see it, so in your mind it doesn't exist.

GTD, Lupo
The depreciation is nothing compared to the cost of running a 20 year old golf like i did before. Not only the cost but the fact that every noise it made i worried and paniced thinking it was broken. For the little added extra cost i pay im happy to just jump in the car and not worry about any hidden costs. I know what i have paid is it so nothing else matters.

Oh and even second hand cars drop in price so pointless point.

Should be able to resell the 200 for 9-10k in 3 years EASY

Mate bought a 182 2 years ago 8k ish not worth much more than 5 now oh and he has to do his belts, he was also worring about some rattles coming from the exhaust aswell. He also has to MOT it,

Focus st brand new rnt 15k..,.

You get my point?

Paul

Last edited: