ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV 4

So, earlier this month Apple announced the much anticipated updated Apple TV 4th gen. I was/am really excited by this, mainly for the UI update, as the current one is pretty boring.

screen-shot-2015-09-21-at-5-02-40-am.jpg

apple-iphone-6s-live-_1415.0.jpg

Apple specs: http://www.apple.com/uk/tv/
Breakdown: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4th+Generation+Teardown/49046

Sizes: 32GB and 64GB.
Price: Around £100 - £150? (USA = $149 - $199).

I'm not 100% sure if I'll adopt it on day one, and my reasons are below:
  1. Plex. I currently use an ATV3, hijacking the trailer app to run Plex from my server. Hopefully the appstore will allow Plex to run (http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/14/plex-vlc-new-apple-tv/), but there's no guarantees, and would it stream it locally?
  2. No optical out. ATV4 has lost the optical out port. This will effect me as my ATV3 is connected to my TV via HDMI, and amp via optical (I use different picture settings for Xbox/Sky/ATV, so each go straight to the TV for visual).
Anyone else getting the new ATV?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I'll be getting one but like you, not right away. I am interested to see what the developers can come up with using the new TV OS.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I'll be getting one, probably ASAP as I've been wanting one for upstairs but held off until the new one was out.

I'll put the new one downstairs and then move the ATV3 upstairs.

I think the third party apps will really be a 'game changer' for them

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I have no experience with ATV, so those who have the previous, is it worth having?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I have no experience with ATV, so those who have the previous, is it worth having?

Depends. I used to have ATV3, but sold it after buying Samsung smart TV as it has apps that I can download for everything and more than the ATV3 had.

I really can't see the need for these anymore now unless you have a none smart TV.

Has anyone bought one of these yet? I believe they are expecting delivery this Friday (tomorrow)?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Didn't even know they'd been released until you've mentioned this. Just ordered one now.

Strange that there was no actual date and no emails sent out or anything like that?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've just put my order in for a 64Gb but won't get it until Monday 2nd Nov.

I wasn't really fussed about it until recently but the wife has given me permission to bang a big f**k off TV on the wall and sort out the houses media properly. I like the idea of Apps because some of them are geared towards young kids and learning so that'll suit our daughter down to the ground. I also liked how Siri can search all streaming services to see who has what shows and display the results in one place rather than having to go to each service.

I still have my 3rd gen but I tended to use it at work to display wiring diagrams on the wall rather than having to keep running backwards and forwards to the Mac.

I really, really don't need one, but where will stock these? Can't see anything on JohnLewis/Currys etc.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Apple store fo'sho!

Demand can't be that high on these TBH and I didn't even get the launch email until this morning.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
What do these offer that the Apple TV 3 doesn't? What's the need for storage? I would have expected storage to be cloud based.

What do these offer that the Apple TV 3 doesn't? What's the need for storage? I would have expected storage to be cloud based.
Over the ATV3: Nicer iOS, tv apps and Siri.

I assume the storage is for the apps.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I'm guessing it won't be amazing for a little while. Once there are lots of apps it will really take off I think.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Well, this arrived just after 9am... actually looking forwards to playing with it tonight now

IMG_2506.jpg

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Let us know what it's like. Don't know where to get rid of Atv3 and get this or the new updated Amazon one.
There had better be an app for Amazon Tv on this or it can f**k off.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Mines due for delivery early this afternoon but I don't think anyone will be home to get it. Looks like I'll have to wait until tommmorow.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Let us know what it's like. Don't know where to get rid of Atv3 and get this or the new updated Amazon one.
There had better be an app for Amazon Tv on this or it can f**k off.

I've got a few mates who have asked if there's likely to be an Amazon app for it. I'll take a look later and let you know - If there is, it would be awesome but I can't see it due to the competition between ATV and AF hardware.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's why I have everything sent to work. Well, that and because I don't want the wife to find out exactly how much money I waste on car parts and Apple products lolz

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Still struggling to see the need for these. Most Smart TV's offer apps etc now. What are you gaining with this Mick that you don't already have with your tv (unless you don't have a smart TV of course?)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Exactly that, I don't have a Smart TV. This gives me YouTube and some other child friendly bits in the living room. I also love that SiRi can search for items across multiple streaming service providers and display them on a single screen for me to choose. I can also use AirPlay from any of our many Apple devices and stream our DVD collection which is now stored on an SSD.

The wife always thinks this kind of stuff is a waste of money and I guess it is (kind of) but she always loves using it and my daughter, even at 4, is a complete tech-nut and loves that she can start watching Peppa Pig or Tom & Jerry on the TV. When its time for bed, we can then smash it to the TV in her room if we want to watch something on Sky.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Ive had a smart tv for nearly 3 years and never once used the smart functions. The interface is clunky and slow. TVs dont have the processing power of dedicated boxes like this.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Ive had a smart tv for nearly 3 years and never once used the smart functions. The interface is clunky and slow. TVs dont have the processing power of dedicated boxes like this.

My 12 month old Samsung is far from clunky and has a perfectly useable interface. It's far better than the atv3 that I had before.

Some of the additions to atv4 sound good, but not good enough to make me buy one again.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I mentioned Plex was coming in post 24... I have never been so excited about an app before.

Plex Pro-Pass is £31.99 a year... bargain!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its gone down a treat at home yes, me and the kids love it but no NowTV App (yet). Apparently Sky haven't had the App approved yet and this seems to be causing a bit of a stir on the NTV forums where people are asking for money back (LoL). It isn't important to us as YouTube and Hopster but as a bonus, we've got Crossyroad in 1080p at 50" now so that's me and the kids sorted.

The wife was caught having a play with Apple Music earlier to so I think she'll come around on it

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Its gone down a treat at home yes, me and the kids love it but no NowTV App (yet). Apparently Sky haven't had the App approved yet and this seems to be causing a bit of a stir on the NTV forums where people are asking for money back (LoL). It isn't important to us as YouTube and Hopster but as a bonus, we've got Crossyroad in 1080p at 50" now so that's me and the kids sorted.

The wife was caught having a play with Apple Music earlier to so I think she'll come around on it
Cool. Might stop and get one on the way home...

If my amp wasn't s**t (HDMI board has failed, so I have to use optical in), I'd be all over this now. But the lack of optical makes it impossible for me to use :(

A native Plex app is awesome news though. I use Plex on ATV3, which works perfectly, but it lacks the UI of ATV4.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If my amp wasn't s**t (HDMI board has failed, so I have to use optical in), I'd be all over this now. But the lack of optical makes it impossible for me to use 😧

A native Plex app is awesome news though. I use Plex on ATV3, which works perfectly, but it lacks the UI of ATV4.
Does your TV not have optical out?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I've just been and picked mine up, the remote looks amazing.

Best bit about them I reckon, the remote on both the ATV3 and this are awesome bits of design