ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Macbook Pro/Air

What's all the "Snow Leopard" etc operating systems all about? Do you have to pay to upgrade to the different systems and stuff?

I have NO idea about Apple really - just really want an apple laptop!

What would you recommend I get for a budget of £600, £700 and £800?

Thanks,
Dan.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If I was after a 13" I'd definitely be looking at an air. Still a very capable computer imo.

2.2 bar shed.
Entry level MB is the same price as the Air now so its a bit of a no brainer imo!

Oh for sure. They are beautiful. Missing too much though IMO. Ethernet and optical drive being the obvious omissions. Plus no backlit keyboard = rrrrrrubbirsh

Pro > Air > MacBook.

Snow Leopard is the operating system. Like you get XP etc. Snow Leopard is the current one. Lion will be released Q3 next year.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Looking at getting one of these also. I'm in further education but because I'm not connected to the college network atm it can't give me a price on how much student discount I'd get. Just lookin to see how much others have had off, cheers.

EDIT: Just found this while browsing on eBay, seems a decent price?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Apple-Mac..._Laptops_ET&hash=item5641dea505#ht_2107wt_905

15%, if you'd have ordered before the VAT rise it would be cheaper than the eBay one.

We bought a Macbook a couple of years ago from that eBay seller, no problems. They're american, so they have the american keyboard, but seeing as the machine was to be used for writing "C" code it was actually more convenient than a UK keyboard layout.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
15%, if you'd have ordered before the VAT rise it would be cheaper than the eBay one.

We bought a Macbook a couple of years ago from that eBay seller, no problems. They're american, so they have the american keyboard, but seeing as the machine was to be used for writing "C" code it was actually more convenient than a UK keyboard layout.

Yeah shame about the VAT rise but I've had a very healthy pay today so only really thought about it this afternoon, I'm tempted to just order from Apple get the 15% student discount then take advantage of the 0% APR and pay monthly? Thanks for the help btw.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'd buy direct from apple, the price difference between the eBay machine and the education is 17 quid...plus you can get applecare for £47. No brainer really.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Had my 15" MBP for about 18 months now, honestly don't know what I'd do without 'expose'.

The only downers, no tabular e-mail in entourage (outlook equivilent), no alt+0123 etc codes, you can't sort a folder into sub-folders then files like you can windows.

If you can stretch, get a 13" MBP.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Had my 15" MBP for about 18 months now, honestly don't know what I'd do without 'expose'.

The only downers, no tabular e-mail in entourage (outlook equivilent), no alt+0123 etc codes, you can't sort a folder into sub-folders then files like you can windows.

If you can stretch, get a 13" MBP.

You can turn on hex input codes by selecting "Unicode Hex Input" as the input language in International in system preferences.

And is there any reason you're using entourage?! It's cack!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
You can turn on hex input codes by selecting "Unicode Hex Input" as the input language in International in system preferences.

And is there any reason you're using entourage?! It's cack!

So you can! lol What's the keystroke sequence for Hex input?

Reason for using entourage is Exchange over OWA works as best as I've seen against other clients, with regards to calendars, shared stuff etc. That and it came with Office lol.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
11" Air is an incredible bit of kit....ive got the full spec model and it runs everything i thrown at it....ive had it since launch and love the thing.....Go try one out.

Ive got mine hooked upto a 30" panel and runs faster than my previous Pre-unibody MBP

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2844-1.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
^The new one is a stunning bit of kit. If only it had the backlit keys and a cd drive

Optical drives are dying, so that's fair enough. I think I've used the drive on my MBP and iMac about twice.

The omission of the backlit keyboard is a shame though.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I wish the air had the black around the screen :(

Still, if your after a 13" mac, the air is the one to get. Macbook almost seems pointless now, its only there to tempt over new people imo.

I'm yet to be won over with backlit keys, but have found them usefull when the lights off :)

Optical drives are dying, so that's fair enough. I think I've used the drive on my MBP and iMac about twice.

The omission of the backlit keyboard is a shame though.

I very rarely use the cd drive, but it only takes one time and I'd be missing it!