ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Argh. Seized little f***er...any suggestions?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Took the Scenic for new tyres this morning but couldn't get the wheelnut cover off one of the wheels as the bolt has seized.

The 'T'piece tool Renault supply would be more effective if it were made from cheese...and so far, no amount of penetrating fluid, taps with a punch, or attempts with the 'T' piece + locking pliers is getting it to budge.

Before I take a Dremel to it and simply cut the cover off...does anyone have any suggestions?

The offending item...

DSCN0327_zpscf466e26.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Screwdriver in side of the cap and snap it off. You can then get mole grips on the bolt. (Yes, i've had to do it before)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not that I've ever bothered with mate. For the sake of £10 for a new (ebay) centre cap and bolt I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

I always copper grease them now because they do seem to get seized quite easily.

GSXR + KDX220
Use a screwdriver or small punch & hammer to knock it round (undo it) or at least start it off. Is that what you meant by using a punch or just hitting it end on in an attempt to shock it free?

Black Sheep
I would get your dremmel and cut a nice slot in it, then whack it with an impact driver with a flat bit on it.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Use a screwdriver or small punch & hammer to knock it round (undo it) or at least start it off. Is that what you meant by using a punch or just hitting it end on in an attempt to shock it free?

I'd try this before cavemaning the cover off like Daniel said. lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I tried both, lump hammer and large punch end on, and a thin pin punch trying to turn it.

Hadn't thought of cutting a slot and and using an impact driver on it...may try that first before ripping the thing to bits.

GSXR + KDX220
Perseverance usually pays in these situations lol

A combo of heating, WD40/Plusgas, twatting it multiple times should budge it eventually :)

Black Sheep
I tried both, lump hammer and large punch end on, and a thin pin punch trying to turn it.

Hadn't thought of cutting a slot and and using an impact driver on it...may try that first before ripping the thing to bits.

I dismantled a rust bucket motorbike where nearly every bolt was seized and cutting a slot was my normal method, get the bit tapped in with a hammer nice and tight first, then slide on the driver and smack that sucker hard!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Perseverance usually pays in these situations lol A combo of heating, WD40/Plusgas, twatting it multiple times should budge it eventually :)

How do you heat a plastic centre cap? :S

GSXR + KDX220
As above ^^^^ obviously dont "aim" for the plastic, and possible with those little blow torches wiith a flame thats only 5-6mm wide.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Never going to happen! The paint will bubble (at best!) and the plastic will no doubt warp.

​I'll bet dollar dollar bills on it y0!

Black Sheep
Generally I have found that when I use heat the end result is you basically destroy the corrosion by heating it where it threads into aswell as the bolt, that normally means a lot of heat. Think you would soon melt the plastic in that situation lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Tbh, if it's the front wheel, you could probably get enough heat into it by driving 2 miles with your foot on the brake.