ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST solid top mounts feedback

Clio Williams & 182
Well, today I fitted the AST solid top mounts to my AVO’s.

Everything went to plan with removal of the old setup. Jack car up, take off wheels, remove struts. Checking over the AVO’s to make sure they were fine I could see no major issues except for a split rubber piston cover, which I jury-rigged to be effective again, and very slight evidence of fluid loss on both pistons, nothing to worry about:

DSC00072.jpg

The problems started to occur as I started to build up the suspension with the new mounts. Check adjustable heights of both struts, refit the springs, place new AST top hats onto springs...my first problem:

DSC00076.jpg

I find I cannot get the top hats to sit on the spring correctly; the inner lip is too thick. I decided to put them on as best I could and hope the weight of the car would settle them in with use. You could possibly jam them on with tools but I didn’t want to try it at this stage. If they remain like this when I next inspect them then I may try this or contact AST myself.

Now, next time I fit these I will put the two anodised parts of the mount on the top of the suspension turret first and screw them down so they are secure and already in position. This way you save risking them not being in place correctly so the top mount ‘sleeve’ is not incorrectly positioned when you lower the car to the ground.
I fit the first built strut in the turret; here is a pic of the underside:

DSC00077.jpg

I then locate the top into the turret hole correctly and fit the top anodised part, bolting it down:

DSC00078.jpg

Please note the AST supplied washers are quite rough on one side, these will damage the anodised finish, so use the rounded off side face down to avoid this.

Another gripe is the securing nut design. It’s a 21 or 22mm nut, so you need a big socket, but the problem is there is very limited space as you are only left with the lip of the nut as you tighten it, meaning a socket will damage the anodised surface straight away. I used mole grips, but you have to be super careful not to damage the nice orange, and careful as I was I did scratch them a tiny bit :(

Ok, so suspension bolted in and stub axle bolts on, I do the other side. As above, rinse and repeat.

Wheels on.

Ok, so adjustment time. Initially I set mine with a little negative camber and some positive castor:

DSC00082.jpg

To adjust them you need the car jacked up to take the strain off the mounts. Slightly loosen the three small bolts and simply twist the top part of the mount, watch the wheel as you do this, you will see it move about with more castor and more or less camber, interesting to watch how they change the geometry so easily.

With my initial settings, I did my wheel nuts up and off I went on a quick test drive. With these settings you could feel the car behave differently, it’s not a vast change but the dead-ahead feel and self-centre on the steering wheel was a little odd, this is due to the altered castor. Cornering was better though and it felt firmer.

One other thing I noticed straight away with a lowered car is the wheels were scrubbing the inner arches a lot more. It seems to have dropped the car even lower by a tad, though I didn't want to go lower due to previous handling gripes, the car felt pretty darn good even this low, normally I'd have been having a lot harder time but the car actually felt better this way than slightly higher with the normal suspension mounts.

Heading home, I readjusted them. This time I set to max camber with zero castor. You can see the negative camber being dialled in as you twist, but it’s not as obvious as camber adjustment bolts. I also raised the ride height a tiny bit on the passenger side and forgot to do the driver side. Also, when I jacked the car up I think the top hat on the springs got knocked out of its rather imperfect seating position on the driver side spring.

Adjustment done, I went out again. It was getting late and dark now with very few cars on the road, so I could drive all over the place and not bother anyone. Once I got into my stride and started giving it a proper work out, the cars I did meet on any twisty sections (and who foolishly tried to keep up) soon experienced first hand the legend of the Williams. Destroyed isn't the word.

The cornering was MUCH better and the car felt more stable that that of the solid mounts and new adjustments. The main issue I was having now was the rattling noise from the driver’s side over road imperfections. I am pretty sure this is due the top hat for the spring not being in place properly, but despite that the car felt really good, a lot less understeer when getting on the power mid corner, felt like it was really digging into the corners even more that before!

Another issue I discovered when I took a look at the top securing nut was that due to the nature of the design, the securing nut fouls the inside of the inner anodised mount as there is a bit of flex from the rose jointed rubber bit allowing the nut to move on an axis as the strut moves, making contact with the mount. Leaves nice indentations. Have to keep my eye on that as it could loosen the nut.

Do they do what they say on the tin? Yes. The car feels better, firmer, and I have lost that slight wobbly feeling from the less secure standard top mounts mated to the ‘sitting too high’ AVO coilovers. I wanted to keep driving about like a loony but as this was only a test drive I needed to get home and give it all a check over. The rattling noise had settled, but I am sure they are not in their correct position still.

I will be making notes as time goes by and making some recommendations to AST on the design shortly, as they can be improved. I am not happy about the top hat mounts on the springs or the way the nut sits, or the size of it.

I’ll update my findings at the end of the week, but for now I am quite happy with them, and I have yet to explore the full handling benefits. Can't wait :)

BMW M5 & E36
Good write up and positive on the whole, that's what we like to hear. I've not fitted mine yet but helped a friend out today with his Cup.

On some older AST mounts the centre nut has a much larger head on it, rather than the 2/3mm protruding from the recess as our new ones are. Slightly annoying and I'm unsure as to why AST have changed them. I've PM'd KAM about this earlier so will hopefully hear back.

Clio Williams & 182
Yea mate, I will be sending them feedback. I think they need to enlarge the recess where the nut sits. This itself wont compromise strength as that part does not need it, it's only the solid part that sits up in the strut hole that needs to take any strain.

Not seen the bigger nut ones, this would make sense.

Did you have issues with the part that sits on the springs not fitting?

Just got your PM's on C16v dude. And yes, they should sit inside, mine do, it seems your springs are slightly smaller in diameter.

My car went alot lower too after fitting, so I just wound it up to compensate :)

Clio Williams & 182
Just got your PM's on C16v dude. And yes, they should sit inside, mine do, it seems your springs are slightly smaller in diameter.

My car went alot lower too after fitting, so I just wound it up to compensate :)

I think they will go on, but need a lot of force to get them to do so, even the weight of the car didn't do it. They are standard 250lb AVO springs, all interchangeable with other coilover springs.

I think I will raise the car a tad more ;)

Very odd that they are such a tight fit. I tried someone elses from this group buy on a brand new FK strut and it was a 'perfect' fit into the spring, so im guessing 1mm difference in size would make it tight!

172 cup
put mine on koni adjustables today.

not impressed with the new recessed nut at all, and there not the best to work out how to fit on oe style dampers. Ow and they have raised the front of mine by about 10mm. Guess they only lower the car more on coil overs

BMW M5 & E36
Just loosely assembled mine, the spring sits over my cup easily, not had to force it at all. FK spring's so possibly a little different to your Avo's.

The older/larger headed nut here:

IMG_3043.jpg

Clio Williams & 182
put mine on koni adjustables today.

not impressed with the new recessed nut at all, and there not the best to work out how to fit on oe style dampers. Ow and they have raised the front of mine by about 10mm. Guess they only lower the car more on coil overs

Did you get any pics of you OE style setup? 10mm increase!!? Screw that, there must be a way to shave that off...maybe machine the sleeve bit that sits under the larger anodised part...

Seems like I am not the only one who does not like the securing nut!

172 cup
Did you get any pics of you OE style setup? 10mm increase!!? Screw that, there must be a way to shave that off...maybe machine the sleeve bit that sits under the larger anodised part...

Seems like I am not the only one who does not like the securing nut!

If you mean pics with it fitted whilst off car then yer I did mate, just drop me a pm if you want them

Clio Williams & 182
Thanks! Looks well weird! Do you have to put the top hat from AST on? It may make a mess if you don't I guess...

Thank God I have coilies, no more spring compressors!

Yea see the nut in the top? Mine has fouled the inside of the anodised part and scratched/dented it to hell already!

172 cup
does look a bit weird but cant see any other way of doing it.

Just quick update for you all, I have spoke to KAM as regards to the recessed nut and there getting in touch with AST tomorrow to try and sort something

Clio Williams & 182
does look a bit weird but cant see any other way of doing it.

Just quick update for you all, I have spoke to KAM as regards to the recessed nut and there getting in touch with AST tomorrow to try and sort something

Cool well done, I will be sending a few suggestions as well. I've done about 25 miles on them now, it has gotten rid of the wobbly feeling from OE mounts with my AVO's though the max negative camber adjustment is tiny.

172 cup
Yer be good if a few others get in touch to back up the fact that a. its not just me being akward and b. its a bit of a design fault

Not got a great deal of camber either. Looks ideal for road use though and sticks loads better on twisties

Clio Williams & 182
Looks ideal for road use though and sticks loads better on twisties

It does seem to have gotten rid of a feeling I am fighting the car and random jarring I get over bad roads, and feels keener to dig in, yes, plus the noise from slow turns has gone.

I'll email them tonight.

172 cup
it all lines up with the strut shaft so dont see how it isnt safe. The bearing wouldnt sit flush without it, I dont see how else it could work . . .

Really need to find someone else who has fitted them to oe style dampers to see what they have done . . .

Last edited:
  BMW M5 & E36
As an alternative, what do people think about opening the centre hole of the Renault spring top upto 27mm (to suit AST black bearing), and remove the AST cap of the above (Riley!) photo?

This would effectively swap the AST top for the Renault top and cure Rileys gained ride height as mentioned above? (AST tophat is 20mm deep).

It seems to me there are two separate issues here:

1. The fitting of solid top mounts.

2. Camber and castor adjustment.

Now can you confirm that the improvement you subjectively felt is due to the actual fitting of the solid top mounts, or is it due to the fact that you have more camber?

All of the improvements you felt could easily be explained by increased camber, an effect you could get by fitting some 20 pound camber bolts. If that is the case i can not see the point in solid top mounts, particularly as there is nothing wrong with the Renault originals. Even you state they do not fit properly. Surely that means it is a poor product?

Please clarify these points for us.

172 cup
my oe mounts were shot anyway, no pla in these with them being solid so more feel etc. Adjust castor on ast's, can you do that on some £20 bolts???? id like to know how . . .

Last edited:
my oe mounts were shot anyway, no pla in these with them being solid so more feel etc. Adjust castor on ast's, can you do that on some £20 bolts???? id like to know how . . .

I think youll find i said camber. Why would you want to adjust caster out of interest? You seem to feel the need to do it, maybe you could explain why you would want to.

172 cup
I think youll find i said camber. Why would you want to adjust caster out of interest? You seem to feel the need to do it, maybe you could explain why you would want to.

Im not having this conversation in this thread it is off subject, if you wish to start your own thread about 'why you would want to adjust castor' that is upto you.

S3, Polo
I've not fitted mine yet. I'll be fitting to OE shocks and Eibach springs (Like Riley!).

that doesn't look safe, the tophat isn't meant to be used on standard struts

If I've asked Kam Racing to machine the collars, so it's suitable for use with an OE setup, should I not use the top hat?

Is it straightforward to set them to have the same camber/ castor characteristics as OE? I want to do that, then make adjustments from there to suit...

Last edited:
  Clio Williams & 182
had a revelation on the way to work when I suddenly realised why the car felt better to drive: It's not tramlining anymore. The suspension is staying put rather than each strut being pulled about all over the place with the rubber mounts, and the fact they are allowed to move about so much due to the AVO's making the top mount sit so high (and not secure in the turret recess).

Previously over bumps and crap roads the car felt like it was trying to scoot off in directions I didn't want it to go, That's mostly gone now, feels a lot easier to drive on my commute to work.

The springs have settled into their top hats as well.

Where the new mounts have lowered the car a bit I still need to raise the height about 15mm on driver side and about 8-10 on passenger side. This will improve the ride quality further.

Clio Williams & 182
People may have to use the top hats from AST, I simply don't know. They may be supplied in case you wish to use coil overs at a later date.

Clio Williams & 182
It seems to me there are two separate issues here:

1. The fitting of solid top mounts.

2. Camber and castor adjustment.

Now can you confirm that the improvement you subjectively felt is due to the actual fitting of the solid top mounts, or is it due to the fact that you have more camber?

All of the improvements you felt could easily be explained by increased camber, an effect you could get by fitting some 20 pound camber bolts. If that is the case i can not see the point in solid top mounts, particularly as there is nothing wrong with the Renault originals. Even you state they do not fit properly. Surely that means it is a poor product?

Please clarify these points for us.

This aimed at me?

I am still learning about the benefits or adverse effects of fitting these, but I can say I no longer tramline anything like as much as I was. I knew what I wanted to do with the set up I have and these mounts seemed to provide a solution. The camber and castor were simply an added bonus and something to mess about with.

I think the negative camber has played a roll in the way the car gets power down in the corners more efficiently, yes.

I tried them with positive castor dialled in as well, it was an interesting experiment, but I didn't like the way it changed the self centering of the front wheels coming out of tight slow bends. I don't believe negative castor will be any good either as then it will have a negative effect on my normal daily driving down a straight road, so I have left castor alone.

Overall, I like the look of them under the bonnet too. The main flaw is that the securing nut has fouled the inner sleeve of the anodised mount.

172 cup
^ isnt actually bolted down in pic is only resting on . .. and all flat faces that should mount flat together are doing