ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ARB Material

ValverInBits
OK, I could really do with some help.

What is a Williams Anti-Roll Bar made from?
Is it spring steel? Is it mild steel? or high carbon? It's a solid bar, and it's about 20mm dia.

Reason for asking:
Basically I've made myself a problem on my project car. It's a MK1 clio with a VAG 20v

I've directed the custom downpipe off the turbo over the top of the subframe. The standard exhuast goes under. I've done this mostly to avoid the driveshaft and it works well and I don't want to change it.

The anti roll bar sits just behind the subframe and is 'kinked' upward to avoid the Original exhuast route. This kink now crushes the new exhaust against the car. I want to chop out the kink and weld in straight bar to replace it. I'm not sure if that's a good idea given that I don't know what the material is or the heat treatments.

ValverInBits
thanks for your helpfull, usefull and informative post :D

It's looking like it might end up that way! times are tough

alien green rs133
honnest as long as it gives some form or rigidity it will be reet, sleeve a bit of box tube over ends you have cut off and weld it on. 100% will do the job :D

tiTTy & SV650
From wikipedia;

A sway bar is usually a torsion spring that resists body roll motions. It is usually constructed out of a U-shaped piece of steel that connects to the body at two points, and at the left and right sides of the suspension. If the left and right wheels move together, the bar just rotates about its mounting points and does not bend. If the wheels move relative to each other, the bar is subjected to torsion and forced to twist.

The bar resists the torsion through its stiffness. The stiffness of an anti-roll bar is based on the fourth power of its radius, the stiffness of the material, the inverse of the length of the lever arms (i.e., the shorter the lever arm, the stiffer the bar), the geometry of the mounting points, and the rigidity of the bar's mounting points.

lift number 1 @ btm
no worries, but to be honest, he'd happily tell you anything you needed to know for free.
you would probably end up trying to get away!

LY 182
i think a welded anti roll bar will fail an mot (i should know this i am a tester) im pretty sure there is a failure for suspension components showing repairs using excessive heat or repaired by welding...

i will check for certain tommorow

ITB'd MK1
i think a welded anti roll bar will fail an mot (i should know this i am a tester) im pretty sure there is a failure for suspension components showing repairs using excessive heat or repaired by welding...

i will check for certain tommorow

you're right. I've talked round it for fabricated parts. How would a Kit-car with home made arms ever get an MOT otherwise????

ValverInBits
The MOT information is interesting thanks.
I was considering getting a torsion beam from the scrappy and using that as material to splice into the ARB. I've got a spare cheap 16v ARB which I can chop and weld so I'll give that a try. It's not going to be me doing the final welding. I've got a very experienced guy lined up.

ITB'd MK1
The MOT information is interesting thanks.
I was considering getting a torsion beam from the scrappy and using that as material to splice into the ARB. I've got a spare cheap 16v ARB which I can chop and weld so I'll give that a try. It's not going to be me doing the final welding. I've got a very experienced guy lined up.

looked at a mk2 ARB? might be worth a shot

ValverInBits
f**k me dan. That's a point. If anyone has any photos of a MK2 ARB, post em up. I'll go trawling the projects for a subframe setup.

BMW M5 & E36
172 ARB

IMG_5938.jpg

ValverInBits
ah don't say that. :(

I might get a 1.2MK2 one from the scrappy and have a look at the hump situation.