ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto electrican to cut down loom

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I want to get my loom cut down as I've stripped out most the comforts the car came with, I'm a bit of a fanny when it comes to stuff like this and even though taping it out the way is a cheaper option I still want it done.

Does anyone know where or anyone who can do this? I have no problems taking it out the car to send away. I'm based in the northeast so ideally somewhere local will be better.

Thanks

dan's cast offs.
Just de pin the plugs instead of cutting, easy job to do and simple to pop something back in if you make a mistake.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Its easy if you follow each wire - some branch from big soldered joints of multiple wires, some go straight to the fuseboard/uch, some have shared earths etc. Just be methodical. Airbag plug needs some wires leaving in to prevent airbag light coming on (assuming you have deactivated or used resistors for any removed airbags), see picture. It took me a few evenings to remove most of my redundant loom, label the plugs, cable tie the groups and branches before you remove the wrap as well.

IMG_9070.JPG

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Well basically I played wire roulette when I had the dash out a couple weeks ago and touch wood the car still starts. I cut the tweeters plugs, esp controller, airbag ecu, radio cables, heater cables back to the main branch of cables leaving just the OBD port and 12v plug.
So in theory Im thinking I just need to take off the tape off around the main branch and trace the cables back to there main source and re tape it? Seeing the loom without any tape scares the hell out me, that's my problem! I got rid of the airbag ecu a long time ago along with the ESP controller since then some black silicon has found its way behind my clocks so lights aren't an issue.