ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AV Home Design

Inferno 182 CUP
I know alot of you are savvy so ..

Just bought a new house so excuse the decor its about to undergo renovation..

Builders start on March 1st.. BUT the most important job is my TV. Sod the kitchen and bathroom!

Plan is to mount on wall in alcove on left with this ..

http://bit.ly/RAwFZ1

Then chase a line in the wall and have some unit the length of the entire alcove .. But cant decise in a design.

Any ideas? .. Needs to home a TiVo, Superhub, Mac mini, blu ray, avr reciever.

Also how the f**k do i put wires in the wall? Bury a drain pipe, skim it and fit these?

http://bit.ly/123o2IG

8yry7enu.jpg

Bus w**ker
Also how the f**k do i put wires in the wall? Bury a drain pipe, skim it and fit these?

Get a big hammer. Smash the s**t out of the wall. Chuck random cables in to the newly formed hole. Fill with Polyfilla. Jobs a goodun.

You may wanna post this in Tech Chat for actual info...

A4 Avant & A3
I've recently wall mounted my tv & chased the cables in, i chased the wall out & fixed that plastic trunking to house the cables, so i can take them out/ add more if needed.
Then had it skimmed over.
Just make sure the trunking is a few mms below the depth of the plaster... otherwise you'll end up with the thinnest bit of skim over the top. (i should have done mine deeper now to be on the safe side, but it's fine so far)
As mentioned, check out AV forums, i spent ages on there looking for cabinet ideas.
I went with the ikea Besta wall unit i think they were, i got 3 fixed to the wall, floating a few inches off the floor. Which looks nice, however with kids around i'm always telling them not to lean on it/play with there toys on it!! so now kind of wishing i'd put the legs on instead.

Clio 182, BMW 645
Be careful when buy a bracket like that! A mate of mine went and got a cheap one like that off ebay for his 50" LED. When he extends it out the arm twists and flex's. Not the kind of quality I would want my £900 tv bolted too!

DB.

BMW 440i
Love these types of threads when done well. Keep it updated!

I'll be honest though, not a fan of wall mounts, always leaves the TV being too high!

A4 Avant & A3
^^ i'm with you on that, a few mates have them above their fireplace.... not nice especially as they're in quite small rooms too!
Mine however, i've wall mounted a unit so the top is about as high as an average tv cabinet/stand, then put the tv a couple of inches above so it's the same height as it was when on the cabinet, just now it's floating above to get that 'modern' look with some tall thin wall mounted speakers either side also with wires in the wall.
I supppose it is quite a bit of work just to hide a little bit of cable, but it looks so much neater & the boss is happy so i'm happy!
I also thought it'd be further away so the kids won't touch it.. didn't work!

DB.

BMW 440i
Low TV stands > all other options IMO. Houses Sky boxes/Consoles, Wires etc perfectly.

Inferno 182 CUP
Young child slapping the screen and a dog who wants to join in when i watch football means it needs to be wall mounted and out of there reach lol

Also needs to be on an adjustable mount so those sitting on the wall beside the other alcove can see it if i pull it out a smidge!

Inferno 182 CUP
Yeah but it means the one above it needs to aswell as in the loft and its £££.

Im about to spend £13K on renovation so cant stretch it any more!

Could put an RSJ in but thats still £6-700

Corsa Van. Meh.
What about building a stud wall from the chimney across to the outer wall? Have some shelves for all the bits and pieces.

I'm just finishing decorating ours (slightly different to yours).

e9ury5us.jpg

gutatyhu.jpg

Corsa Van. Meh.
How do you make those "fake walls"?

Just build stud work off existing wall. Fix tv bracket to wall. Mdf to cover with overhang for led strip light. Pretty easy TBH. Just a pants job filling all the screw holes.

DB.

BMW 440i
42". Unsure if it looks too small but not in a position to buy new yet.

Wow, I thought it was like a 32" in comparison to the wall! Any day pics of that?

I've been eyeing up new TV's' at the moment, as still have a sh*tty old 32". Can't decide between a 47" @ £650, or 55" at £1000.

DB.

BMW 440i
Lol, I think regardless of what you buy, you want bigger.

I'm going for the 55", as I know I'll only regret it if not! lol

Corsa Van. Meh.
I feel all inadequate with my 42" now!!!

I'll post some more pics up tonight. Only got it decorated in primer at mo until i have the time to so whole room but I'm pretty happy.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just build stud work off existing wall. Fix tv bracket to wall. Mdf to cover with overhang for led strip light. Pretty easy TBH. Just a pants job filling all the screw holes.

sorry I need it in thicker terms than that lol.

i thought you made a fake wall then hung it up? Ha

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't like TV's on the wall.

Anyway, good luck :)

Be good to see some pictures of the progress.

2014 Focus Titanium
TV's on the wall are fine, as long as they are only 18-24" or so off the ground, any higher and they look horrendous. Unless you watch TV standing up of course.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Wow, I thought it was like a 32" in comparison to the wall! Any day pics of that?

I've been eyeing up new TV's' at the moment, as still have a sh*tty old 32". Can't decide between a 47" @ £650, or 55" at £1000.

Not sure of the quality but I just saw a 50" Panasonic in tescos for ~£450

BMW E46 330i Touring
I did the whole TV-on-wall thing for years and never managed to make it look like I wanted to. TV's above fireplaces are always too high...

It sits on a slick gloss white Ikea stand now, with all AV equipment tucked away, and looks much better.

Where did you get your led lights from, I quite fancy doing this in my living room

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Lol, I think regardless of what you buy, you want bigger.

I'm going for the 55", as I know I'll only regret it if not! lol

I got a 55" panny VT50... got talked down from the 65" by various friends.

I regret not getting the 65 now :(