ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt removal technique?

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I did a bit of search on this. Some say its a headlight and bumper off job, while others say 5min with a 15mm combi? Ive got to replace the bottom pulley as its whining like a mal-nourished dog. Ive ordered the pulley, I just need someone to tell me the easiest way to slip the belt off or slacken it at least, so i can swap the tensioner.

Its a Ph1 172

Many thanks!

Tom

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Replace the belt, you don't know what damage you could cause when taking it off, and for £13 it's not breaking the bank :)

Alex at Carlton Garage told me it's a 30 min job.

TDI tyre shreader
If your bottom pulley is making noises surely its related to belt aswell, the old one could of been damaged.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Its the bearing within the pulley, it sounds like a skateboard bearing, its got wet and run dry. Im not changing the belt, as stubborn as that may seem!

just remember if it snaps it'll wrap itself around the bottom pully, jumping the cambelt and you'll need a new engine. for the sake of £13 its not reallt worth risking is it?

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
There won't be any damage to the belt, Its just bearing noise. I'm a little sceptical about the crank jogging mentioned but yes, if it needs changing I will but when I looked at it on monday it looked fine.

My bearing was changed without replacing/removing the belt* - Mike@Rentech did it in less than 15 minutes.

Whine has gone.

*Mainly because in 1 year it's on the third f**king belt!