ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Approaching someone to buy their car?

Bit of a random thread, but what is the best way to approach someone about purchasing their car if it isn't actually for sale?!

I plan on trying my luck at getting hold of a certain Sunflower in my village (as long as everything checks out), but I don't want to come across as desperate (to the point where the owner will rub his/her hands and expect loads of cash) or as a bawbag either.

Basically, whats the right things to say, without them seeing pound signs?! (obviously, at the end of the day, its still a Clio and i'm not a high roller, so I wouldn't be willing to pay over the odds for it)

I had trouble getting the owner at the right time when I was originally stalking the car, so if I cant speak in person, I was planning to post a note through their postbox to ask them to give me a call to arrange an appropriate time.

Any help would be great. :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Well apply some (not so) common sense...

Leave a note through the door. Keep it simple. Job done.

If you don't hear a bean, tough. Move on FFS !

Megane 225 F1
Just walk up to the door, ring the bell, ask him why the car never moves and that if he doesn't use it, you're willing to do a px with your car.

Megane 225 F1
A post it? It would need to be a large post it for Paul to write

"I have fallen in love with your car and I would like to buy it off of you. I will do anything you wish".

Thank you :eek:

Clio 182 FF cup'd
I completely understand where your coming from!

I had this feeling with a mint original Clio with 20k on the clock, it was never used in the rain and always kept in a garage! I was quite lucky because the old lady asked me to inflate her tyres (which were the original tyres from new btw) ;)

i complimented her on how immaculate the car was (Even the wheel arch screws were still factory black!) and said im actually looking for a Clio to buy so if you ever want to sell it come back and ill make you an offer... She seemed really interested and said she was considering selling soon because of medical reasons.. I have completely fallen in love with it, I must have told all my mates this story, im hopeful the old lady will see sense and sell it to me one day! :p

Think about it from your side, if someone wanted to buy your car, you'd think about price+ just because they clearly want it.

Write a note. Reject their price. Then keep an eye out for another yellow one that's actually for sale.

Caterham, Z4
Notes don't work, I certainly wouldn't call a random just because a note came through the door.

Up the persistence and just be honest - but not too willing. More visits to the chaps house, and turn up looking vaguely presentable. If a scally turned up at my door regardless of what they had to say then I'd turn them away. Just say you've had a couple of Clios and always fancied a yellow one. If you decide to sell, please give me first refusal and hand him your details. Most people would offer up a timescale. If he has got other cars he might just ask for an offer. I'd sell my Caterham tomorrow for the right offer, but won't market it until Spring.

Funnily enough I'll be in the market for a 182 then... In any colour but yellow :lol:

Clio 172
Lol at leaving a note. We have people do this all year round at my mums house for her Van and Caravan and i don't think shes ever call one even when she did sell her old caravan in the end. Bang on the door and speak to them if your really interested, never know what they'll say.

The problem is actually catching them when they're in. I work in the evenings and they obviously work in the day, so its hard to catch them.

Ill keep being persistent with it and start to stalk the house again, starting this evening before work ;).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I did it with a mk1 Fiesta, the lady who had the car in her drive her dad had died and never did anything with the car but it wasn't for sale. Knocked on the door and she invited me in, I knew her dad actually once I realised who she was.

Beautiful car. Must have had about 10 miles on the clock!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I would say to the owner "Hi, Im ****, nice to meet you. I noticed you have a clio sitting around that you dont use much, im actually looking to get one very soon, how much would you want for me to take it off your hands? Its not my first pick in colour but if you want a resonable price for it, i'll take it"

Clio
If it never moves and they never answer the door have you cinsidered they might be dead? Is there any flies around the place or funny smells?

I would say to the owner "Hi, Im ****, nice to meet you. I noticed you have a clio sitting around that you dont use much, im actually looking to get one very soon, how much would you want for me to take it off your hands? Its not my first pick in colour but if you want a resonable price for it, i'll take it"

Yeah thats good , make it sound like your not keen on the colour !

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Easy...play it down, act as if you dont know what it is and make up a daft story. "My girlfriend really likes the colour and mentions it everytime we pass it, Im thinking of surprising her since shes just passed her test, would you be interested in selling it?"

White clique
I had a note left on my windscreen for the old CRX i had once, so i kept the number, and kept it so safe that i lost it! I wanted to call him when i sold it really badly but sadly it didnt work out that way.