ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Automatic Headlight, flash/full beam

Clio Sport 182
Is it just me or isn't it a pain if you use automatic lights, when need to quickly flash somebody and a quick flick of the light stalk puts the full beam on!

So you have to quickly flick it on then off, unless you have turned the headlights on manually then flicking the lights does a normal flash.

A small gripe i know, but auto lights are a nice lazy feature, i just blind people when i flash them!

Hope the above makes sense?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I dont bother with auto lights TBH.. i know when I need the lights on and when I dont..

Unfortunatly it isnt much better though, as if you pull the stalk too far back it clicks on full beam aswell.. kinda like when you have auto lights on but without the click ;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I know what you mean about the auto lights I was blinding people for ages!! lol And you cant use the fogs in auto mode either, but after a while you get used to the flashing the lights and it becomes second nature

VRS
we hav had lots of fog lately which is a pain cos i hav to pull over to turn off me auto lights so i can put me foggys on

Tesla MP3 2021
i was quite anoying for me at first but now its easy just to flick it quick.....and im soooo use to not turning the lights off when i get out the car...i always leave them on in diferent cars..lol

Citroen DS3 DSport
I only just discovered that a proper quick flash of the lights was possible while investigating them in my car tonight :D I have also been rudely blinding people while trying to flash the lights at them. I'll get used to it though cause I like to use the auto mode, I'm lazy like that :D

Last edited:
  A well built VW
Binns said:
Gotta say I love the autolights and auto wipers, spot the lazy gits! huh :D

Agreed altho i keep turning the wipers off by mistake and cant remember how to turn them on so haveto refer to owners manual must put a wee note in car for future or drive it more frequently - love the electrochrome rear view mirror too hate getting blinded by cars behind me before (pet hate)

Citroen DS3 DSport
The Big Yin said:
love the electrochrome rear view mirror too hate getting blinded by cars behind me before (pet hate)

I don't have this on my 172 :( Used to have one in my megane and I loved it.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The other things I hate about the light switch are that when you're on high beam and you need to dip quickly:

(a) its too easy to grab the lever too far out and just twist the control knob at the end to some setting you don't want rather than dipping the lights, and

(b) the lights don't dip when you pull the lever, you have to release it again before they dip.

Whoever the miserable excuse for an engineer was at Renault who designed that light control he/she should be sacked. Along with whoever does testing to ensure what the engineers design is user-friendly before it gets into the final design. And along with whoever is supposed to find out what they've got wrong and fix it in the next model revision like the Japanese would.

al

ST on the way...
makavelli said:
we hav had lots of fog lately which is a pain cos i hav to pull over to turn off me auto lights so i can put me foggys on

If you turn the switch quickly it will go from auto mode to manual without turnin the lights off.

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio
makavelli said:

Why pull over? i don't understand, can't you just turn the lights on to manual whilst your driving? I often change mine from auto to manual whilst driving round town, so that i can flash others easily if needed.

KDF said:
I dont bother with auto lights TBH.. i know when I need the lights on and when I dont..

Yep, I really can't be arsed with things that are supposed to help but is reality are just a pain in the arse. If it's dark, turn that wee stalky thing to the left of the steering wheel - when it's daylight turn it back the other way - simple! ;)

But it's the auto wipers that really get my goat :mad:

Ph2 172
I'd never bothered with auto lights - but then somehow it managed to "turn them on" last week!! So thought i'd go with it for a bit - but you're right, flashing the full beam becomes a right PITA - think it's back to manual!!

As for Auto wipers, nice idea, but why the hell do you have to turn them off and on again if the engine has been stopped - surely that kind of defeats the point. Or is it just me!?!?!?