ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are Anybody Know Much About Toyo T1-s Tyres????

2LTR 16V TURBO CLIO!
As above looking at getting some new wheels and the TOYO T1-S TYRES
come with them!

Any good any body got them had them etc?

Any info will be great!

Tar!

I agree with everyone else in the wet on bends they were not a touch on what they are hyped up to be. Only good thing was it would deal with water sitting on the road well at higher speeds on motorways.

106 GTi
friend had them on his scooby. quite good tyres that last well. prefer michelin exalto 2 or toyo T1-R. have a look on www.blackcircles.co.uk

Ran them for around 60k on my old Pug GTi's

The T1s are fine in the dry, very sketchy in the wet. Not sure how your mate got them to last on a Scooby though, I struggled to get 6K out of the fronts on my 205 GTi.

My prefer Exaltos of Goodyear F1's though, but the T1R's do seem an improvement over the S

Last edited:
Ah toyo ditchfinders, f**king rubbish in anything but bone dry conditions. Wouldnt touch them personally, had them in the past and never again.

106 GTi
Ah toyo ditchfinders, f**king rubbish in anything but bone dry conditions. Wouldnt touch them personally, had them in the past and never again.

LOL so true - until you have been heading backwards down a dual carrigeway heading for the armco you will never appreciated the true crapness of them in the wet!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
T1-S's and T1-R's both absolute sh*te in the wet . You couldn't give me another set .

2002 Clio Sport 172
I've got the Toyo Proxies.. first time i've had them.. finding them ok, though lots of people said they hated them in the wet, i've been fine with them.. but im no speed demon!

Tangoed Works
My cuz stacked his vtr fitted with toyo t1r. In the dry they are fine, but these tyres have cost him 600 to repair his car due to them not holding up on a roundabout.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
^ Or maybe he was pushing to hard... I have T1-s on mine and so far I have no problems with them, they grip perfectly fine in both the dry and the wet, of course only if you dont drive like a tit in the wet...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
of course only if you dont drive like a tit in the wet...

^ Bit of a silly comment if you ask me mate !

Whats the point of having a car with 170+ bhp if you have to tip toe round when its wet ?? Imo you want a tyre that instills confidence in the car in all weather conditions . I know from experience just how bad they can be in the wet , i stacked my old 172 into a motorway crash barrier on a bend at a speed i had comfortably done 100's of times before in my pug 306 with pirelli p6000's on and what i comfortably still do now in my 182 with exaltos on . We all know the clios can be a bit twitchy with the back end stepping out , so was the Pug . I'd rather pay 20 quid a tyre more and feel confident that the tyre will deliver performance in all conditions , not just when its dry .

Maybe in 20 or 30 years time when global warming means we get fcuk all rain lol then i'd consider toyos again , but until then i'll stick with a tyre that i know can handle the British climate , safely ;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
of course only if you dont drive like a tit in the wet...

^ Bit of a silly comment if you ask me mate !

Whats the point of having a car with 170+ bhp if you have to tip toe round when its wet ?? Imo you want a tyre that instills confidence in the car in all weather conditions . I know from experience just how bad they can be in the wet , i stacked my old 172 into a motorway crash barrier on a bend at a speed i had comfortably done 100's of times before in my pug 306 with pirelli p6000's on and what i comfortably still do now in my 182 with exaltos on . We all know the clios can be a bit twitchy with the back end stepping out , so was the Pug . I'd rather pay 20 quid a tyre more and feel confident that the tyre will deliver performance in all conditions , not just when its dry .

Maybe in 20 or 30 years time when global warming means we get fcuk all rain lol then i'd consider toyos again , but until then i'll stick with a tyre that i know can handle the British climate , safely ;)
I disagree, its not rocket science to be able to judge when your tyres are going to let go, flooring it in the wet with any tyre on is not a clever thing to be doing. You may have found more preferential tyres for your way of driving, but I've not had a problem with the toyo's, and previous to that I didn't lose control with yokohama's either...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Most of the time its the drivers fault. My mate has a xantia estate run around running on s**t skinny remoulds and he can't half throw that thing around in the wet.

106 GTi
Re the Toyos are fine in the wet unless you drive like tit in the rain comment so un true. After doing a fair amount of miles on them wet or dry. Most of the scary wet weather moments actually occured with them in the wet at low speeds. Huge amounts of understeer even at low speeds coming of roundabouts (leading to lift lots off oversteer when in a 205 GTi when it was clearly not working by trying to accelerate out of the problem) became boring and a little dangerous after a while. Even when not psushing on in the damp they the T1s are very poor.

I found you have to feed the T1-S into a corner in the wet to get it to grip, whereas with F1s you can literally chuck it in at any speed and it will either grip or gradually gain grip as it scrubs off speed.

You couldn't do the same in the T1-S as you'd be heading straight on into the nearest ditch/sign/field...

And all this "don't drive like a tit" malarkey - that's all very well and good but if someone pulls out on you from nowhere, you actually want to have some grip to stop with, rather than slewing into the back of them! :S

I hated the T1-s I had fitted to my first scooby, I'd avoid them in future. At the moment I have no desire to change from michelin PE2s tbh.

RS Clio 200
toyos are a bit lame - a good choice if ure low on cash thouhg - or as above, come with the wheels

Ad

MK2 FRS
The R's appear to be much better than the S version.

Had thema while back, they dont have great wear rate and as the get to the last 20% of the tread they really do give up the grip levels. Tyres are all about the standard you are accustomed to. No a patch on F1s or PEs, but better or on par with the continentals contisports you got on a Mk2 172 as standard.

2LTR 16V TURBO CLIO!
Not sounding the best then i can upgrade ot the t1-rs for a extra £100,

Every agree the f1s are far better?

Might get them without tyres now.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Here you go mate, these are the ratings for T1-s, T1-r and PE2s from tyretest.com. This should give you an idea. I'll try and find the rating for F1s also.
T1-R:
http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/toyo/proxes_t1_r/index.html

T1-S:
http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/toyo/proxes_t1_s/index.html

PE2s:
http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/michelin/pilot_exalto_pe2/index.html

From the ratings, the PE2 is better than the T1-s but the T1-r is much higher rated. The Toyos are highly regarded on Suzuki Ignis owners club as they have talked a friend into buying some also. I would personally choose the T1-s if you on a budget, or if not pay for the upgrade to T1-R, but its completely upto you mate. I have got absolutely no problems with the Toyos in either the wet or dry.

EDIT:
Also, on the 1st page of private vehicle tests for tyretest.com, Toyo proxes are number 1, michelin are even in the top 5. The people here are very biased against toyo and I would guess its because teh max power brigade rate them also, but they work pretty well. (http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/index.html)

Last edited:
Got to say Kneel most of the tyre tests will not be done on a Clio and one set of tyres may be perfectly suited for one car yet be absolute crap on another same goes for the Ignis mention.
If you want to try them go for it I did but when you are spending over £250 on a set of tyres you don't want to be having to buy twice. I've bought lots of different sets of tyres to see if anything is better than Michelin only to realise I should've stuck with the Michelins as IMO on a Clio it's the best all round tyre.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
I bought toyo's when my F1s went on the front. I put the toyo's on the back and oringinally rear F1s on the front.

Could deffo tell the difference, i would not be buying them again in a hurry. Cant remember if they were S or T but i usually buy the best when it comes to tyres.

F1s or Michelin only for me from now on, Had Bridgestones (PP S02 iirc) and rate them inbetween those and toyo's.

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
:D I looked over all these similar threads when buying new tyres and got the same answers. You'll never know what a tyre is like until you've had em on you're own car!

Others say they are good/bad etc but each to there own. I ended up buying T1-R's for my valver.

I now agree with 'some' posts -they are really quite good in the dry, but also - at any speed in the wet they are really quite bad!

I had profiler-g's on the rear when I bought the car and 'shot' Pirelli P5000 Drago on the front. They drove better in the wet.

Enjoy which ever 'you' decide.