ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

B2 and hand held lasers

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

My old man asked me to sort him out with a decent detector after he got done a while back!

thing is this B2 isnt picking up mobile lasers/radars!

he went through 2 yesterday and fuk all! hes not happy to say the least! whats the point in having a £300+ gadget in the car if it dont work properly!

any ideas why its not picking them up???

Valver

Mine was doing that and I found that the laser detector bit had come unplugged, check the connection

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

I went past a plod on the motorway who had a gun pointing at me - and mine never went off......2miles down the road he pulled the a car behind me.

But im off over to the motorway traffic cops depo on friday to ask if then can test it with there gun for me.... ;)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

dont see the point in forking out that sort of money for one if its doesnt work 100%!!

dissapointed!

(ill check the connection is in right though)

was he speeding at the time? if not it wont go off, and if youve got it on default and your doing under 80 on the motorway it wont warn you

the cop actually has to be firing the gun at u for it to go off. Basically, if it gives u a warning for one of the speed guns, youve been caught!

so basially, it only warns when you have actually been targeted/shot by the cop!

Dan.

They arnt allowed to fire laser at you unless they think you are breaking the limit.. so, if he aint.. they shouldnt fire it.

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine works fine. It saved me a few weeks back, even though the plod made up the speed he claimed I was doing!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

he saod only time its ever warned for lazer is when he was beeping some asshole that pulled out on him lol...!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

hang on just thought, the B2 only knows the speed limit when a fixed camera is there!

so if hes on a normal road thats a 30 zone how does the B2 know if hes speeding or not if it doesnt know what limit the road is?

Nissan R35 GT-R

The B2 will not alert you about the handheld guns unless you are doing over the laser speed-limit.

By default I think its set to 35mph and 80mph (motorway).

I have set mine down to 30mph and 70mph. I want to know about it even if Im under the speed limit.

Have never gone through one though!

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3

it alerts you no matter what speed you are doing to a laser, at least mine does ad ive tested it by activating it myself using irda on my phone or a remote etc, even while stationary it went off

Ford Fiesta

fixx, does infra red set yours off? a B2? i was told by blackspot it wont its a different frequency altogether. I tried it on mine again didnt work.

Going to try to test it at work with laser gun to get definate answer.

i have a road angel 1 and it has never fail to pick up a mobile laser trap as long as the laser bit is fitted where it can see all of the road in front of you you shouldnt have a problem.....

[Edited by craigs.cup on 29 September 2004 at 3:14pm]

Ford Fiesta

the laser sesnor should be mounted as low as poss in the centre of the windscreen but high enough to get a clear view over the wipers.

Some b2 installations ive seen have the laser sensor high near the rear view mirror, this might be the reason why some arnt getting alerts.

Leon TDI

Quote: Originally posted by FiXX on 29 September 2004it alerts you no matter what speed you are doing to a laser, at least mine does and ive tested it by activating it myself using irda on my phone or a remote etc, even while stationary it went off

As i discussed in this http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=112238&PagePosition=7thread my B2 failed to go off when i passed a mobile van.
Although im fairly confident i was shielded by lorries and the two cars in front of me. (1 week later and ive not recieved anything in the post yet)

I have just checked my B2 (whilst stationary in my garage) with a hand held laser pointer and three different remotes and it didnt trigger an alert.

FiXX, what setting do you have on your B2?
Looking through the menus, you can switch the radar/laser detection off, so maybe peeps should double check that setting.

Id like to be able to verify the laser detector is working, as ive lost a bit of confidence with the B2 recently. If i do get a ticket from that mobile van the B2 will be ripped out and and the Road Angel put in its place.

Will it really matter where the module is positioned?
I know the windscreen is tinted to reflect UV light, but lasers will be on a different wavelength, and therefore unaffected?

Is there any way i can check the laser module?

Ford Fiesta

yes it helps to place it low down on in centre of the screen.

Only way to test is with a laser gun, nothing more.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3

yep just tried it agian to make sure with my p900 and k700i and infra-red from both sets it off and it gives a high pitched beep for a few seconds and flashes up LASER on screen.

As has been said already, mounting the laser detector up by the mirror isnt a very good idea. If a detector is going to give you any advance warning at all before youve been painted, it needs to detect the scatter and not the beam itself. Even if you get done by a laser, it might not even beep up near the mirror as the "target" when you are aiming the gun is usually the front number plate and the scatter from the beam is minimal and shouldnt be all the detectable from the top of the screen.

Trophy Turbo :)

i was told by oragin to mound it just below the rear view mirror, and that it would not beep unless the Laser was pointed at My car, same with the mobile vans they dont always look at every car

Im happy with it but not 100%

Ford Fiesta

Tried to get the laser sensor to go off using my mobile infra red as you say your b2 does fiXX, but it def dont work with the road angel 2.