ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST Topmounts! FAO of Kam Racing or anyone that knows for that matter!

182 track, Mk7 ST
Basically I've just bought a set of AST topmounts and was just wondering if I've got everything I need to fit them to my car. I have looked into vaious other threads alot to try and answer this myself but to no real avail

Looking through others I've seen they've been fitted with a top hat that sits on top of the coil spring and I haven't got that. I've got a 182 on GAZ GHA's so can anyone advise if they'll fit straight on like this or if I need to buy other parts to make them fit. Here's a picture of what I've got:

a64d0018.jpg

I'd appreciate any help and advice.

Cheers,

Grant

DCI100
solid top mounts aint really worth it for road cars bud too harsh on the rest of the car body in my opinion

182 track, Mk7 ST
That didn't answer the question I asked but thanks anyway, the cars stiff enough anyway lol so it'll be fine!

172 Ph1
Looks like your missing the bearings in your picture
Take no notice of the large black cup at the bottom that off my spax coilovers

182 track, Mk7 ST
Thought as much, I've asked the guy I bought them off to see if he has them or if he knows where they've got to, otherwise looks like I'll be calling Kam Racing soon then to get what I actually need :/

172 Ph1
Listen I've been trying to look for spares for ages, I bought mine and I've never fitted them, had machining trouble, I sent them back to AST recorded delivery and I've never seen em again.
Kam Racing top service , AST absolute pants , they don't deal with end users.
So now I have an incomplete set of never fitted AST solid mounts.
RANT over , I bought a Pure Motorsport solid top mount kit and brace much better.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
That's exactly how I got my set from JamesT87 on here, ran them on my car with no problems at all, no banging etc. I wasnt aware of any other parts that were supplied with them from AST new?

182 track, Mk7 ST
Oh joy, looks like im in for a fun ride then if they don't appear! I have heard things like that about ast quite a bit really!

What part in your picture is the bearing? The part sitting just above the black cup? Guessing I can't use them with the GAZ top cups then (never had them off so don't know what they're like)?

Its looks like there are eating fitted into to the actual mount but I might be wrong, presume there should be other parts?

182 track, Mk7 ST
That's exactly how I got my set from JamesT87 on here, ran them on my car with no problems at all, no banging etc. I wasnt aware of any other parts that were supplied with them from AST new?

Hi Chris,

I think these were your old ones if I'm right in saying, I got these from a guy called Adam.

I've just noticed when looking around that others have got bottom cups on that locate in the spring to stop it moving around but not sure if that's just for the oem fit ones. Have you got any pictures of how you fitted them please and what coilovers were you using them with? Did they just sit on top of the spring?

182 track, Mk7 ST
Right I see, cheers for that. Here's what I've got:

a21c5875.jpg

This is all that the bottom part is, does the bearing fit into this then?

14328748.jpg

182 track, Mk7 ST
I did think about both of these points aswell but don't know if you can use the original top hat/ bearing. I haven't had the fronts off before so haven't a clue what it looks like up there.

172 Ph1
You know what P's me off is AST should supply instructions on specific fitments (OEM) , (Coil overs) etc
They produced the parts , it would save a lot of hassle.

Sorry about all this mate, I've sent you all the info I got from Chris regarding this and i was unsure what was right/wrong as i hear so many different stories about these Top Mounts!

182 track, Mk7 ST
You know what P's me off is AST should supply instructions on specific fitments (OEM) , (Coil overs) etc
They produced the parts , it would save a lot of hassle.

Completely agree on this one as there's no way of telling which ones fit which type of damper!

Sorry about all this mate, I've sent you all the info I got from Chris regarding this and i was unsure what was right/wrong as i hear so many different stories about these Top Mounts!

Hopefully I find out soon mate lol, where theres a will there's a way haha!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
You're missing the plastic bearing is all. The metal bush you have locates into the bottom of the spherical bearing, plastic bearing underneath then sit it on your shock top hat.

182 track, Mk7 ST
You're missing the plastic bearing is all. The metal bush you have locates into the bottom of the spherical bearing, plastic bearing underneath then sit it on your shock top hat.

Yeah I know the bush goes there so means I've just got to try and get hold of the bearings and it seems AST are one of the hardest and worst companies to deal with. I'll have to try and call Kam Racing tomo or call AST direct and see if I get an answer.

Cheers for that though, wasn't sure if I could use the tophat I've got and as you've said just buy the bearings.

182 track, Mk7 ST
Yeah I've just spoken to Jon/John at Kam Racing at he's ping to get back to me although he did mention I would need the tophat aswell as the bearings??? Apparently the bearing sits inside the tophat slightly which I didn't realise, fingers crossed lol!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
did you solved the problem mate?
I'd like to see a pic with the mounts assembled to the struts(if you have one). I also have gaz coilies but k-tec solid mounts and thinking of going to ast mounts in the future