ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple, I love you but you're bringing me down

Balls. My original mac mini (oldskool) is dying, I want an iPad to use solely as an alternative. My mac is still running Tiger (again, oldskool) - iPad's don't play with Tigers.
I'm due to get rid of my virtually dead iPhone 3G (yet, again oldskool) for a iPhone 4 in the new year -but wait? the iPhone 4 doesn't like Tiger either.

This makes me cry. Well not really, but it makes me wonder whether its worth just upgrading my mini to leopard (what!? oldskool!) just so it can run the new stuff, or will it just slow my already crippled little box of tricks to a snails pace. It's already running annoyingly slow at times, but I cope with it, because I love it and its been there for me.

Or do I just shut up and get a new mac mini. Even though they ridiculously priced now.

I'm scared. Its too much like commitment. What shall I do? Help me, please!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You might as well have a refresh. Tiger is an old OS now, in anyone's (Mac)book.

27" iMac + iPhone 4.

Roll like a pro.

As sexy as iMac's are I really don't want a desktop, I hate the idea of sitting at a desk using a computer at home - the current/new mac mini is hooked up to my tv.

Jesus H - £600 for the base Mac mini now. I'm sure I paid around £400 for mine (five years ago, mind..)

The reason I wanted an iPad was to get away from using the tv. Or a Macbook..

ahh bladdy 'ell

Get an old Mini. I have one running SL as a media centre and it's fine.

Can get the old one for half the new price.

Chris(topher) I have a 27" surprise for you later on. I'll get some photos soon (or it didn't happen IIRC).

You might as well have a refresh. Tiger is an old OS now, in anyone's (Mac)book.

27" iMac + iPhone 4.

Roll like a pro.

The man speaks sense, i got an i7 27" with upgraded ram to 8gb and its immense, i've only recently become a mac convert! iphone 4 is next on the list :D

Get an old Mini. I have one running SL as a media centre and it's fine.

Can get the old one for half the new price.

where? I like the sound of this.

But the new one is getting me excited just looking at pictures of it. Sleek little (expensive) b**ch.

RS Megane DCi 175
I've an oldschool Mini as well - it had 512mb RAM originally, the same as the iPhone4 FFS.
I was contemplating upgrading to some new hardware but as I literally use the Mini as mainly a media player (it's hooked up the TV) it really is overkill IMO.

So I upgraded the RAM to 2GB (the max on the old model) and installed Snow Leopard. I guess it's all in what you intend to do with it, but now it's an absolute flying machine! Runs all the media apps very quickly and all for less than £100.

How much RAM is in your Mini? You only need 1GB for SL, but more is recommended.

How much RAM is in your Mini? You only need 1GB for SL, but more is recommended.

512Mb in the one I've got now. But I can't run Snow Leopard on it even if upgraded that, as its a G4.

I'm scouring eBay like a mental at the minute..

RS Megane DCi 175
512Mb in the one I've got now. But I can't run Snow Leopard on it even if upgraded that, as its a G4.

I'm scouring eBay like a mental at the minute..

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, that's a bit of a problem. LOL.

AAGH!
Been watching a few auctions of the old shape core 2 duo minis on't bay today, few of them with decent spec and ideal for what I'm looking for. I'm bidding away like a loon then FIVE times in the last minute I get outbid massively (different auctions), so massively I might as well buy a new one. Pain in the royal arse.

Don't pretend you don't care; you do.

FML..etc...etc..

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
AAGH!
Been watching a few auctions of the old shape core 2 duo minis on't bay today, few of them with decent spec and ideal for what I'm looking for. I'm bidding away like a loon then FIVE times in the last minute I get outbid massively (different auctions), so massively I might as well buy a new one. Pain in the royal arse.

Don't pretend you don't care; you do.

FML..etc...etc..

You're bidding before the last minute of an auction? That's your problem, you're doing nothing but raising the final auction price.

Occasionally yeah but not by much - Really doesn't make any sense to bid before the final minute does it then? blah
I was carrying on into the final minute - but then it kept getting stupidly mental.

cooking funts.