ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST question

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Picking up a car with AST coils which are fitted with the track spring option. Spoke to Matt from TDF at trax and he said that the springs ast provide are way to stiff and he recommends changing them. Anyone done this? If so changed to what?

172 Race Car
Did you ask what they were?

If you asked for track setup then its gonna be stiff isnt it :S

Its fine on the road by the way. Driven and been in Dan Freemans car plenty of times.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
They are already fitted to the car im buying. The seller says he specified the track set up. Which im expecting to be stiff. not problems with that, just matt said what ast provide may be way to stiff and cause understeer!

172 Race Car
See what YOu think when you get it. Changine them is no biggy. if they cause understeer for you then change either front or rear to get a balance

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Seems a good buy for the parts & mileage. Jay/Meek what rate you both running on the rear?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
We went softer on the rear in the end,but I can't remember what they were.

Be interested to hear what yours are running next time you get chance to have a nosey tony. You still running the whiteline with yours?

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes atm,seemed to work well at Mallory.

Will check spring rates at the weekend when we are checking the car over.

172 Race Car
From memory 100newton front 60 newton rear. That info isnt really alot of use to anyone tho as the car is setup for a specific set of circunstances. track only, they tyres were on etc

When we had the road/trackday car we used to run 80 newton all round (about 460lbs)

I have the 450, 400 track setup and I don't have any problem with under steer.

They're not much fun on the road though, too stiff to push on on B roads with confidence. It's the bumps that cause problems with the stiffness. Great on track.

Just try it and see what you think.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Useful info, cheers fellas. Upping the fronts on mine to 70n and sticking with the 40-60 progs on the rear for now to trial the ARB. Jay-you just run on semis not full slicks don't you?

172 Race Car
Yea trackday tyres effectively. Not alowed slicks. Just found my setup notes. our current setup is rears are 40-60newton progressive springs and 100newton fronts

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Yea trackday tyres effectively. Not alowed slicks. Just found my setup notes. our current setup is rears are 40-60newton progressive springs and 100newton fronts

Cheers Jaye, yea I'm reasonably happy with the rear for now-currently quite forgiving & wanting to keep it fairly soft to compliment the whiteline. It's the fronts need upping on mine as it felt like it was falling over itself at Anglesey (lovely for general road use mind). Hopefully stiffening it up a little and cutting some of the w/b deflection should help cut the roll moment enough to tame a little of the entry/mid push I was getting in places. I appreciate its always going to be a compromise with the road going geo on the clio mind.