ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back to the fold - Supercharged Clio 172 Track Car

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Just been through Cubs thread and the box was refurbed the grand total of 6000 miles ago.

Part of the box refurb was the synchro on 3rd!

Renault boxes do not last well!

535d / t5 caravelle
i noticed new box in the for sale advert, would have expected it to last lonher than that ffs!

i used to get through them on my mk1 valver, 3 i think, 1 in my williams, the 172 cup however was fine.

bit of a bummer, but i could live with it, if i had that car.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just been through Cubs thread and the box was refurbed the grand total of 6000 miles ago.

Part of the box refurb was the synchro on 3rd!

Renault boxes do not last well!
You’ve adjusted the bearing for the shifter though haven’t you?
I’ve been round track in that car with Cub driving like his balls were on fire and neverd a crunch.
If I was you (I’d be rich, clearly) I’d spend a couple of hours playing with the linkages to see if you can get it right.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You’ve adjusted the bearing for the shifter though haven’t you?
I’ve been round track in that car with Cub driving like his balls were on fire and neverd a crunch.
If I was you (I’d be rich, clearly) I’d spend a couple of hours playing with the linkages to see if you can get it right.
Not touched the shifter as I couldn’t be arsed to take the cat off to get at it.

All it’s had is the joints lubed up. The shift issue is a synchro and not a miss alignment. You can feel the graunch and resistance on any shift above around 4k.

Lucky most tracks are 3rd upwards so it’ll be fine.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Took it for fuel, ready for Sunday. It still works....
3B8283CE-E744-4A21-BB69-A74793870B60.jpeg

535d / t5 caravelle
will there be footage? woukd like to see how well this goes, always loved supercharged clio's.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
will there be footage? woukd like to see how well this goes, always loved supercharged clio's.

I’ve packed the cameras but I’ll see how the car gets on first.

Might do a bit in the afternoon.

535d / t5 caravelle
hope it behaves for you, a mate went oulton today, very wet lol. not sure what tomorrows ment to bring

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
hope it behaves for you, a mate went oulton today, very wet lol. not sure what tomorrows ment to bring

Accuweather doesn’t look too bad so I’m only taking the Dunlops.

Clio 182
What’s up with it?
Funny thing is I keep debating going for a big power hike as I’ve spent all the money on handling mods.....but I’ve done 20 plus trackdays with no mechanical failures and all the funky bigger power cars always seem to have problems!
Hope it’s an easy fix and you get back out there ??

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Cats fucked and the manifold join has come apart.

Done 4 laps.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Well......

Today wasn’t a total waste of time.

60 laps done. Half a tank used. My two mates got a drive of it too.

Issue with it was the rear exhaust hanger breaking, the movement then causing the cat to manifold joint to open and bugger the gasket ring.

Cable ties and some exhaust paste got us back out after an hour of down time.

How did I get on..... honestly, I didn’t enjoy it. Pace wise it was ok, but I didn’t have fun.

I’m sure it’s a pretty sorted Clio but there was little joy to be had, I wasn’t excited to take it back out.
I ended the day enviously watching the guys sliding around in MX-5’s et al having loads of fun. Even a guy in a C2 Endurance racer with 68bhp seemed to be getting more from it that me.

The Clio was always going to be a bit of a risk, I was thinking the charger and AST’s would make it exciting enough to keep me going back. Sadly it doesn’t seem to!

My friends enjoyed driving it, which is good as its a good car to learn in.

I had the most fun of the day on the sighting laps in the Rangie!

2CC8A84D-1244-4990-9C10-A77FA5D5E0BE.jpeg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Going from a kit car with a 10k engine to a Clio was never going to end well.
That kit car wasn’t fun though, just scary...

My first kit car was a laugh though with only 150bhp.

I think I’m a RWD boy though, FWD just seems a bit blunted.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah maybe it needs some tweaking to get it to your liking? As for reliability it's hardly moved for the last few years right? A bit of a shakedown is probably all it needs to loosen it up.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Looks like a cracking car. Shame your shakedown was mixed. Whats your plans now?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
60 laps isn’t a bad effort and it’s the first time on track for sometime so was always the potential for some issues. If all you had was an exhaust issue I’d say the car did ok to be fair!