ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Awesome orange peel removing guide

1.2 Dynamique billabong
found this on another site and i was so impressed by the before/after results i thought i would post it on here

before
orangepeelreflection1sd3.jpg

after
endresusltreflectionpi2.jpg

thread found here
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-...284-how-remove-orange-peel-lots-pictures.html

credit: cheekyalex from migweb.co.uk

R26
Great guide, would take some time to get right though as he mentions and not sand right through the paint.

I seen a great thread on DW too about this and the results on a full car are outstanding!

Storm Grey 200
Right I'm going to go give it a bash on a spoiler that has been kicking around in my shed for months. Cheaper than a respray... I will document with pics of great success. Hopefully

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
As said above be bloody carefull if you go through your fecked. Cars from factory dont leave with a lot on them. Plus even with the polishing afterwards your likely to go through on the edges.

Storm Grey 200
Its going really well :D Although the painter did a fecking awful job on this spoiler he must have stuck on a fair amount of clear coat, as I have taken a fair bit off. I shall do a thread later on. Just polishing up the top :cool:

Clio 172 RS2
Depends on how thick the paint is...

@JCC depends also IF you want to 'colorsand' more or want to polish more.

Not a 320d
I wouldnt without a thickness guage if your doing the full car. And no, im not being a petty ***** like a lot of the people on detailing world seem to be, they expect people to use a thickness guage when machine polishing even !

Got to think about the paint edges, and you may even find bumpers very thin, youd be suprised !!

Chimp could do it though.

Bumder With A Buffer
Of cOurse you should use a depth gauge when machine polishing. You never know how many times the car has been done before and could easily strike through.

You can't just assume that because 1 car has say 100 microns out of the factory you can polish it 50 times say, another car could come out and be 70 microns and you go through after 30 times.

Megane 225
I wouldn't attempt it unless you know what you're doing! You def need a ptg for machine polishing! Also use a da for the wet sanding. I used 1200, 1500, 2000 and then finally 3000 all by da, then machine polished with Menz and finished with Onyx

IMG_6087.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not a thing to take on lightly, the thread on dw would have been better with a better colour of car but it still looked like glass.

Not a 320d
Of cOurse you should use a depth gauge when machine polishing. You never know how many times the car has been done before and could easily strike through.

You can't just assume that because 1 car has say 100 microns out of the factory you can polish it 50 times say, another car could come out and be 70 microns and you go through after 30 times.

I guess its wise and you have a valid point. I might invest in one, but seeing as i only do cars which have had 1 owner and i know havent been done before i dont see the big deal. Even heavy compounding doesnt remove that many microns. Im tempted to get a 2nd hand PTG from DW. But its £155 a pop :(

Im doing mine soon...watch this space for a thread about me needing to get it resprayed ;)

Tsk :cool:

1.2 Dynamique billabong
after lacquer, the paint and the laquer basically never go on perfectly smooth and create a texture, this texture cause the light to be diffused giving you a poor shine / nasty reflections. by sanding you remove the any high points making the top surface of the laquer completely flat, (the depth may vary across the surfaces as it fill in dips in the paint texture, but the top is flat a bit like filler when you have sanded it back). this then creates a mirror / high gloss surface where the light is reflected straight back rather than being scattered all over the place

Bumder With A Buffer
Il do a quick effort with my cup spoiler on Sunday...Il show how that turns out :) (its a crap paint match anyways so im not fussed if it goes wrong!)

Clio dynamique 1.6 16v
just tried it.. my handle needs respraying.. lol
I dont get how to do it. Do you have to rub the G3 in really lightly and for a long time?

1.2 Dynamique billabong
you rub it down first with wet/ dry paper 1500 grit (or so) using water and a bit of soap in it, then you use the cutting compound (which works best with a machine polisher) to remove the sanding marks and bring out the shine, then finally apply polish to make it extra shiney