ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auxiliary Belt Idler Bearing Shagged

Clio 182
Evening CS,

Its become pretty apparent that the upper auxiliary belt idler pulley's bearing has retired itself from service, and is consequently sounding horrid. Its a K4J 1.4 16v engine.

K4J.jpg

Could anyone possibly shed some light with regards to a part number, recognised description, or somewhere I can get hold of the pulley & bearing assembly or the bearing itself as I have trawled the net to no avail, ill call ECP first thing in the morning see if they can do anything.

Thanks all,

Pete

Clio 182
yeah turns out there's what looks like a pretty big dealership not far from here, ill give them a ding in the morning, better put my mad luck hat on for trying to get the parts tomorrow

Taa Stevoh

For an auxbelt kit for one with air con I have the aux kit number of 7701476475 and it was £40 at the time. No idea if that number still works or if that helps you at all.

Clio 182
nice one for that thanks, ill see where i can get with that P/No. tomorrow, I did actually have the whole kit replaced about 15K miles ago by a reputable mech as I had zero time to do it done before i went to spain in the car, I stressed to him that I needed the 'kit' fitted, and i could see that he has disturbed this pulley by the tool marks on the bolt, it shouldn't have failed by now for sure though, as the car is looked after,

Thanks Beef

Clio 182
After an hour and a half of phone calls to 9 places, you can only get the whole assembly, P/No. 8200641468 and its about £100! and nowhere can get it until monday... Ass.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What a load of rubbish! Who ever is telling you that is full of shite as I've just purchased another x5 "Aux. Service Kits" as pictured below to go in to my stock this weekend from my local Renault dept and they currently retail at £41.34 + vat each for the K4M/K4J with A/C! The part number above, 8200641468, is I believe for the tensioner unit only which retails at around £82 + vat which is the expensive way to do it!

As fate would have it I happen to have an old "service kit" next to my desk as I changed it yesterday for a customer on their Scenic 1.6 16v and it's about to find its way in to the bin so here it is... look familiar?

View attachment 50498

Part No: 7701 477 527

I can believe that some smaller dealerships may have to order them in which may take a day unless its VOR'd but a decent dealership will usually have them on shelf in the dozens as its a common, current service part for the Clio II, Clio III, Scenic II and even some Laguna II vehicles.

Mick

Clio 182
Hi Mick thanks for your reply.

This is what I found that when asking around that the tensioner alone was twice the price of the full kit that contained the same part! I had the Aux Belt kit fitted by a guy about 15K miles ago as I didnt have time to do it myself before going away, and the belt, lower idler and tensioner where all replaced. Cheers for the photo above your right that is the tensioner, and its opposed idler which as far as I can hear through a screwdriver are fine. The bearing / pulley & bearing I need for my engine isn't covered by the Aux Belt kits as the pulley shown in my first photo is actually there to serve as an idler when there isn't a hydraulic power steering pump fitted, as mine is electric on the steering column (I believe?)

Amongst all the others I spoke to both GSF and ECP in their Bristol and Exeter branches have never sold one of the parts im after, they could all order it but I really needed it this weekend which I knew was a push!

In the end I spoke to a great bloke at Wanapart and he went out of his way to try and sort me out and have ended up with it arriving around tuesday for £80 delivered, so im happy.

Cheers again for replying,

Pete

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Ahh right, I'm with you now - I thought they were telling you that you couldn't buy the Aux Belt Service kit... appologies, my bad.

That's a proper pain in the arse then - especially as its nothing more than a mock power steering jockey wheel and now I can't believe how much they want for it retail! As long as you're sorted then all's well but if you could've got me ID/OD dimensions and supply the ref numbers from the outer race I could proberbly source a replacement bearing unit for you from SKF or NSK direct for a fraction of the price.

Mick

Clio 182
yeahhh I had thought its a shame to have to get the whole assembly when its just the bearing thats gone, thankyou very much for your offer. Pressing a new bearing in wouldnt be bad, my neighbours workshop has got a press but getting the old one out would be a mission to get out as there is nothing to hold against and its a straight though hole so Id probably knacker the pulley in the process!

What do you reckon the likelyhood of the bearing actually seizing and throwing the belt is? I keep pranging that its gonna fail, can live with noise until next weekend then I can swap the new assy in. Ive got to drive circa 300 motorway miles plus 60 miles a day everyday till the weekend!

Thanks Mick

Pete

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Chances of seizing are low but if its worn/dry it could collapse as its under tension... the end result will be the same - Potential to do timing damage!

Clio 182
I have survived the week and have returned to find my part nyaahhh,

IMG00762-20110128-2038.jpg

Will be fitting this in the morning, getting sick and worried with the sound now

Clio 182
Hello again CS, if i could ask for a quick response id be very grateful, the tensioner bearing spins very freely but makes a lot of noise, is this usual? also the belt has a flat spot on the unribbed side that is about 3.5" long and perfectly square so id looks as if a pulley has stalled?

Im off to ECP in a min for a full kit if someone could give me some feedback asap ill be very grateful,

Cheers

Pete

Clio 182
Thanks for your reply Danny,

Just got back from Renault with a new kit and yeah you're right the new bearing is silent and a lot 'stiffer', the old one has definitely had it,

Taa

Clio 182
Got the new upper idler and aux belt kit fitted today, so glad thats sorted.

IMG00769-20110129-1231.jpg

Aux belt kit

IMG00763-20110129-1038.jpg

Wheel and arch liner removed to get at the pulley area

IMG00765-20110129-1101.jpg

IMG00767-20110129-1113.jpg

Old tensioner relieved by turning it clockwise with a 13mm ring spanner then locking it "open" with a 6mm Allen key

IMG00773-20110129-1517.jpg

Couldn't see any other way to get to the upper tensioner bracket bolt and idler without getting the bumper and RH headlight out, the Haynes manual only covers the removal / renewal of the belt.

IMG00774-20110129-1524.jpg

Removed the upper idler as id got a new one to fit

IMG00775-20110129-1543.jpg

Old tensioner removed, the bearing would spin on for a few seconds and hiss and crunch, the new bearing as mentioned above in the thread is quite 'stiff' and silent.. ha

IMG00779-20110129-1703.jpg

Idler removed, this was a pain, had to loosen the RH engine mounting and lift the engine by 3" or so to be able to get a spanner on properly and then actually get the bolt and the idler out as the shell is so close

IMG00780-20110129-1731.jpg

New idler fitted

IMG00783-20110129-1748.jpg

With the idler fitted the engine could be lowered back down and the four mount to shell bolts were degreased, wire bushed and the mount area cleaned of all penetrating fluid used to get them out. Then torqued to 62 Nm and then same procedure for the upper nut but torqued that to 44 Nm

IMG00788-20110129-1810.jpg

New tensioner fitted

IMG00789-20110129-1812.jpg

The upper idler comes with a bracket on the back which i didn't need as its already in place, and to swap these would mean taking off the fuel rail amongst other things to get some bolts out, as there was nothing wrong with the old bracket I left it and removed the pulley from the new assembly

IMG00791-20110129-1815.jpg

IMG00792-20110129-1820.jpg

Upper idler fitted

IMG00800-20110129-1842.jpg

New belt fitted, (tensioner locking pin not yet removed)

IMG00802-20110129-1843.jpg

Fresh new aux belt scene

IMG00796-20110129-1827.jpg

The old belt had been damaged where i think the tensioner and momentarily seized and the belt slipped over it, the flat is about 3" long and is deep enough to feel with finger tips

On another note I didn't even know they still made these,

IMG00770-20110129-1245.jpg

saw it on the parts buying trip

Cheers

Pete