ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple - Time Machine / Airport Extreme Question

Im lookup at getting rid of my windows based Desktop PC and HTPC and replace them with a Macbook. I currently dont do any backups of data as i dont have anything large enough to back up too, which is really bad i know however with OSX i would like to utilise Time Machine.

My current setup is as follows:

Wired Desktop PC to router which stores all Music, Videos, Pictures, App Downloads. Also USB printer connected.

Wired HTPC to router which Streams media from Desktop PC

Wireless laptop to router which used for internet and printer sharing from Desktop PC

----

The macbook it would only come with a 160gb hdd which wouldnt be large enough to store all my stuff so i was thinking of a NAS drive or external HDD which would allow me to Share my stuff across the network however i would also want this backing up. With the following config how would i back up the external HDD or NAS?

Airport Express wired to router

USB printer connected to Airport express and then shared

USB Hard drive/NAS connected to Airport Express as Media Storage and then shared

USB hard drive/NAS connected to Airport Express as backup drive for use with Time Machine

Wireless Macbook connected to airport express for media sharing, printer sharing and backup

Wireless Laptop connected to airport express for media sharing and printer sharing

---

Would it be possible for Time Machine to backup the Media Storage?

Can anyone suggest a better way around this?

Also the new macbooks, has anyone connected to an LCD TV through HDMI using the 3rd party MDP to HDMI connectors? I would like the macbook to replace the HTPC as a media streamer for films too :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'd buy an airport exteme (2 channel) and use a usb hdd (and printer) with that.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB763

You wont have the music abilities of the express, but its a cracking router and better than a TC imho.

I use a DVI-HDMI cable with my macbook (needs the £15 adaptor for displayport/mini dvi) and it works great with itunes/front row - but apple need to add rental support to front row.

Last edited:
  Megane
Don't bother, the technology is expensive and crap, Apple has got to update the timecapsule soon.

Best option is a portable 2.5" Bus powered drive with TimeMachine, works a treat

oops, i wrote Express in the post but meant Extreme.

I have gone for a cheaper for the time being in the format of buffalo linkstation, this should connect to the network for central storage and allow printer and hdd sharing/backup.