ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AV Receiver

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Proper noob with all this. Basically have a Samsung Blueray player and when i bought it, it came with 5.1 surround speakers. (one of them one box cinema systems) Now, i'm looking for some nice (ish) floor stand speakers to go next to the TV . I presume my all in Samsung wont be good enough to supply these?......................

So, basically I have a £500 budget max to get an AV receiver and two floor speaker to start me off. Was thinking something like these?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr313/onky-txsr313

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/kef/iq50/kef-iq50-blk

Any thoughts help would be appreciated

:)

987 Boxster S
Looks good for the price but you may need a more powerful receiver to get the most out of those speakers.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Fair play. Gonna nip down to the local RS for a gander tomorrow morning. I wont be going into it in a big way, but want something better looking than the current set up i have, with them all being book shelf type they look a bit naff imo. I'm thinking (hoping) £500 would get me a reasonable amp and speakers?!!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I would spend a bit more on the amp personally. I went for the Onkyo TX-NR515. It's now a ridiculous bargain, superb sound quality that I think is unbeatable at current prices. It's also exceptionally well spec'd.

Z4
If you're just going to be running some floorstanders I'd get a decent stereo amp, it will sound better and you'll be saving money.
If you plan on going surround sound (5.1/7.1/9.1) you'll want a receiver. The denon linked above is a cracking deal!

Go in store and try them out, that's what I'm planning on doing. I just can't decide between a stereo amp or receiver as I don't want to sacrifice sound quality for features...

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I've got the Marantz 1602.

It's awesome and much more compact than most other av amps.

Here's a pic.

epa3anym.jpg

Has internet radio, AirPlay (wireless iphone connectivity) etc.

It's been superseded by a new version now.

Z4
I've got the Marantz 1602.

It's awesome and much more compact than most other av amps.

Here's a pic.

epa3anym.jpg

Has internet radio, AirPlay (wireless iphone connectivity) etc.

It's been superseded by a new version now.

Does it sound good though? Tbh I don't care for all the features, most of that is for marketing, does it sound much better for music than an all in one box system?

2014 Focus Titanium
Does it sound good though? Tbh I don't care for all the features, most of that is for marketing, does it sound much better for music than an all in one box system?

Without even looking at the specs I can tell you that will completely trounce any one-box system.

Last edited:
  2014 Focus Titanium
My brother-in-law has just bought a Sonos system which are great, but even though he's spent about £700 on it, it still doesn't sound as good as my Denon AVR1912 Wharfedale Fronts and Powercube 10 Sub.

If I was in the market now I'd get the Denon 2113 without blinking.

Z4
Without even looking at the specs I can tell you that will completely trounce any one-box system.

Hope so! I've always found the all in one systems awful, im no audiophile but I can appreciate good sounds. I need to test out the av receivers as some slate them for music but rate them for movies compared with stereo amps, I guess this could just be those with an acute ear, the type of person that bashes one out to motzarts requiem while fine tuning the treble eq on a daily basis!

A trip to RS is in order. I won't be needing an amp for a few months yet as I don't have my house to put it in lol, tempted with the denon av receiver as its a good deal but I know how quickly these things are outdated! Decisions

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Hope so! I've always found the all in one systems awful, im no audiophile but I can appreciate good sounds. I need to test out the av receivers as some slate them for music but rate them for movies compared with stereo amps, I guess this could just be those with an acute ear, the type of person that bashes one out to motzarts requiem while fine tuning the treble eq on a daily basis!

A trip to RS is in order. I won't be needing an amp for a few months yet as I don't have my house to put it in lol, tempted with the denon av receiver as its a good deal but I know how quickly these things are outdated! Decisions

That's because your spreading the cost over 7 amps rather than 2 so you would need to spend more on an AV amp to get the same stereo sound of a cheaper stereo amp... With an all in one then the cost is also spread on the DVD player and speakers so tend to be a lot worse still...
With what the Denon has then it should be a while before it becomes outdated.

2014 Focus Titanium

To be fair I have the 1912 and I don't feel like mine is outdated at all. Good sound is good sound at the end of the day, plus mine still does Airplay/DLNA, internet radio, Phone App Remote, Web Control, etc. The biggest thing for me is the sound quality over my old Onkyo TX-SR308, especially no I have the fronts bi-amped.

The only thing that makes me want to buy the 2113 is the fact that Denon haven't updated their remote app to include xx12 receivers, yet the iOS app does. Really annoys me! There are other apps available which I use but the official app is so much prettier :(

BG 182
Damn this thread! Just clicked the richer sounds link and have put a deposit on a denon avr 2113! Pick it up in a week or so.
I was gonna get a 1910 or 1911 off av forums but the 2113 is very good value at that price

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
hmm tempted upgrade my old onkyo 505 to the denon mentioned above. I personally prefer the look of the onkyos, but they lack airplay which I think would be handy, maybe

Fiesta ST3
Damn this thread! Just clicked the richer sounds link and have put a deposit on a denon avr 2113! Pick it up in a week or so.
I was gonna get a 1910 or 1911 off av forums but the 2113 is very good value at that price

hmm tempted upgrade my old onkyo 505 to the denon mentioned above. I personally prefer the look of the onkyos, but they lack airplay which I think would be handy, maybe

tell me about it i have a ageing onkyo tx-sr605 and i am seriously tempted with the denon simply for the air play function

Z4
Went to RS today to test out the denon amp but they're shut 2h early as its NYE, FU NYE!
Hopefully this stays on offer until next weekend as I may buy

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Went to RS today to test out the denon amp but they're shut 2h early as its NYE, FU NYE!
Hopefully this stays on offer until next weekend as I may buy

Drop them an email mate.

Chances are it will stay on offer, but if not, they'll see the email and probably do it for you.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Yes it's awesome, I've got it paired up with a a set of Mordaunt Short 1XR speakers and BK sub.

Marantz kit is very good.

I think I paid between £400 and £500 for the amp.

Being able to stream music wirelessly (AirPlay) from your iPhone or iPad anywhere in the house isn't a gimmick IMO. Same could be said for Internet Radio if you enjoy listening to bespoke stations.

BG 182
Can anyone tell me, when manufacturers give the measurements for amp, do they include the feet in the size they state? the denon 2113 is 167mm but ive only got 170mm in my cabinet!!! so hoping that includes the feet

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well got it sorted. As said I'm not a purest and a complete noob with it all, but we have to start somewhere. So in the end I opted for a Pioneer VSX 527 mated together with some Cambridge Audio S70's. Impressed for the money tbh, and came in at a smidge under £400 which i was happy with. It has airplay and a few other bits (not yet set up) Only issue I have is that I cant get my stupid BT vision box to auto switch the unit on/over like I can with my blu-ray unit. I'm sure it'll be an issue with the BTV box though, they are pony.

So, any recommendations with subs?? again, nothing too fancy, but something worth while? What do i need to be looking at regarding specs etc? Are they just driven off the AV unit, or do they need any other connections (mains etc)

Cheers

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Well got it sorted. As said I'm not a purest and a complete noob with it all, but we have to start somewhere. So in the end I opted for a Pioneer VSX 527 mated together with some Cambridge Audio S70's. Impressed for the money tbh, and came in at a smidge under £400 which i was happy with. It has airplay and a few other bits (not yet set up) Only issue I have is that I cant get my stupid BT vision box to auto switch the unit on/over like I can with my blu-ray unit. I'm sure it'll be an issue with the BTV box though, they are pony.

So, any recommendations with subs?? again, nothing too fancy, but something worth while? What do i need to be looking at regarding specs etc? Are they just driven off the AV unit, or do they need any other connections (mains etc)

Cheers

BK sub without a doubt, I've got the Gemini II (smallest offering) and its epic.

http://www.bkelec.com/

2014 Focus Titanium
BK sub without a doubt, I've got the Gemini II (smallest offering) and its epic.

http://www.bkelec.com/

As Al G says BK seem to be the ones that everyone buys under £600-700 or so. I personally have a £300 Wharfedale Powercube SPC 10 which is a 150w 10" down-firing sub, I like the sub but I really have no experiences of anything better such as BK, only worse ones like the Tannoy or Onkyo £100 jobbies which mine is quite a bit better than.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Can anyone tell me, when manufacturers give the measurements for amp, do they include the feet in the size they state? the denon 2113 is 167mm but ive only got 170mm in my cabinet!!! so hoping that includes the feet

I'd not put that in there either way .. they need room to breathe - amplifiers get WARM !! Mine's only got about an inch at the top, but open to the back and a few inches either side.

2014 Focus Titanium
I'd not put that in there either way .. they need room to breathe - amplifiers get WARM !! Mine's only got about an inch at the top, but open to the back and a few inches either side.

Whilst I used to agree with this I've found that with my AVR1912 its not been too much of a problem. I had to take the feet off mine to fit it in my cabinet, but about 2 inches from the front the cabinet it opens out on the inside so above the grills there is about 2cm gap. So although I agree, it might be worth taking the feet off which would give you about 1.5-2cm more room at the top.

I should also mention mine gets played pretty darn loud too, it's never over heated... Touch wood!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Surely feet are needed to aid airflow for cooling...

If you're spending good money on an amp, speakers etc then £50 on a decent tv/av stand is worth it IMO.

Denon or onkyo ..

Can't really tell which is better bar the fact Denon has AirPlay ..

Onkyo's iPhone (and I think Android) app allows you to stream music to the amp if the amp is connected to your home network. I'm not convinced by the sound quality of it but I've never heard airplay so can't make a comparison on that. I would say quality is the same as my Belkin Bluetooth hi-fi adapter.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Whilst I used to agree with this I've found that with my AVR1912 its not been too much of a problem. I had to take the feet off mine to fit it in my cabinet, but about 2 inches from the front the cabinet it opens out on the inside so above the grills there is about 2cm gap. So although I agree, it might be worth taking the feet off which would give you about 1.5-2cm more room at the top.

mm, not cm !!

Three millimetres... I presume he's talking about height ?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

It will be 167mm with the feet.

Take them off and you'll have plenty of room. Having a 1cm gap above isn't bad. After all it's no worse than sticking another piece of AV on top of it such as a DVD player!

2014 Focus Titanium
mm, not cm !!

Three millimetres... I presume he's talking about height ?

Yeah that's why I said take the feet off (which are about 1.5cm tall from memory) then add that to the 3mm he already has.

It's not ideal but it's a work around and it's worked for me.