ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my rear brakes dragging? (after fitting new discs)

Clio 182 Trophy
I fitted my new rear brake discs to my trophy on the weekend and ever since then when driving slowly with windows down I can hear them dragging slightly....

I have done about 100miles since they were fitted and I can still hear them...

The car has Bendix pads on the rear and they were not changed with the disks as they were already pretty new.

I made sure to wind the piston back in whilst fitting them.

Have a look at video... hard to make it out but gives you the idea..

Is this likely to go away or is it normal? i'm pretty sure my previous disks didn't drag this much.

The discs are genuine Renault ones btw.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182 Trophy
mean't to say too.. they get hot after a normal drive but not as hot as fronts obviously. Kinda point to it being fine? but just wanna check.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Mistake #1 - Whenever you fit new discs you should always fit new pads.

Have you cleaned up the pad carrier, greased up and taken the edge off the pad seat tips?

Mick

Clio 182 Trophy
the pads were changed about 3 / 4 months ago so I didn't think it would be worth it. I only fitted new discs as I needed new wheel bearings and I could get the discs cheap with the bearing already pressed in so just did that.

There was still a fair bit of copper grease on the back of the pads. Not sure what you mean by 'taken the edge off the seat tips' though.

A.N. Other
Is the other side the same? If not, then yes it's dragging a bit on that side, but from that clip it doesn't look too bad IME.
Ideally, you should clean off the caliper/carrier with a wire brush before fitting the new discs & pads. It's also worth getting in behind the piston seal (if it's easy to do so on Clios?) and putting some WD40 or similar in there before winding them back - just to help flush them out a bit. Again, in my experience.

Clio 182 Trophy
thanks Dave, the other side does it also.

The fronts also rub every so slightly, but not as much and I haven't had them apart.