ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Pay

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Anyone been using this then? Used it for the first time today! Cashier was like... "that's cool" :)

Until after 30 seconds of stalling on 'processing' it came up with 'transaction failed' and basically crashed the shops machine! Whoops. Anyone else experienced that? Was pretty embarrassing to be honest. Everything's set up fine on my iPhone and it says my card is ready to use. I'll try again somewhere else but if it fails again I'll have to contact someone... but should that be Apple or HSBC!?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
There was a thread on this somewhere, I don't see the point in it personally.

Honda. Tesla Someday
I've got mine set up but feel like a complete tw*t using it - so I haven't used it yet lol!!!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I use it whenever and where ever I can. Love it. We have it at work now but until the spending limits are removed, it's pretty useless.

DB.

BMW 440i
I don't lock my phone and you need a passcode in place for it I think. Much prefer life without!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay tried it somewhere else today and it worked... love it! Felt like I was living in the future lol.

Do you have to open Passbook first? I did just in case but not sure if you can literally just place your finger on the button and tap it without even unlocking the iPhone?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Meh, tried it for a month and it just annoyed me for a month tbh lol! Much prefer simple swipe to unlock!

If you spend few minutes programming properly it's awesome. Actually typing a code in feels like an age now.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Rather just get my wallet out. Firstly I won't look like a complete c**t. Secondly I can buy something worth more than twenty pounds.

Using contactless payments isn't a prerequisite for looking like or actually being a c**t. You're either born one or you're not.

Do you have to open Passbook first? I did just in case but not sure if you can literally just place your finger on the button and tap it without even unlocking the iPhone?

Yes, you need to open Passbook and select the card you wish to use. Have you tried it shopping online yet?

Using contactless payments isn't a prerequisite for looking like or actually being a c**t. You're either born one or you're not.

Ha. Fair point, and I was born a c**t so I won't argue with that. However, I still don't personally see the point. I carry my wallet with me as it also contains cash, so I'd rather just get that out. My wallet is for buying things, my phone is for speaking to people who aren't in the same building.

I literally do not see any advantage in using my phone to pay for things when I can do the same with something in the opposite pocket and buy stuff worth thousands of pounds instead of twenty. Soon to be increased to thirty, I know. And yes I realise that eventually that transaction limit will be removed, but I'd still rather just open my wallet.

Listerine & Poledo
How are you supposed to look baller paying by iPhone?

Any council scummer with 45 kids can get a 6+ 128gb for a fistful of benefits per month.

But pulling out a walletful of non-sequential 50's, not any slackjawed northerner with a vagina can do that.

But in answer, no, I wont be using it. But I do like how the first-use examples are

Wetherspoons
Subway

Class.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Contactless payments are used widely all over the World though without issue or limit and your phone is a device which *most* people tends to have on them over *95% of the time so it makes sense to have this as your "go to" device for shopping, boarding cards, travel passes and p**n.

I'm all for it (obviously) as I find removing a card from my pocket, inserting it in to a card reading device and punching in a four digit number to be so 1998. Apple have achieved more contactless payments since its launch than Visa did in since they launched NFC payments. Some are now even questioning why we need companies like Visa and MasterCard.

(* Obviously not an actual statistic, I 99.9% invented it)

Listerine & Poledo
Apple have achieved more contactless payments since its launch than Visa did in since they launched NFC payments. Some are now even questioning why we need companies like Visa and MasterCard.
Could it just be that all the Apple fans are massively desperate to try the system, a system which each retailer that supports it will have a massive partially-eaten-fruit symbol on the till?
Lets not be coy about it, Apple hardcoreists will make up any excuse to get their iWhatever out and are thus driving up numbers exponentially everytime they pull into Starbucks to hammer out another chapter of their novela (on a typewriter, natch), whereas when contactless pay came out on actual bank cards then not only was it barely mentioned outside of major cities, but cards needed to be issued and people needed to care.

Last edited:
Could it just be that all the Apple fans are massively desperate to try the system, a system which each retailer that supports it will have a massive partially-eaten-fruit symbol on the till?
Lets not be coy about it, Apple hardcoreists will make up any excuse to get their iWhatever out and are thus driving up numbers exponentially everytime they pull into Starbucks to hammer out another chapter of their novela (on a typewriter, natch), whereas when contactless pay came out on actual bank cards then not only was it barely mentioned outside of major cities, but cards needed to be issued and people needed to care.

Primary reason why I don't like it imo.

Contactless payments sure, from Apple? No.

For me it's nothing to do with Apple. I have many of their products and love them. Well, I love the hardware. The software side of things has soured the experience a little in recent months, but my like or dislike for Apple is irrelevant. I just have no interest in flashing my phone about in a shop.

Personal preference of course, but I have to smile when people try and sell it with the notion that getting a card from a wallet is somehow hard work. It would have been easier to stay in bed IIRC. Jesus.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's just it though, you don't have to do a song and dance with your device on show or make a bell end style announcement to the World that you'd like to pay with your iPhone/Watch. If the terminal is contactless it accepts ApplePay and I've had no one look at me and think "What a Wanker" specifically for using my phone... I get it for being a short, angry ginger t**t but they won't say anything about that for fear of a punch in the snout.

Agreed though, a card payment was never really hard work and whilst contactless IS a faster process, it doesn't mean the extra 10 seconds saved is somehow going to make you millions or allow you to cure AIDS whilst eating your lunch. It's a gimmick at the minute but it will most likely become standard for most people across iOS/Android devices in the not too distant future.

I really couldn't care less if people like the tech manufacturer or not. Fans Vs Trolls = Meh

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It'll be amusing when people think they can use it everywhere, and then go without their wallet. Oh, and then their phone gets lost/stolen :D

It'll be no different to having your wallet or phone stolen now tbh. You'll lose what ever cash you had in it but cards are pretty safe. The same is true with your phone unless you have it unsecured in which case, you deserve everything you get.

You do need to authenticate ApplePay with TouchID to yeah but it was supposed to be a joke... Never mind now.

It'll be no different to having your wallet or phone stolen now tbh. You'll lose what ever cash you had in it but cards are pretty safe. The same is true with your phone unless you have it unsecured in which case, you deserve everything you get.

You do need to authenticate ApplePay with TouchID to yeah but it was supposed to be a joke... Never mind now.

Well I just mean in the fact that you are relying on 1 device for 2 functions.

If you lose your wallet or phone, at least you have the other. If you lose your phone, and don't have your wallet, you're pretty screwed ^^

I didn't mean about theft by using it unauthorized, just what a pain it will be if we get to the point of only needing one device to get by day to day (imagine cars will be unlocked/started via phone too at some point). Not directed at Apple pay though, just in general :]

So I suppose we can conclude that some people fancy using Apple Pay because, to them, it's cool, and other people would rather just get their wallet out. I'm obviously in the latter camp. I'm not a Luddite though, and I do accept that things change. I can't imagine that we will still be using plastic cards "in the future" but until the future arrives, I'll stick to what I'm comfortable with.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I used it today. Worked perfectly.
And no you don't need to have passbook open at all. Or the phone unlocked. just hold your thumb over the finger print scanner and touch the phone on the reader.