ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt location.

Clio 182
Hi ,

My clio 182 is 5years old now with over 35,500 on the clock.
I have bought a cambelt kit and aux belt kit with a view to my cousin doin the work for me.
Trouble is he's away for a couple of weeks and i'm paranoid that the aux belt is going to snap any moment.:dapprove:

Where abouts is the aux belt? Can i get at the aux belt quite easily to do a visual inspection of some kind?
The engine doesn't sound noisy or whinning atm, but i'm paranoid it's gonna snap.

Please help....

Cheers
Rob

PH1 172 Sport
Its on the left hand side of the engine and you need to look for fraying and cracks in the rubber but it will be very hard to tell if its likely to snap or not. I would be more worried about the cambelt if its 5 years old TBH.

Does your cousin have the proper Renault locking tools for the cambelt change? As its not an easy job and is generally not one to do unless you really know what your doing

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wouldn't worry to much they don't get to dead on 5 years then snap, get it changed ASAP, but it wouldn't stop me driving it.

Clio 182
Ok, thanks guys i'll take a little look tonight.
Yes, my cousin does have the right locking tools to do the cambelt change thanks to the info on here:approve:

megane 225
bit of a mission to do tbh mate, good luck to your cousin (dont mean that in a nasty way)

Clio 182 CUP In Silver
jus dont hammer it everywhere and put unessacery stress on the belt. it could last 2 hours, 2 days, 2 years or forever, nobody knows.

They're meant to be changed every 3 years anyway, so it's a little overdue, so another few weeks prob wont matter. You're a few years late at worrying.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
They're meant to be changed every 3 years anyway, so it's a little overdue, so another few weeks prob wont matter. You're a few years late at worrying.

There not, it's 5 years.

3 years is a CS myth

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Scan from the Manual.

Scan-081010-0001a.jpg

and read this thread

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=364986

Birchdown
36K or 5 years....... Its just very rare a car is 5 years old and hasnt covered 36k!!

It is more regular that they are 5 yrs old and have not done 72K for cambelt!

you get me?

When daniel asked if you smoked weed i lol'd!!!
lemonnobby1
No dan i did say 5 yrs or 36k.
on the subject of icm i did it other other week and it said 36k or 5 yrs?
and all the new service secdules say 36k or 5 yrs.
RenaultSport Experts section

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/Question/14455/Category/28/community/experts/Default.aspx

The Renault programme states: accessory belt: every 36k or 5 yrs / Timing belt: 72k or 5yrs and with the accessory belt it includes the belt tensioner pulleys. So if its 5 years old both belts should be replaced.
Regards,

I'm pretty sure the manual for my 182 said 3 years!! My 172 said 5 years. And Renault actually told me they changed it from 5 to 3 years due to having belt failures. So it's now 3yrs/36k.

Personally, I wouldn't leave it 5 years just incase, for the sake of £100 or so.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm yet to see any evidance that it's anything other than 5 years or 36k.

I think the 3 years thing come from the fact they're usually done at about 3 years because most people have done 36k in that time.

172 cup & 182
Both my 172 and 182 handbooks say

For the F4R 2.0L . Cambelt 5 years or 72.000 miles.

Accessories belt+pulleys 36.000 miles or 5 years.