ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Avon tyres? good or not?

172 cup
I am able to get hold of Avon ZZ3's at factory price, yet i haven't seen any one on here mention them, does anyone have a set fitted or know of any being used and whether you would rate them? if not what would you suggest for a 172 cup?

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My Dads got some on his Saab Aero.

I got them cheap from next door and so far (He's only had them about 300 miles) he says they're no different to his £120 Conti's!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They must be cheap as we have em at work on the vans..............

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Had them on my Mini when I got rid of my runflats. Seemed pretty good but compared to runflats, what isnt.

White clique
All i remember about these were when i asked some chav tyre fitter with an oily moustache what Avons are like, and his reply was "well put it this way.... i have a cossie... and with the Avon on i can have 'er sideways"

So make your own judgements as to whether thats good news or not!

G

Gregor11

we sell avons at work, they are a good all round midrange tyre!!

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Had them on the front of my clio when i bought it, but when i needed to get them changed ProTyre, ATS and kwikfit all asked me why i had them fitted as they are crap (according to them) even though each of those places stocked the tyres themselves, the mechanic said to me he has never heard anything good from Avon tyres. Mine had really uneven wear in them (due to the tracking being out) and also had flatspots not sure about this.

172 cup
Thankyou for the replies, by the sounds of things its not worth getting them, any suggestions what would be a good tyre to go for?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I got ZZ3s on the fronts of my 182...should have held out for the couple of days it would have taken to get the Contis in. They're not bad tyres, but in the wet I have less confidence on those than my old Contis which were just under 2mm tread depth!!!!

Good price, better than budgets, but not my cup of tea if I'm honest...wouldn't get them again, but will do for time being. :)

Vw caddy tdi
Grippy when warmed up but prob only get 9months of of fronts compared to pe2s 18months! Depends on how cheap but mitchelins last x2.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My Avon's have worn out strangely. They seem to have random flatspots on the inside rear. Tyres now look like a 50p. My freind had these and they did the same so i personally wouldnt recommend them. But everyones experience will be different.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I found them really good when i had them on the bmw, lots of grip in the dry. Better than falken 452's

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
on a meg 225 they are very good in wet and dry, but we've also seen random flat spotting. Looks like small sections have peeled off. I wouldn't buy them personally

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
ZZ3's are a pretty decent tyre, dad's got them on his Fabia VRS and they go well.