ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are you happy with the seller of your car?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Are you happy with what you were told when buying your car? Was the seller honest and fair?

Myself, not so much no.

Wheels and tyres swapped for damaged/corroded budget items, one being pretty badly buckled.
Wipers swapped over for fooked ones.
Exhaust swapped over for the sale with a standard one that's so rusted it's unbelievable.
Both sidelights not working / not installed.

I've only ever bought 3 cars and on each occasion I didn't have any serious issues with the car, one of the sellers was a little bit dodgy though.

The Clio's I bought new and have no issues given the price I paid. As for the Civic no issues either, lad I bought from was a decent guy didn't mess me about, let me do leakdown/compression tests on the car and generally give it the rubber glove treatment until I was happy all was well. He still emails me from time to time asking how the car is and if I've done anything to it.

My first car (Clio from a dealer) f**ked me right off. Partly my fault for believing him/leaving a deposit. Too many problems to list but he was an absolute balls**tter and I didn't want to lose my deposit.

My 106, I knew everything that needed doing apart from the belts, there is a sticker in the sunvisor saying it's due in 30,000 KM's. I don't think he would have made a fake sticker up as I don't think he even new anything about cars lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Surely these are things to check before you pay and drive away?

Hardly the sellers fault you never looked the car over properly before you handed over your wonga.

Even if you paid a deposit, then went back a week later to collect it and all of the above had been swapped, just don't pay the balance and ask for your money back!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Surely these are things to check before you pay and drive away?

Hardly the sellers fault you never looked the car over properly before you handed over your wonga.

Even if you paid a deposit, then went back a week later to collect it and all of the above had been swapped, just don't pay the balance and ask for your money back!

Alloys and tyres I let go as they were swapped between viewing and collecting. Was annoyed but let it slide, probably shouldn't have.
The wiper blades I didn't find out until it rained after collecting.
The exhaust was aftermarket when I viewed it and swapped for collection. My mechanic has had the car today and the whole of it is shot to f**k.
Sidelights I only noticed when fitting HID's.

Guess I was a bit too trusting.

Ph2 Clio 172
What Daniel said, how did you end up with all that? Some things like the wheels would have been obvious when you collected it?

For me, no issues really. Only one for me with the Clio was being told after paying a deposit that there was outstanding finance. But that was paid off before I collected so was fine.

Lotus Elise
The bloke I bought #077 from was very honest, friendly and made me a banging cup of coffee and knocked £750 off the price top lad. Still in contact.

Megane r26
First car was my mk2 vtr, brought it of the sales maneger at abp motorsport in crewe. Let me go over it with a fine tooth comb an stayed in touch for a while. 2nd car was my ph2 172, brought from local peugeot dealer through a friend. Were fairly decent took there time getting it to me but any problems were sorted asap. Got me 197 from availble car an there were very helpful, got the car earlier as I wanted it so bad an was presented spanking clean an no probs what so ever.

Mk1 16v brooklands
No offence mate but of you let the wheels slide you seem abit of a push over.

Did u not ask why?
Hope you got some money off at least

Mustang, S13, AX GT
my 172 was bought from a bent dealer on the provision that the car had no noticeable faults without lifting the car on a ramp however had a 'warranty'. Paid my moneys took the car to a garage found a shed load of faults, went back and the warranty didn't exist. Trading standards did f**k all so had to spend a fortune fixing it up. I hate buying used cars, but no where near as much as I hate selling cars!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
No offence mate but of you let the wheels slide you seem abit of a push over.

Did u not ask why?
Hope you got some money off at least

Unfortunately not no, was a bit of an idiot with it.

To be honest I could have lived with it if it was just the wheels, the other bits are just getting annoying though.

I know the lad and he's a member on here so to be honest I just went with the flow so to speak.

I didnt do enough research when buying my 182 from a dealer and because of that i ended up paying about 2k more than i should of. What i should of done is join this forum first for a couple of months and then gone and bought one!

ff 182 55 plate 50k miles £6,995

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I didnt do enough research when buying my 182 from a dealer and because of that i ended up paying about 2k more than i should of. What i should of done is join this forum first for a couple of months and then gone and bought one!

ff 182 55 plate 50k miles £6,995

We've all done that, but tbh, as long as the car's a good'un is it really worth worrying about? If you keep it 4 years (about average for a used car buyer) then thats £500 a year. Its peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Daniel, when you put it like that i guess your right, i have had no problems with it and will of had it 2 years in august so all is good.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Have you made contact with the member in question before posting this thread?

320d
Daniel, when you put it like that i guess your right, i have had no problems with it and will of had it 2 years in august so all is good.

Two years ago £7K wasn't that obscene for a 182. Maybe worth more like £5500-6000. I sold a ph1 172 two years ago (to the day yesterday :( ) for £2700 so you've not been done out of too much mate.

I thought you'd paid that a few months ago around your join date, that would have been a tad steep.

The exhaust system that is currently on the car has already been sold, so the standard system will be going back on.

That's from the advert in question if it's the one I'm thinking about. Ok maybe doesn't say the condition of the standard system but at least he included it.

I think your being a little picky tbh. Looking back at the advert it was very good. Didn't you also get it a while ago why bring it up now?

If its not the one I'm thinking off then forget the whole thing. :)

Last edited:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not going to go into all the details as it's not a thread about my car, more about peoples experiences in general.

Jay.S. I take your point, however the exhaust system on the car is like a sieve according to my mechanic who has the car at the minute. So basically it would have been completely shagged when it was swapped over, but was done anyway....

Most will know that this is my old car.
I am pretty gutted that JP isn't happy with his purchase. I did genuinely love that car and was in pretty good nick for what it is.

Few things I want to make a point of, as I don't want people to think I'm a total prick etc:
- ok I hold my hands up about the tyres. I realised that they were s**t a few days before I sold the silver one, so I swapped them over. In hindsight, I should have given JP a ring beforehand so that he was aware, rather than leaving it until pick up day. I did apologise on the day about this and explained my reasoning for wanting the tyres. Could be seen as pretty sly etc, so I do apologise.
(the alloys didn't seem buckled or anything to me though. They're actually in better nick than mine tbf)
- Re wiper blades. JP text me saying that they were s**t. I offered some money back or to post some out to him, as I wanted him to be happy with the purchase.
- With the exhaust, I didn't know about this. I had a garage fit for me (when they took the stainless off). They didn't mention anything about it being dodgy or anything and with me being a mechanical r****d, I wouldn't know anyway. Seemed fine to me.
- Finally, side lights. I genuinely didn't have a clue about this issue, so if it was like this when you bought it, I apologise.

I don't want this to turn into arguments or anything, so I just thought I'd say the above.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Asked them to change the aux belt and pulley, to find out 6k miles later they only changed the belts.
Not sending the advisory sheet on with the mot form, after saying they'd change anything that was an advisory. (only found out 8 months on, my fault and nothing serious but annoying)
Would not use the garage again, a small 'reliable' garage in Stratford on Avon.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I bought my Trophy a bit blind, and the seller wasn't totally honest.

Brakes were shot when he said they were good, same goes for the life left on the front tyres. I still went ahead on the day as it's all small money fix's in the grand scale of things.

He was honest about the TRE and Ball Joint needing replacing though, rear shocks were a surprise but I don't think he would of known about them leaking.

Clio 1.2 16V
Wouldn't say I was too happy when buying mine, although they did manage to sort out some bodywork issues pretty well.

Was agreed on for them to change the timing belt before I bought the car, but they didn't change the AUX belt at the same time? which I had to change a few weeks back because it was starting to look a bit aged, glad I did after I saw the condition of it!
Finding oil all over the inlet manifold was bit of a shock too, which was the cause of the car cutting out every so often.

Although I could have probably avoided some of these problems by doing a bit more research, the car is still running fine and hasn't had any major issues yet.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Luckily I bought mine off a lad I knew of. Still in regular contact and he still helps me out with car and even fitted my wheels for me last night. I think he enjoys working on it more than me lol. Genuine top bloke.

Mk1 16v brooklands
Unfortunately not no, was a bit of an idiot with it.

To be honest I could have lived with it if it was just the wheels, the other bits are just getting annoying though.

I know the lad and he's a member on here so to be honest I just went with the flow so to speak.

Name and shame dude, then Everyone else knows no to trust him

Mk1 16v brooklands
I paid £1800 for my 172 exclusive in december 2010 4 months later the engine went bang. Had most service histor so couldnt complain!

Replaced the engine jobs a gooden

Think you'll find he's named himself a few posts up ;), and fair play to him for doing so.

Had some issues with mine, mainly the service book has the wrong vin number, turns out to be an original mistake from Renault that they resolved. I'm sure the tyres were different from when I went to view up, but I honestly can't remember!

Last edited:

Most will know that this is my old car.
I am pretty gutted that JP isn't happy with his purchase. I did genuinely love that car and was in pretty good nick for what it is.

Few things I want to make a point of, as I don't want people to think I'm a total prick etc:
- ok I hold my hands up about the tyres. I realised that they were s**t a few days before I sold the silver one, so I swapped them over. In hindsight, I should have given JP a ring beforehand so that he was aware, rather than leaving it until pick up day. I did apologise on the day about this and explained my reasoning for wanting the tyres. Could be seen as pretty sly etc, so I do apologise.
(the alloys didn't seem buckled or anything to me though. They're actually in better nick than mine tbf)
- Re wiper blades. JP text me saying that they were s**t. I offered some money back or to post some out to him, as I wanted him to be happy with the purchase.
- With the exhaust, I didn't know about this. I had a garage fit for me (when they took the stainless off). They didn't mention anything about it being dodgy or anything and with me being a mechanical r****d, I wouldn't know anyway. Seemed fine to me.
- Finally, side lights. I genuinely didn't have a clue about this issue, so if it was like this when you bought it, I apologise.

I don't want this to turn into arguments or anything, so I just thought I'd say the above.

Not reading FTL.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you want a set of wiper blades, you can get flatblades from Tesco for about £3 each, or half decent ones online for about £8 each.

If this is a Ph1 (and I think it is), sidelights look terrible anyway. Mine ran without any ! One kept blowing so I took them out.

Wheels seems a bit odd but we've just seen the other side of the story.

Back on topic, I've bought one car which turns out was a bit of a shed. It cost me a lot of money and I got rid of it after it spent more time as a garden ornament than a useable vehicle. I'm pretty sure he knew about its issues and neglected to mention it. :dapprove:

Where as my current bus' previous owner still keeps in touch ! :approve:

Audi dealer was quite good tbh. Made my old man a few cups of coffee while I went over the paperwork.

Oh and they also sent me 2 bottles of champagne.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Only ever bought my cars from a dealer, yet to buy privately. But so far never really had any problems.

1 car I bought I realised it wasn't what I wanted 3 month later and traded it in for like half what I paid. Bit of a stupid mistake really that put me out of pocket just because I rushed into things.