ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple CarPlay / USB Issues

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

So I have an iPhone 6S Plus, which I've been connecting via USB to my car, which runs CarPlay.

About a week ago, whilst driving, it suddenly cut off, so CarPlay shut off, and the phone stopped charging via the USB port. Now, whenever I plug it in to the car, it doesn't do anything - it doesn't open the Audi Smartphone Interface (and thus CarPlay) and won't charge through the USB.

When I got home that night, it also wouldn't charge on my normal cable (standard Apple charger) but this seems to have resolved itself now.

I've tried all the standard tricks:

Force Restart
Checked for Software Update (it was up to date)
Changed USB socket in the car (there are 2)
Changed cable (I've used official Apple and Amazon certified)

None of the above works. It's not the USB port, as I've plugged in different phones and they work.

Any ideas?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It's probably down to the phone no longer "trusting" the car, mines done it on a few things, only way to fix it is resetting the phone I'm afraid.

Only other thing is check Siri is turned on.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
It's probably down to the phone no longer "trusting" the car, mines done it on a few things, only way to fix it is resetting the phone I'm afraid.

Only other thing is check Siri is turned on.
By reset, you mean the full wallop? So all content and settings? Bummer if so.

Siri is on, so it's not that. Even so, I think CarPlay still initialises, it just doesn't openly fully, and gives you an error message on the car's screen.

If it's a "trust" issue, would that also affect the fact that it doesn't charge?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
By reset, you mean the full wallop? So all content and settings? Bummer if so.

Siri is on, so it's not that. Even so, I think CarPlay still initialises, it just doesn't openly fully, and gives you an error message on the car's screen.

If it's a "trust" issue, would that also affect the fact that it doesn't charge?

Yeah complete wipe unfortunately, try a settings reset first see if it works just incase.

Not sure about the charging I think mine would charge but you had to plug it in and out a few times to get it to work.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Sounds bizarre but make sure there isn't any fluff or shite in the phones charging port. All my iPhones have behaved really strangely when there is and it comes to plugging it in.

I just use a can of compressed air and a pin. Be careful not to scratch the contacts though.

Untrusting a device wouldn't affect it charging, it just won't allow data from the phone to be fetched from whatever you don't trust.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Yes, every iPhone I've had (bar my current 7 plus) has had charging issues at least once in it's lifespan. And every time it's been fluff in the charging port.

I always use a wooden cocktail stick to clean the port out.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to say in the OP, but I've also cleaned out the charging port, with a pin and some compressed air. Made no difference!

Listerine & Poledo
You haven't spent enough money in an Apple store over the last 6 months, so it's gone into Pauper Mode

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Did you get anywhere sorting it out?
Sorry bud, only just saw this.

In short, no. The local Apple Store aren't great when it comes to Genius availability. However, randomly, yesterday, I plugged in my phone whilst the engine was actually running (rather than with the ignition on, if you know what I mean) and it worked, for the first time in a week or two. So with that in mind, I'm thinking it might be due to the amount of power the phone requires, and the car isn't providing enough without the actual engine running?

I might be barking up a very wrong tree there though, lol.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Mine randomly started working again the other day. For 3 days, then stopped again. My wife's iPhone works in the car though, so it's definitely my phone.